What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened?

What happened that made it unavailable for a day or so?

ShockerNet was in the 99.9 percentile of CPU usage on our previous server. So much traffic from all of those Shocker fans around the world was putting too much stress on the server. They emailed us that the site would be switching servers, but I never received the email because Shockband was still the "primary" email address on file, which I thought I changed when we switched ownership but it was something that the hosting company had to update in their internal records rather than a changable user setting.

I'm just thankful this mix up didn't happen in March.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Thanks Kai... :yahoo: I didn't realize how much I rely on SN for my daily dose of sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by moshock View Post
        Thanks Kai... :yahoo: I didn't realize how much I rely on SN for my daily dose of sunshine.
        Ditto!!

Comment

No problem Mo. Our hosting company was very helpful on getting everything migrated, and keeping me updated on the situation once we figured out that I wasn't the primary email recipient.

Just a little FYI on the servers. We moved from a server in Chicago, to a server in Dallas.

Comment

Yikes, I was having Shockernet withdrawals!
            Thanks _kai_... you don't realize how much you miss something until it's gone.
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

thank you for your time and efforts!

Comment

Dallas based servers are amazing.
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Hey all, just wanted to let you know the migration to a dedicated server didn't go as smoothly nor as quickly as hoped, as our host had some things still listed as under my authority that didn't get transferred last year. That coupled with some technical issues on the migration slowed things down. Hopefully all is moved and functioning properly now. If you notice a particular feature that is not working right, send Kai a PM to alert him. Thanks!
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

I've been emailing and chatting with our hosting company for the past 2 days. I think the email correspondence reached above 30 emails back and forth.

I had @ShockBand: email them to release his email from being primary. I thought we had fixed all of this last time, but obviously not. There was also some issue with our DNS propagating correctly, and it took a long time for our region to come back online. As far as I can tell, our Wichita area was not resetting correctly or something along those lines, because when their tech support would visit the domain on their end, the site came up fine. I think in certain rare instances the DNS propagation can take 24-48 hours. Typically its less than 2.

Glad the server is back up, apologies for the time it was down, I was doing as much as I could possibly do, I promise you that.

The good thing about the new hosting plan is that we pay month to month now, rather than a contract, so it will give me some time to work with people I've been in contact with to possibly host it locally.

Thanks for the patience.

Comment

Thanks for the update and the hard work!

Comment

Does the SN site have a static or dynamic IP address? If it is static (or if DNS always assigns the same IP address to SN), then we can use host(1) http://linux.die.net/man/1/host or dig http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl1_dig.htm to find the address (or you could just tell us the IP address) and then DNS issues would not be a big problem.
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

The change to a dedicated server required a change in the IP, so it was more than just a matter of DNS server issues - the DNS system had to have that new IP propagated, and apparently it didn't do that process very efficiently.
                          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                          X