I Come in Peace... RLY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Come in Peace... RLY

Gentleman and WuLords, I come to make my presence known in your lovely boards of messaging. Before I continue I feel it necessary to list my credentials.

PROS:
    I have lived here all my life.

I own two WSU shirts.

I love Spangles.

CONS:
    Co-Owner of WavingTheWheat.com

Complete Jaytard, Hawktard, Ghey-U Fan

With those things in mind, I come for enlightened discussion and minor level trolling. Good Day to you all.

Originally posted by ICThawk View Post
    I love Spangles.
    this isn't a pro...

their fries blow

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
      this isn't a pro...

their fries blow
      You SRS Clark?

Comment

Was curious about waving the wheat, an old time shocker fan told me that waving the wheat was actually started at WSU from references in the schools fight song and that the gayhawks were merely copying it. Anyone heard this before?

Comment

Originally posted by jjgoodtimes View Post
          Was curious about waving the wheat, an old time shocker fan told me that waving the wheat was actually started at WSU from references in the schools fight song and that the gayhawks were merely copying it. Anyone heard this before?
          Dont know if its true but yes I have
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
            this isn't a pro...

their fries blow
            +googolplex
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

A quick googling shows that it is believed KU starting waving the wheat at games in the 20's. WSU was still Fairmount College at that point with an enrollment in the hundreds.

I couldn't seem to find a Fairmount College fight song.

Your current fight song makes no mention of wheat at all.

Comment

Sorry it is from the alma mater not the fight song
                "long wave the yellow and the black"
                Not sure when the alma mater was written. May start a post to see if any of the older shockers have any more info. Was just curious if this was true being that the turnpike is littered with KU wave the wheat billboards and would find it interesting where it started.

Comment

Sorry it is from the alma mater not the fight song
                  "long wave the yellow and the black"
                  Not sure when the alma mater was written. May start a post to see if any of the older shockers have any more info. Was just curious if this was true being that the turnpike is littered with KU wave the wheat billboards and would find it interesting where it started.
                  Hrrmmm interesting idea. Being a complete city boy I am unaware but is much Buckwheat grown in KS? Thats they only black wheat I am aware of. Beyond that how does yellow and black = wheat?

ETA: I googled it. 3% of the worlds Buckwheat supply comes from the USA.

Comment

Could have something to do with the original nickname of this great university being the WheatShockers. That's where the wheat comes into play.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Did a little googling and could not find much history of waving the wheat but a few threads of Oklahoma State posters saying their waving song started in 1908 predates Kansas' waving of the wheat. Have not been to an OK St. basketball game but they give the impression that they do a similar waving to KU's. Most stadium traditions are copied and it's all in good fun I suppose my dislike for KU and their attitude that it is a special tradition unique to them is fueling my curiousity.

Comment

@kcshocker11: posted this link http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/aboutus/about_wushock.asp elsewhere which indicates the name Shockers (and hence wheat tie-in) started around 1904 due to the football players harvesting wheat to earn money in the off season.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Did a little googling and could not find much history of waving the wheat but a few threads of Oklahoma State posters saying their waving song started in 1908 predates Kansas' waving of the wheat. Have not been to an OK St. basketball game but they give the impression that they do a similar waving to KU's. Most stadium traditions are copied and it's all in good fun I suppose my dislike for KU and their attitude that it is a special tradition unique to them is fueling my curiousity.
                          Appreciate the honesty. I for one don't hold the "everything was invented at KU" mentality, so my curiosity is more about the quest for knowledge than proving someone wrong. As to the other posters, I don't think it has ever been in doubt that WSU has a strong association to wheat. I hope no one here pretends that Wichita holds a monopoly on wheat production in the state. Anyone in the plains has a right to a connection to it, and despite what some people may think Lawrence is also in the state of Kansas.

For those interested in the ACTUAL story behind OSU's Waving Song go here: http://www.ostatesports.com/community/showthread.php?t=5569

Comment

Alright...... I'll bend a little. I have made a new avatar for myself.

Comment

OMG -- that avatar is sooo condescending! Look at how that beedy eyed chickenhawk is staring at us.

And of COURSE the cockscomb on the "hawks" head has 3 folds in it. One representing each D1 school in Kansas and little old WSU on the bottom is sooo much littler than big "flagship" KUs on the top.

And then you have the nerve to show the chicken shivering, just mocking us as if to say, "I'm SOOO scared to play WSU". Oh gawwwd so trollish. So ... so .. trollish.

But why is the feather on the ground shaking?
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X