KOCH ARENA ANNOUNCERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KOCH ARENA ANNOUNCERS

I am a new member to Shockernet so please bear with me. I am a 1979 graduate of WSU and would like to get some info. Can anyone list the PA Announcers at Koch Arena before Don Hall? Me and some other fans were discussing this the other day and no one could remember.

I know this is a little off-topic but I'd just like to say how much I appreciate the great job Don Hall does! Watching the other announcers around the league it seems to be like they think of themselves as the star of the show. In my opinion, you should be able to go to a game and the announcer should fit perfectly with the crowd noise, and Don does a fantastic job of that!

It's a great day to be a Shocker fan!

Comment

Only wish he would pronounce ToooRay Murry correctly

Comment

I have no idea about the complete history, but I know Dave Armstrong (yes, the same guy who does a lot of TV work now) did it for a while back in the 80's when he was a local sports guy, and I loved his work -- he was the most like an NBA courtside announcer (of the cheerleader style, that is) I've ever heard in Wichita. It did not surprise me at all when he moved on to bigger things.

I believe a fellow named Ernie Tousley, who (shades of Dave Dahl) was a local lawyer, did it for a while as well.

Comment

I remember Ernie Tousley doing the announcing, I don't remember Dave Armstrong doing it. Dave was the sports guy at Channel 3 in Wichita for several years.

Comment

Originally posted by shox1989 View Post
            I remember Ernie Tousley doing the announcing, I don't remember Dave Armstrong doing it. Dave was the sports guy at Channel 3 in Wichita for several years.
            1989, if you were around when the courtside announcer used to do the elaborate NBA-style names and calls, like "SA-sha Raduuuunovich, for THREEEEEEEE" -- that was Dave Armstrong, enhancing his resume to move up in the world from Channel 3.

Comment

Couple of thoughts. First, please don't say you are a WSU graduate and then start your post with "Me and some friends".
              Second, i always thought Dave Armstrong did a great job of boosting the crowd. Don Hall does none of that. He brings no charge to the game. And given our band is down, the cheerleaders are terrible and the stupid timeout stuff (especially in the second half) destroys the flow, we could really use a supercharged PA guy. Thank goodness we have a great crowd, super coach and fab team that can overcome these deficiencies! We even had to battle a non working big screen this evening. Seriously, do we need to embarrass a four year old girl at midcourt?

Students showed up tonight. That was nice. Where is the pinwheel? Can every school in the MVC have props in the student section except WSU?
              "Two dribbles and a ham sandwich" ~ Gregg Marshall
              Wichita State, a team long on grit, made everything it shot. ~ Normal, Ill. newspaper 2/19/13

Comment

I am fine with Don Hall, because I can't stand NBA-type obnoxious announcers. Never start a sentence with "and." :)

Comment

Working...
                X