Be mindful of thread titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be mindful of thread titles

This is just an fyi, as well as a heads up.

When you create threads, be mindful of what you're titling the thread. Try and be as descriptive as possible. I've noticed a lot of threads have titles that really have nothing to do with anything related to the content of the thread. This is really just important in the sports forums. The Off-Topic section really doesn't matter.

I've been redoing and working on the SEO (Search Engine Optimization) of the forum, and from what I can tell, the title of the thread is the title of the "web page" that is created for each thread. If someone creates a thread titled "Interesting..." and the content of the thread is something that could have important information in it, that info might not get recognized highly by a Google bot when searching through our site. It will try and match up the title of the page with the content of the page, and it will give it a positive match, and hopefully index the page. This is a highly dumbed down explanation of SEO, but just trying to make it all make sense to everyone who isn't necessarily knowledgeable about how Google works. There really is somewhat of a science to getting pages ranked and indexed for Google.

I'm hoping to start getting SN ranked higher in searches for Wichita State and things related to what we cover here.

So if everyone could help out and title the threads more appropriately and more descriptively, that would help out a ton.

P.S. Don't be offended if I change the name of your thread to something more descriptive.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

I applaud your efforts. The "book" on SEO is constantly being re-written and is about 8 quadrillion times more difficult to crack than the RPI. I trust you have set aside, essentially, the rest of your life to accomplish this?

Comment

Kai, can you give us any tips or examples of what we should try to include in out thread titles.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Kai, can you give us any tips or examples of what we should try to include in out thread titles.
        I'm not _kai_, but let me chime in. Just use keywords related to the thread. For example if you are talking about a recruit, @tropicalshox: has nailed it: the dude's name and class are excellent thread titles -- adding position might even be more helpful. If it's about another Jayhawker getting arrested then, "KU player Fred Flinstone arrested for stealing hamburgers". All the pertinent keywords that you can think of at the time you start the thread.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          I'm not _kai_, but let me chime in. Just use keywords related to the thread. For example if you are talking about a recruit, @tropicalshox has nailed it: the dude's name and class are excellent thread titles -- adding position might even be more helpful. If it's about another Jayhawker getting arrested then, "KU player Fred Flinstone arrested for stealing hamburgers". All the pertinent keywords that you can think of at the time you start the thread.
          All of this.

And @WuDrWu: I will try, but I'm sure they'll re-work their tracker bots just enough to make everything people know now, obsolete.
          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Working...
          X