Marshall found gold in Baker!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall found gold in Baker!!

Where do you find a a hard working humble leader?? Scott City, Kansas is where!! Let's face it, rural Kansas is a hard working humble community that produces tons of athletic talent that often goes unnoticed. So where better to find your leader on the court??? I have a feeling Marshall will be looking rural again in the offseason.

"Scott City I love you!"

We all love some Ron Baker.

Comment

Baker is a STUD! I can only dream about the next 3 years with Ron, Fred and Evan.

Comment

Another story on Baker.
        The nation is getting to know Ron Baker, and Baker is making sure it also gets to know Scott City.

The Wichita State freshman basketball guard has given shout-outs to his hometown on national television and radio since he helped the Shockers upset Gonzaga in the NCAA Tournament on Saturday. So a thankful and jubilant Scott City is returning the love.

Thursday is Ron Baker Day in Scott City, a town of about 4,000 people on the high plains of western Kansas, north of Garden City and south of Oakley. A rally is set for 10 a.m. at the high school. Mayor Dan ******* will read a proclamation. The high school band will play the Shocker fight song. Speakers will speak.
        Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/03/26/273...#storylink=cpy

Comment

I fell in love with that little community a few years ago when I visited the lake and played some western Kansas golf.

That place is simply a bunch of hard working folks who take great pride in their community. The town is clean, neighborhoods are spotless and it really seemed vibrant compared to other towns of the same size in Kansas I have visited. Maybe the local Alco or Pamida will start carrying Shocker gear now.

Comment

Okay, I gotta ask...

Nope, talked myself out of it. Carry on.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Baker was hyped up early on by @WuDrWu and others in his red-shirt campaign. I knew he was for real after attending the open practice before the season. I said then that he would be an absolute fan favorite along with Carl this season.

At all the early season games I would give an extra loud scream when his name was announced during the starting lineups. I love Carl but there is an aura around Baker that really makes him special. He is so smooth and makes it look effortless, yet he is able to out-hustle everyone else on the court. His shot is so pure that I swear it's going in every single time. At that open practice I don't think he missed hardly any shots.

On the topic of Scott City I went there about 10 years ago when they hosted a playoff high school football game that my high school team was playing in. I rode on a school bus full of other students going to watch the game. The bus ride seemed like it lasted days but I think it was really only several hours. The smells on the way were terrible and passing by field after field of flat land wasn't appealing at the time. I must say once we arrived the locals were very hospitable and they had even baked cookies for us opposing fans. It was really a nice gesture but at the time I was just pissed about the long bus ride and watching my team lose. They filled their stands and one could tell they were very passionate about their sports.
              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
              X