Memphis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memphis

I have a feeling that if I heard Tubby Smith's side of the story I would end up siding with him.

Comment

Tough situation here.

I'm decent friends with a person who regularly has lunch with the Memphis AD. Tubby came in saying it was going to be his way, and that his way will get them to where they want to go. That being said, Tubby can't go around alienating Memphis HS's and Team Penny. Memphis produces some damn good talent each year and he better find a way to get in with it or he will be gone fairly fast. Memphis is an interesting city, and an interesting university. I think Tubby is good for them, but this city will drop UM basketball so fast if Tubby doesn't get it together.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Yes, Tubby has put himself in a very tough position. If you get off to a poor start at a place like Memphis you simply may not have the luxury of enough time to right the ship. Tubby may have already alienated the Memphis fan base to the point he won't be able to recover. And has Memphis tied their fortunes to Tubby come hell or highwater with the contract they game him? I wish Tubby well but I think he may have created a very tough challenge for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
          Tough situation here.

I'm decent friends with a person who regularly has lunch with the Memphis AD. Tubby came in saying it was going to be his way, and that his way will get them to where they want to go. That being said, Tubby can't go around alienating Memphis HS's and Team Penny. Memphis produces some damn good talent each year and he better find a way to get in with it or he will be gone fairly fast. Memphis is an interesting city, and an interesting university. I think Tubby is good for them, but this city will drop UM basketball so fast if Tubby doesn't get it together.

Quoting from Shakespeare's Hamlet:
          'Tu bby or not Tu bby. That is the question.'

Comment

Smith had to have known that if he demoted Lawson he'd risk losing Lawson's kids, but for some reason he was willing to take that risk. This may be a case of organizational ineptitude, but I'm going to assume otherwise until I know more.
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              Smith had to have known that if he demoted Lawson he'd risk losing Lawson's kids, but for some reason he was willing to take that risk. This may be a case of organizational ineptitude, but I'm going to assume otherwise until I know more.
              Exactly. This is why I have a feeling I would side with Tubby. I bet it was a bad situation having dad involved so closely with the coaching of his sons. Tubby probably didn't like what he saw and changed dad's title to make his role a little more clear. He probably weighed the possible outcomes and decided it was still worth it, given the situation. So now everyone is quitting. Seems like a good fit for Bill Self...

A lot of times, stuff like this ends up being addition by subtraction. If these guys were so great, why wasn't Memphis able to win any games? It's the classic case of guys who average good stats on a bad team. Tubby is gonna end up being right in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                A lot of times, stuff like this ends up being addition by subtraction. If these guys were so great, why wasn't Memphis able to win any games?
                Boom. They had both these guys last year and went 8-13 against the RPI Top 200. Smith's biggest mistake is that he didn't just blow the whole mess up when he got there.

Comment

This whole situation would be amusing if we weren't in the same conference. Just our luck but it appears that Memphis will suck at a time when we want as many quality games as possible.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                    This whole situation would be amusing if we weren't in the same conference. Just our luck but it appears that Memphis will suck at a time when we want as many quality games as possible.
                    Agreed. Tubby at this stage of his career is a really bad fit at Memphis.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                      Boom. They had both these guys last year and went 8-13 against the RPI Top 200. Smith's biggest mistake is that he didn't just blow the whole mess up when he got there.
                      Or without them they would have been 4-17...I guess we will see, but from what I watched of Memphis last year they would have been in massive trouble without these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                        Or without them they would have been 4-17...I guess we will see, but from what I watched of Memphis last year they would have been in massive trouble without these guys.
                        We may get some sense of that next fall and winter.

Comment

Tubby is bringing in the JUCO AA team for next year. Shades of Huggins at Cincinnati.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                            Is the difference between 4-17 and 8-13 worth that big of a mess? Neither one is getting you anywhere. Might as well do it with guys that care and without having to pay their dad.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                              Is the difference between 4-17 and 8-13 worth that big of a mess? Neither one is getting you anywhere. Might as well do it with guys that care and without having to pay their dad.
                              Not sure that paying Dad is the big issue. But having the begatter begetting to much bygoshing (meaning leverage and say) vis 'a vis the head coach may not be the healthiest situation. If Memphis wanted to hook their fortunes to the Lawson family they should have just made Papa Lawson the head coach when they got rid of Pastner.

Comment

Working...
                              X