A Look Back at AAC-Year 1 and a Look Forward to AAC-Year 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Look Back at AAC-Year 1 and a Look Forward to AAC-Year 2

As expected the Shockers found the competition overall in the AAC much tougher than the MVC. Whereas in recent years the Shocks had an average All-Sports finish of 2.2 to 2.5 in the MVC their average finish in the AAC in year 1 was 5.37. All-in-all though I think the Shocks generally had a good showing in the AAC and have shown they belong.

Men's Sports had an average finish of 4.93 as follows:

Men's Cross Country: 5th place out of 10 teams. The Shockers return 3 of the 5 runners who scored in the AAC Championships. Will need a couple of guys to step up next season to maintain this result.

Men's Basketball: 2nd place tie with Houston. Made the NCAA Tournament as a 4 seed but lost in the 1st round to leave a bad taste. Shocks lose a ton but have an interesting group of incoming recruits. Shocks only have 5 years of D-1 experience returning next season. Will just have to wait and see how far inexperienced talent will take us next year.

Men's Indoor Track & Field: 3rd place out of 8 teams. A good performance in a good track and field league. Shocks lose a stud in Hunter Veith but not much more. Should be competitive again next year.

Baseball: 7th place out of 9 teams. After a very good start to the season the Shocks faltered badly in AAC play and went from possibly hosting a regional to totally missing NCAA play. With a school record-tying 10 draft picks the Shockers failure to make the NCAA Tournament was cleary disappointing. The Shocks are losing as much talent as anyone in the AAC and more than most. They will be relying on less proven players and newcomers to step in next year. Again only time will tell for sure how that will go. The AAC will help the Shocks if they can just be more competitive in AAC play.

Men's Golf: Usually very successful in the MVC the Shocker Men's Golf team found the going much tougher in the ACC finishing 10th out of 10 teams in the AAC Championship. The golf team will graduate 4 of the 5 players who played in the AAC Championship. The do have the 6A and 5A Oklahoma High School Champions coming aboard next year but the Shocks have a long way to go to be competitive in this sport in the AAC.

Men's Tennis: The Shocks were the #4 seed out of 10 teams at the AAC Championships but lost to the #5 seed in the 1st round. The Shockers did not play in the NCAA Touranment. Like golf a big step up in the overall quality of play from the MVC. The Shocks lose only one senior from this year's team so hopefully they will not lose any ground next year.

Men's Outdoor Track & Field: The Shocks matched their indoor performance of 3rd place this time out of 9 teams despite injury issues afflicting Hunter Veith. The Shocker's had the #1 ranked javelin squad in the country this year and have the 2 best of those 4 guys returning. Should be fine next year despite losing Hunter Veith. Houston and their squadron of speedsters just finished 3rd overall in the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Women's Sports had an average finish of 5.75 as follows:

Volleyball: The best 1st year AAC performance by a Shocker team (and our only Championship) belongs to Volleyball with an undefeated regular season championship (20-0) and an overall record of 29-4 culminating in the Shockers hosting an NCAA sub-regional for the 1st time ever at which Shocker fans responded by showing up in record numbers (7,258). The Lady Shocks will lose some very key players including AAC Player of the Year Abbie Lehman and AAC Setter of the Year in Emily Heibert. However, the Shockers have a couple of interesting transfers and other quality players in the program and Lambo is challenging them with one of the toughest, if not the toughest, non-con schedules he has ever put together. Shocks should again be very competitive in the AAC but it may not be as clear sailing next year as it was this year.

Women's Cross Country: 6th place out of 12 teams. Considering a redshirt for Rebekah Topham, one of the Shockers, top runners, and that they only lose 1 senior from an otherwise young team the arrow should be pointing up for the Shocker women next season.

Women's Baketball: In Coach Keitha Adam's 1st season the Shocks, after a so-so start to the season and after being picked to finish 10th in the AAC, rallied to finish in a 5th place tie which I thought was quite positive. However, the Shockers had a senior-laden team and after losing those 8 seniors they, like the Shocker men, will only return a combined total of 5 years D-1 experience next season. Also like 3G and his staff, HCKA appears to have done a good job with recruiting but again only time will tell how such an inexperienced group will fare next year. I imagine they will be picked to finish near the bottom of the AAC again next year. We do get UConn at home next year. Which provides an opportunity to see one of the great programs in the country but also could be way more than this Shocker team is ready to deal with. But it will be interesting.

Women's Indoor Track and Field: The Lady Shocks finished 12th in the AAC Indoor Championships. We new it would be tough going with all the talent that departed after last season and with the decision by Coach Rainbolt to basically pass on this season in favor of the future by redshirting around 26 of his young athletes. Shocks should start moving up the ladder next season I would think.

Women's Golf: The Shockers finished 5th out of 10 teams in the AAC Golf Championships which I think was about the best they could do with the talent they have. Shocker Sr. Taryn Torgerson, probably the best Shocker women's golfer in school history, carried the Shockers to the finish by winning the individual medalist title at the AAC Tournament with a closing tournament and school record 64. We lose one other senior along with Taryn but I think it is safe to say replacing Taryn will not be very likely. The Shocks will be hard pressed to finish this high in next year's AAC Championship,.

Softball: The Shockers finished tied for 3rd in a very tightly bunched group of AAC softball teams. Coming into the year the Shockers had big question marks about their pitching. UNI transfer Bailey Lange answered most of those questions. The strength of the AAC helped the Shockers earn their 1st ever NCAA at-large bid. The Shocks represented well winning 2 games in NCAA post-season play for the 1st time in school history and making to the regional finals. The Shocks also defeated Oklahoma State 4 times this past year. The Shocks lose 3 seniors including 3B Mckenzie Wright, the AAC Player of the Year, and Paige Luellen, the career RBI leader at Wichita State. However, if they can do even a moderately decent job of replacing Mckenzie and Paige they should be competitive again next year.

