Congratulations to the UCF Knights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congratulations to the UCF Knights

UCF with an impressvie 34-27 New Year's Day bowl win over #7 ranked Auburn in the Chik-Fil-A Peach Bowl to close out a 13-0 season.

Now that is a Pow6r worthy performance.

:encouragement:

As I posted in the American forum I am awarding them the National Championship.

Comment

And as I posted in the American forum, because UCF doesn't even get a chance to play for a national championship, it irks me to no end.

Comment

Their AD is claiming the national championship! https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...each-bowl-win/

Comment

Honestly their resume even deserves it at this point. Beating Auburn in particular checked all the boxes. It’s lretty fun to see actually. All of the arguments against UCF literally get answered by beating the team who has wins over both of the finalists.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            No doubt. Arguably, with Georgia and Alabama playing in the so-called BCS championship game, the UCF-Auburn game was the people's championship game. The Georgia-Alabama winner is already a tainted championship. So here we are back to having a mythical national champion.
            Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 2, 2018, 12:51 PM.

We can come up with hypothetical situations all day. But if you expanded the field to 8, included UCF, OSU, and the Pac-12 Champ, and played the same tournament 100 times, I would imagine Bama and Georgia would be in the championship game a majority of the simulations.
          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Why do a simulation? Expand the tournament and actually play the games. But just once, not 100 times.

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
          We can come up with hypothetical situations all day. But if you expanded the field to 8, included UCF, OSU, and the Pac-12 Champ, and played the same tournament 100 times, I would imagine Bama and Georgia would be in the championship game a majority of the simulations.
          So you're trying to justify not having a legitimate way to crown a champion by saying that the same ole teams would win anyway.

That's like saying we should just start with a final 4 and not bother with letting 68 teams into the NCAA tournament because UNcheat, Duke, UK, & KU would likely end up the final four anyway.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• UCONN_Husky
            UCONN_Husky commented
            Editing a comment
            UCONN would only have 1 National Championship in that scenario. How awful.

I do think it will be difficult for the AAC to consistently field a team that can compete at the top of college football on a consistent basis. But it would be nice that when they do, like UCF did this year, they have an opportunity to prove it on the field (and in a way UCF did that).

If the FCS can figure our how to do a 24-team tournament I would think the BCS could figure out how to do an 8-team or even a 16-team tournament.

Comment

• UCONN_Husky
            UCONN_Husky commented
            Editing a comment
            True, but until it expands to 8 teams, AAC football is like WSU in the MVC - You gotta run the table or you're screwed...

• 1972Shocker
            1972Shocker commented
            Editing a comment
            Apparently running the table.isn't even enough with the current 4 team system. I assume with 8 teams they wouild have been in. Getting into an 8 team field probably would still require an AAC team to run the table.

• WheatShock
            WheatShock commented
            Editing a comment
            UCF wouldn't have gotten in even with an 8 team playoff, they were ranked 12th.

Congrats UCF. One of the Power 5 conferences will likely solve this dilemma shortly through expansion - As we know, the Mighty Big 12 only has 10 members.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
            Congrats UCF. One of the Power 5 conferences will likely solve this dilemma shortly through expansion - As we know, the Mighty Big 12 only has 10 members.
            Except they just went through that song and dance and came back with no expansion, making a lot of people look like fools.

The B1G getting shut out, then winning it's bottle games will have more influence than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
              Perhaps your imagination and 100 simulations shouldn't determine a champion.

On the bright side, I have more time on my hands not paying attention to a sport that hand-picks its favorites.

Congrats to my hand-picked 2017 College Football Champs, UCF.

Comment

UCF is going to Disney world!!!......wait.

Comment

I don’t know why they don’t just take all the conference champions and put them in a playoff. If the SEC is pissed because they have a gazillion teams, they could break into two conferences. The Sunbelt could be booted if necessary.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• wheathead
                    wheathead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That would totally screw up Missouri State's aspirations.

UCF needs to get a grip. It's easy to say you are the national champions when you don't have to beat Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, or OU. In football only the top 4 teams get in. His team wasn't the a top 4 team despite going undefeated. Plain and simple.

The AD looks like a fool when he has one undefeated season and thinks they need to change CFB playoffs. He didn't think that when his team when completely defeated a few years ago.
                  Last edited by Shaqness; January 5, 2018, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• wufan
                    wufan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Seriously? They beat Auburn who beat Georgia and Alabama. If they don’t play the games how do you know they aren’t better? They literally beat every team they played.

• Shaqness
                    Shaqness commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Look at their undefeated schedule, and then look at those teams you mentioned.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I do think it will be difficult for the AAC to consistently field a team that can compete at the top of college football on a consistent basis. But it would be nice that when they do, like UCF did this year, they have an opportunity to prove it on the field (and in a way UCF did that).

If the FCS can figure our how to do a 24-team tournament I would think the BCS could figure out how to do an 8-team or even a 16-team tournament.
                  An 8 team tournament isn't hard. Conference winners from P5 conferences. Best conference winner of the G5 conferences. 2 at-large bids to the best remaining teams. Seed according to whatever metric you want.

This year that would have put Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio State, USC, UCF, Alabama, and Wisconsin. Seeding by CFB Playoff Rankings you get your tournament:

1 Clemson vs 8 UCF
                  3 Georgia vs 6 Wisconsin

4 Alabama vs 5 Ohio State
                  2 Oklahoma vs 7 USC

Don't tell me it can't be done. It can, and should. This is an absolutely fair proposal. If you win your P5 conference, you have a chance to play for the title. Great group of 5 teams won't be excluded. And for everyone else, you have at-larges. And while I fully understand the at-larges would just be a way to get 3 SEC teams in every year, it at least opens the door for multiple group of 5 teams.

Comment

Working...
                  X