No announcement yet.

Whatever happened to.....Gus Grebe????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever happened to.....Gus Grebe????

Hey! Just joined this group since I grew up near the town of Cassoday from 1963 thru 1977 before moving down to Texas. Back in the day, my dad was a faithful listener to WSU football and men's basketball and loved listening to the PBP calls from the legendary Gus Grebe. So, my question: Whatever happened to "the voice of the Shockers" back in the day? Thanks for your time!

Huh. My family is from Chase County (Cedar Point/Homestead) and Burns.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Gus is alive and kicking in Upland, California. He is pushing 90 if not older.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        He is not ready to be put in the "ole deep freeze" yet.

Comment

Gus Grebe 1973

http://media.kfhradio.com/a/21598054/gus-grebe-1973.htm
          ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
            He just turned 96 on March 30.

Here he was at 90.

Comment

An ageless voice.

Comment

Welcome aboard @wiseowl51: . I'm from Cassoday myself. My family moved away when I was 5 but my grandparents lived north of the turnpike until they passed in the 90's. I'd be surprised if you didn't know them. Last farmstead on 177 before the road turns to the east.
                One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
                  Welcome aboard @wiseowl51: . I'm from Cassoday myself. My family moved away when I was 5 but my grandparents lived north of the turnpike until they passed in the 90's. I'd be surprised if you didn't know them. Last farmstead on 177 before the road turns to the east.
                  Huh. Interesting.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                    Huh. Interesting.
                    True story. Kinda how i met your auntie.
                    One quick note before we present the rankings: With Wichita State’s move to the American Athletic Conference, the Shockers have moved out of the mid-major club. We wish the Shockers well against Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, and more.

Comment

Out of curiosity, I listened to the KFH audio clip in the maniac's post, and I recognized Gus's voice instantly. He sounded great. I also remember that he and his wife, the lovely Mildred, got a neighborhood luminarias Christmas custom started in Bel Aire, where my parents used to live.

One other note -- I looked up the WSU 1973 football season, the one apparently featured in the audio clip, and I was reminded that one of their Valley opponents was Louisville. Could two college football programs have diverged much more dramatically?

Comment

Thanks for the info grew up with Gus and loved him .. great guy. Glad he's still kicking. He made a lot of folks Shocker fans.

Comment

Wow hope he's doing well age doesn't favor Shocker any more than others but praying for him. Hope he knows how much he meant to many of us still around and thinking of the old days. Hope he still gets to catch some of the games..

Comment

Wichita State Recalls a Crash That Killed 31

"The Wichita State broadcaster Gus Grebe was running late on the morning of Oct. 2, 1970. He was caught up chatting with an assistant coach, and arrived at the airport just as the doors to the Gold plane, the one carrying the starters, was closing up. He figured he would ride with the reserves on the Black plane, get to know them better during the leg from Wichita, Kan., to Denver and switch in the Mile High City. On that jaunt, though, a player gave him a copy of a novel to read and he was so engrossed that he waved off those who were encouraging him to change planes during the refueling stop in Denver."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

nm
                              Last edited by WstateU; May 2, 2017, 04:37 PM.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X