Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn and Kevin Ollie

This blurb from The Athletic:

UConn improperly fired former coach Kevin Ollie, a court arbitrator ruled Thursday, a source told The Athletic. The school must pay Ollie — who coached the Huskies from 2012 to 2018 and won a national title in 2014 — $11 million within 10 business days. File this one away for the next time a coach gets fired for cause.
    I'm sure there must have been details that put their reasons to fire for cause at issue, but I think it's clear that if you don't fire for cause right away, you've missed your window to do it legally.

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
    This blurb from The Athletic:

I'm sure there must have been details that put their reasons to fire for cause at issue, but I think it's clear that if you don't fire for cause right away, you've missed your window to do it legally.
    There was a time I'd felt bad for UConn regarding this.

2be1y3a.jpg

hysterical-laughter.jpg

gj5f4a.jpg

Comment

Dom Amore, Hartford Courant
      Thu, January 20, 2022, 2:49 PM·

Former UConn men’s basketball coach Kevin Ollie has won his four-year legal battle with the university over the years and compensation remaining on his contract when he was fired in March 2018. Arbitrator Mark Irvings, in his ruling, found that UConn “violated the collective bargaining agreement when it terminated Kevin Ollie without just cause.” At UConn, coaches are members of the American ...

Former UConn men’s basketball coach Kevin Ollie has won his four-year legal battle with the university over the years and compensation remaining on his contract when he was fired in March 2018.

Arbitrator Mark Irvings, in his ruling, found that UConn “violated the collective bargaining agreement when it terminated Kevin Ollie without just cause.” At UConn, coaches are members of the American Association of University Professors, which filed a grievance on Ollie’s behalf. Ollie must receive $11,157,032.95 within the next 10 business days.

Ollie coached six seasons, winning the NCAA title in 2014, but posting sub .500 records in his last two seasons. UConn came under NCAA scrutiny for several infractions, the most serious of which was the players’ use of an outside trainer in Georgia. The NCAA eventually issued a three-year show cause order, citing Ollie for what it considers a “level one” violation, providing false or misleading information to NCAA investigators, and other relatively minor level two and three infractions.

The investigation hadn’t been completed when UConn initiated proceedings to fire Ollie for “just cause” on March 10, 2018, the day after the season ended. On that day, Ollie vowed to clear his name.

“UConn vigorously disagrees with the decision of the arbitrator and maintains without reservation that the decision to terminate Kevin Ollie when it did was the correct and appropriate decision,” the university said. “Indeed, in his decision, the arbitrator agrees that the NCAA’s ruling that Ollie engaged in serious NCAA violations gave UConn sufficient basis to terminate Ollie for just cause. However, the arbitrator concluded that UConn should have waited the 16 months it took for the NCAA proceedings to conclude before terminating Ollie.

Comment

So they were right, but they were right too soon?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          So they were right, but they were right too soon?
          Yea, you can't be proactive...
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

No. UCONN was flat out wrong. That why they got socked for 11 million. I LOVE IT !!!!!!!. And the chickenhawks were wrong for what they did Dave Beaty. That's why they settled for a boat load of money. And then went out and hired a sexual predator. Both UCONN and chickenhawks got what they deserved.

Comment

Working...
            X