Women's Tennis: The Lady Shockers, after totally dominating MVC Tennis, had another really good year going into the AAC Championship as the #4 seed out of 12 teams. After defeating 6th seeded Houston and falling to 2nd seeded Tulsa in the AAC Championshps, the Shockers after playing a very challenging schedule were rewarded with an NCAA at-large bid. They upset #27 Syracuse (in fact, they embarrassed Syracuse -- just ask Syracuse's 5th ranked singles player) in Round 1 and the fell to 8th ranked Ole Miss in a very hard fought battle in the 2nd round. The Shocks finished the year with a #32 national ranking. The Shockers lose two very good seniors in Gabriella Porubin and Giulia Guidetti. They have very good players returning but will need to replace the 2 seniors with good players in order to maintain their depth.

Women's Outdoor Track and Field: The Lady Shocks managed to improve on their last place indoor finish with a 9th place finish out of 12 teams in the outdoor AAC Championships thanks to stellar performances from Fr. Winny Koskei, who won both the 5k and 10k races, and Fr. Kendra Henry coming from way down in the last 2 events to win the heptathlon. Considering Coach Rainbolt is redshirting close to half his team this was actually a positive result. Things should start to get better for the Shocker women beginning next season although the AAC has some very good track and field athletes.

Overall the Shockers held their own in their 1st year. We have some challenges next year reloading in some programs especially in both basketball programs, baseball, volleyball and both golf programs that will be interesting to see how they play out.

:poster_shocks:

Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 10, 2018, 10:01 PM.

Does the American have an All Sports Trophy? Is there a list of the results by school?
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Does the American have an All Sports Trophy? Is there a list of the results by school?
      The AAC does not have an All-Sports Trophy. I do not know of any list of results by school. Would not be hard to do but would require some time and effort. Not sure the inerest in that is enough to make the effort worthwhile.

The Shockers and Tulsa have their Havoc in the Heartland rivalry series although other than here on Shockernet I have not seen or heard anything in the media about the 2017-18 results (won by Wichita State 35-31). Supposedly there was going to be a trophy but who knows. Would not surpirse me if they just let this idea quietly fade away, if it hasn't already.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The AAC does not have an All-Sports Trophy. I do not know of any list of results by school. Would not be hard to do but would require some time and effort. Not sure the inerest in that is enough to make the effort worthwhile.

The Shockers and Tulsa have their Havoc in the Heartland rivalry series although other than here on Shockernet I have not seen or heard anything in the media about the 2017-18 results (won by Wichita State 35-31). Supposedly there was going to be a trophy but who knows. Would not surpirse me if they just let this idea quietly fade away, if it hasn't already.
        That's too bad the AAC doesn't have an All Sports Trophy. Yeah, I wouldn't spend any time compiling that ... I was just wondering if there was a link to the results if there was an All Sports Trophy.

Comment

There is such a wide range of sports and which schools do what, this would be really difficult. For example, there are 21 "conference" sports. 10 men and 11 women. UConn covers these sports the best participating in 20 of them (no women's golf).

In men's sports there are 3 schools, UCF, Temple and SMU, that only do 6 of the 10 sports and even then, they don't do all the same 6. Only men's indoor and outdoor track are the only ones that all 3 do not do. There are 3 schools, WSU, Tulane, and Houston, that only do 7 sports and all 3 of these schools do men's indoor and outdoor track, but still none of these 3 do the same sports. WSU no football, Tulane no men's golf, Houston no men's tennis.

Women's sports are better as there are 6 sports that all the schools do. However, it's pretty jumbled up after that: UConn and Temple no golf, Tulane and WSU no soccer, and Cincy, SMU, Temple, and Tulane no softball.

Comment

• Kung Wu
            Kung Wu commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, yeah, so just work it out so that WSU wins it each year and I'll roll with that formula.

There is an "All-Sports" ranking out there somewhere. During one of my play sessions with Tulsa fans on the CSNBBS board, they pounded their chests over their national ranking in that category. They were around 60ish if I remember right and we were around 100. You can find the site if you want to peruse a few of the massive smack threads I'm proud to say I fathered.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

There is an "All-Sports" ranking out there somewhere. During one of my play sessions with Tulsa fans on the CSNBBS board, they pounded their chests over their national ranking in that category. They were around 60ish if I remember right and we were around 100. You can find the site if you want to peruse a few of the massive smack threads I'm proud to say I fathered.

T

Ugh, so that's like a Division 1 wide All Sports ranking? That's crazy! Cool, but only if soccer and basketball outweigh all other sports -- because you know, they are the best two.

Comment

Found it!

https://thedirectorscup.com/current-...-18-standings/

Here's the winter 2018 standings - http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...6overallDI.pdf

We're 6th in the Final Winter 2018 standings.

Eat your heart out stats nerds!!!

T

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                Here's last year's final - https://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...1final2017.pdf

Tulsa finished 1st in the AAC at 68th. We finished 139th in the MVC (SWOMO finished 1st out of the Valley at 135)...

T

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Not sure I can agree with something that has Denver #40 and New Hampshire #50.

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                It's all about post-season success in each sport regardless of how many sports you participate in. It appears Denver hacked the system a little bit, but 1-50 is the who's who of college athletics.

T

Paul Suellentrip with a nice review of Year 1 in the AAC:

RH: Wichita State's Year in Review

Comment

Working...
              X