Increased server load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased server load

I've been in contact with the server provider for ShockerNet and have let them know to expect a larger than normal server load today. So hopefully with them keeping an eye on resources on the server, we won't experience any down time during such a great time to be a Shocker. Just letting everyone know I've been proactive on this possible issue.

Thanks everyone,

Matt

Update: The server has already migrated. There should be no interruption for the remainder of the weekend. Everything went smoothly. Thanks everyone.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Thank you!

Good time to remind people that you pay for this from your own pocket and that donations are appreciated.

PayPal Linky??
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85 View Post
      Thank you!

Good time to remind people that you pay for this from your own pocket and that donations are appreciated.

PayPal Linky??
      Here is the link to the thread that explains the paypal donation. http://shockernet.net/forum/announcement.php?f=8

Also just an FYI to everyone, I'm preemptively increasing our server bandwidth and they're upgrading us to a new server right now. It should take about 2 hours to back up and prepare everything, and then there should be 15-20 minutes where the website will be down. This downtime should be expected around 6:20-6:40, but can be from anywhere from 6:10-7:00 as when the downtime will occur. If you see the site down from that time, don't freak out, the site should be back online soon. I'm doing this in the case that we see a ton of traffic tonight and instead of being down for only a short amount of time prior to tip-off, instead of the whole evening possibly.

I hope everyone understands about this short stretch of time we'll be down in a couple hours.

Comment

Seems risky with such short notice. Good luck!
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Seems risky with such short notice. Good luck!
          I've weighed the options, and feel that it's better to take the site down prior to the game (which should be nearly an hour before tip-off) with the idea that if something goes wrong on their end, they're already working on it and are aware of it, which is better than gambling on the current server to handle the load and then I'm on customer support with them during the game and they're scrambling to correct the issue.

P.S. We've seen an increase in traffic since Thursday, which we had 40k pageviews on. We average around 30k during March, but we are already at 20k+ right now, and the game is 3 hours away.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
            I've weighed the options, and feel that it's better to take the site down prior to the game (which should be nearly an hour before tip-off) with the idea that if something goes wrong on their end, they're already working on it and are aware of it, which is better than gambling on the current server to handle the load and then I'm on customer support with them during the game and they're scrambling to correct the issue.
            Yeah, at this point you probably don't have a lot of good options. Or maybe either one is a good option? I dunno. :)

As I said, good luck!!
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I sure hope it stays up. I was just now able to get back on to Shockernet. It kept saying, "database error".

Comment

The migration has already happened, and we're currently on the new server. There should be no interruptions for the rest of the weekend.

Comment

Thanks @_kai_:.

Comment

In addition to the circle jerk, another reason why our Mod is the best in college basketball forums.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                      The migration has already happened, and we're currently on the new server. There should be no interruptions for the rest of the weekend.
                      Good work, _kai_ and thanks again!!! Boy, do I have some server migration stories I could tell over beers ... ugh!
                      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Seemed to go smoothly.

Thanks for all you do @_kai_:

Comment

I also wanna add my appreciation to @_kai_: . Thanks for all the hard work and keeping this thing the envy of the college basketball internet fan universe!
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

We broke the record. :)

Comment

Think it will get broken again in a week?
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X