Viewing Shocker sports events?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viewing Shocker sports events?

Is it my imagination or is the AAC quite a large step backwards in viewing our sports events from home? Do we have anything at all to compare to the Valley on ESPN3 or am I failing to look in the right place? As far as I can locate there is nothing at all to see any of the volleyball games, womens basketball, and only a few non conference mens' basketball... I found a list that /1/ conference volleyball game will be streamed.. 1? This is really disappointing.

I'm not sure where to look, but I read somewhere that they show all their games on the AAC YouTube channel.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

I just searched on YouTube.

The official YouTube channel of the American Athletic Conference

Comment

I did the searching for this digital network information but that didn't give me any sort of positive information regarding the volleyball games. I sorta got hooked on watching the girls so I guess I'm spoiled. I think the American Conference is really *backward* on the support for other forms of sports than Football or maybe basketball. I was able to watch the girls games the last couple of years for the most part either on espn3 or even the Cox channel at times. There is not just a lessoning of the games shown but totally zilch, nada... WSU has a very good team and I for one am disappointed that the new league doesn't realize the value in getting their name publicized. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the men's basketball games don't also get this sort of treatment and that at least Cox will still get the games espn or cbssports don't pick up. It seems like a poor tradeoff if we change conferences and get stuck back in a closet somewhere.

Comment

Edit: Laughs.. I read the American BBS board and right now it is mostly football.. Some real kind American Football fan has made a kiddie pool for the Shockers to wait in until it is January and they condescend to concede it is no longer football season.

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
            I did the searching for this digital network information but that didn't give me any sort of positive information regarding the volleyball games. I sorta got hooked on watching the girls so I guess I'm spoiled. I think the American Conference is really *backward* on the support for other forms of sports than Football or maybe basketball. I was able to watch the girls games the last couple of years for the most part either on espn3 or even the Cox channel at times. There is not just a lessoning of the games shown but totally zilch, nada... WSU has a very good team and I for one am disappointed that the new league doesn't realize the value in getting their name publicized. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the men's basketball games don't also get this sort of treatment and that at least Cox will still get the games espn or cbssports don't pick up. It seems like a poor tradeoff if we change conferences and get stuck back in a closet somewhere.
            A couple of things, even assuming that there are less non-revenue sports broadcasts in the American:

1. It was only very recently that the MVC had much in the way of these broadcasts available with the deal they made with ESPN3. That deal meant that the MVC had way more of its non-revenue sports broadcast on ESPN3 than most conferences. This isn't about the American being backwards so much as the MVC (for once) having more options in this area than most conferences.

2. The problematic reason that the Valley had more broadcasts is that it was a conference that essentially gave away its media rights in exchange for any exposure it could muster. Most large conferences make real money on their media rights, so they don't get in the habit of telling an entity like ESPN that it can broadcasts its sports without paying the conference anything and that the conference schools will be responsible for all of the cost of the broadcasts other than the online hosting. So yes, the Valley got a bunch of stuff available to be streamed, but at the cost of actually providing any revenue to its members for media rights.

3. I know that Aresco has been public about looking into new media opportunities, including emerging streaming platforms. Unlike the Valley, the AAC will be trying to actually get payment for its content from platforms, which may slow adoption somewhat, but I think it is fair to expect that things like the Youtube broadcasts of non-revenue sports and similar efforts will continue to grow.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
              A couple of things, even assuming that there are less non-revenue sports broadcasts in the American:

1. It was only very recently that the MVC had much in the way of these broadcasts available with the deal they made with ESPN3. That deal meant that the MVC had way more of its non-revenue sports broadcast on ESPN3 than most conferences. This isn't about the American being backwards so much as the MVC (for once) having more options in this area than most conferences.

2. The problematic reason that the Valley had more broadcasts is that it was a conference that essentially gave away its media rights in exchange for any exposure it could muster. Most large conferences make real money on their media rights, so they don't get in the habit of telling an entity like ESPN that it can broadcasts its sports without paying the conference anything and that the conference schools will be responsible for all of the cost of the broadcasts other than the online hosting. So yes, the Valley got a bunch of stuff available to be streamed, but at the cost of actually providing any revenue to its members for media rights.

3. I know that Aresco has been public about looking into new media opportunities, including emerging streaming platforms. Unlike the Valley, the AAC will be trying to actually get payment for its content from platforms, which may slow adoption somewhat, but I think it is fair to expect that things like the Youtube broadcasts of non-revenue sports and similar efforts will continue to grow.
              Thanks. That makes this more understandable and I will just hold my impatience to see what happens. I can see looking through the last years records that most of the men's basketball was at least available by streaming if not on a tv channel. Many of the womens basketball was on their digital stream.

Comment

Ask and ye shall receive...
                78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                  Wonderful. Any news on MBB or away events? Not sure if it would be worth it for Home only tbh
                  Brummett throws, STRUCK HIM OUT! THE SHOCKERS ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS! AN UNBELIEVABLE STORY!

Comment

Yeah, I saw that and took out a subscription. Oregon is also streaming the WSU vs Oregon this weekend. I am hopeful that since mbb isn't mentioned that all of those games will be on television.

Comment

Originally posted by Onegreatracer View Post
                      Wonderful. Any news on MBB or away events? Not sure if it would be worth it for Home only tbh
                      I would imagine that men's basketball isn't included since all games will be televised in one way or another.

Away games for the other sports are probably dictated by the host school. Some might get them placed on ESPN3 but we will just have to wait and see, I guess.
                      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                        IMHO this is really a much better deal than the Valley's ESPN3 deal which did not generate much if any revenue. The only thing the ESPN3 deal did was to negatively impact attendance at home volleyball and WBB matches and perhaps home softball matches as well.

At least this option will provide a revenue stream from those who prefer to stay home or are otherwise unable to attend home events for whatever reason.

Not only that but this package will no doubt be bought by some season ticket holders. I have volleyball and WBB season tickets and I plan on buying this package. There will probably be the occassional match or game I will miss and even if don't miss any games I will buy this package just to be able to watch replays.

Hopefully, the production quality will be good.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 6, 2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Shocker Volleyball TV Schedule

Comment

Listening to the Oregon announcer was enlightening. I had no idea that MVC meant Mountain Valley Conference. I forgot that anything east of the Rockies just must be in the valley eh? I guess the back east coasters aren't the only ones who have a poor perception of geography. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
                              Listening to the Oregon announcer was enlightening. I had no idea that MVC meant Mountain Valley Conference. I forgot that anything east of the Rockies just must be in the valley eh? I guess the back east coasters aren't the only ones who have a poor perception of geography. lol
                              If he ever visits Kansas a must stop for him will be Mt. Sunflower. I have scaled Mt. Sunflower and I'm sure it would leave a big impression on him. Believe it or not there is a Little Free Library at Mt. Sunflower so if you have a few old books you would like to get rid of take them with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X