Hello and Go Shox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and Go Shox

Well the name basically says it all, did my undergrad at University of Central Missouri (then known as Central Missouri State U) and did my post grad at Wichita State where I graduated last spring. Just enjoying the ride to perfection and have been absolutely loving the past couple seasons. Anyways, howdy.

Welcome!

Is UCM the one in Warrensburg? If so, we'll be going there this fall for a high school marching band festival.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Welcome!

Is UCM the one in Warrensburg? If so, we'll be going there this fall for a high school marching band festival.
      That's the one.

Comment

Ha, more like Buhler Drum and Bugle Corps than HS Marching band. I was always jealous of them. I wanted to transfer so bad from Douglass just for marching. We were good in my time though. Second best at Andover to Buhler one time. Not bad for a 30 piece band going first in the day.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
          Ha, more like Buhler Drum and Bugle Corps than HS Marching band. I was always jealous of them. I wanted to transfer so bad from Douglass just for marching. We were good in my time though. Second best at Andover to Buhler one time. Not bad for a 30 piece band going first in the day.
          Most bands that small are difficult to watch and listen to, so I love it when one rises above their numbers. You can see the pride they have and know they have a director who is invested in the program.

Buhler went to Tulsa last year for a an event with a bunch of Bands of America types. They missed the finals by one spot, finishing 13th. I heard those bands roll in with 200+ kids and semi trailers (with the band's graphics) full of equipment and props. My younger son will be a freshman next year so we'll get to see it first hand, as they are going back. This summer Buhler's director and drum majors are going to attend a camp to see if they want to start working toward getting to BoA level, but I'm not sure if the money will be there.

There are high school music programs where you have to audition to get into the "top" marching band for competitions. If you don't make it, you are in the band that plays at football games. They rehearse after school, so you can't be in athletics. And it costs hundreds of dollars just to participate. (Buhler's cost next year is less than $100, which includes marching shoes, gloves, t-shirt and all meals for their week-long summer camp.)

Search on YouTube for the Owasso or Broken Arrow marching bands. They're crazy good.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            Most bands that small are difficult to watch and listen to, so I love it when one rises above their numbers. You can see the pride they have and know they have a director who is invested in the program.

Buhler went to Tulsa last year for a an event with a bunch of Bands of America types. They missed the finals by one spot, finishing 13th. I heard those bands roll in with 200+ kids and semi trailers (with the band's graphics) full of equipment and props. My younger son will be a freshman next year so we'll get to see it first hand, as they are going back. This summer Buhler's director and drum majors are going to attend a camp to see if they want to start working toward getting to BoA level, but I'm not sure if the money will be there.

There are high school music programs where you have to audition to get into the "top" marching band for competitions. If you don't make it, you are in the band that plays at football games. They rehearse after school, so you can't be in athletics. And it costs hundreds of dollars just to participate. (Buhler's cost next year is less than $100, which includes marching shoes, gloves, t-shirt and all meals for their week-long summer camp.)

Search on YouTube for the Owasso or Broken Arrow marching bands. They're crazy good.
            We always marched with the mentality that we were the second best band in the state, and the only band worthy of competition with us was Buhler. Then when we were scorned by bigger bands, we marched with a chip. I guess our director (an early '00s WSU grad) also graduated from the Gregg Marshall school of motivation. We fed on EVERYTHING.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
            X