How Elite are You?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Elite are You?

I thought this was kind of an interesting post by Claire Berlinski on the website Ricochet (which is a good site by the way), given all talk of elites and such. She formulates a quiz from an essay by Charles Murray in the Washington Post – the operative paragraphs being:

With geographical clustering goes cultural clustering. Get into a conversation about television with members of the New Elite, and they can probably talk about a few trendy shows -- "Mad Men" now, "The Sopranos" a few years ago. But they haven't any idea who replaced Bob Barker on "The Price Is Right." They know who Oprah is, but they've never watched one of her shows from beginning to end.

Talk to them about sports, and you may get an animated discussion of yoga, pilates, skiing or mountain biking, but they are unlikely to know who Jimmie Johnson is (the really famous Jimmie Johnson, not the former Dallas Cowboys coach), and the acronym MMA means nothing to them.
    They can talk about books endlessly, but they've never read a "Left Behind" novel (65 million copies sold) or a Harlequin romance (part of a genre with a core readership of 29 million Americans).

They take interesting vacations and can tell you all about a great backpacking spot in the Sierra Nevada or an exquisite B&B overlooking Boothbay Harbor, but they wouldn't be caught dead in an RV or on a cruise ship (unless it was a small one going to the Galapagos). They have never heard of Branson, Mo.

There so many quintessentially American things that few members of the New Elite have experienced. They probably haven't ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis Club or Rotary Club, or lived for at least a year in a small town (college doesn't count) or in an urban neighborhood in which most of their neighbors did not have college degrees (gentrifying neighborhoods don't count). They are unlikely to have spent at least a year with a family income less than twice the poverty line (graduate school doesn't count) or to have a close friend who is an evangelical Christian. They are unlikely to have even visited a factory floor, let alone worked on one.
    The tea party warns of a New Elite. They're right

So are you an “elite”? Here is the quiz with my answers:

1. Can you talk about "Mad Men?" No.

2. Can you talk about the "The Sopranos?" No.

3. Do you know who replaced Bob Barker on "The Price Is Right?" Drew Carey?

4. Have you watched an Oprah show from beginning to end? I think so.

5. Can you hold forth animatedly about yoga? No.

5. How about pilates? No.

5. How about skiing? Sort of.

6. Mountain biking? Nope.

7. Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is? Nope.

8. Does the acronym MMA mean nothing to you? Don’t watch but I know what it means.

9. Can you talk about books endlessly? I guess so.

10. Have you ever read a "Left Behind" novel? No.

11. How about a Harlequin romance? Nope.

12. Do you take interesting vacations? I wouldn’t call them "interesting".

13. Do you know a great backpacking spot in the Sierra Nevada? Nope.

14. What about an exquisite B&B overlooking Boothbay Harbor? Huh?

15. Would you be caught dead in an RV? I have actually been in an RV.

16. Would you be caught dead on a cruise ship? Not allowed to go even if I wanted to.

17. Have you ever heard of of Branson, Mo? Sure. I think I was even there once.

18. Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis Club? No.

19. How about the Rotary Club? No.

20. Have you lived for at least a year in a small town? I don’t think so.

21. Have you lived for a year in an urban neighborhood in which most of your neighbors did not have college degrees? Yes.

22. Have you spent at least a year with a family income less than twice the poverty line? No.

P.S. I think I “passed”. What that means, I am not entirely sure.

Comment

So are you an “elite”? Here is the quiz with my answers:

3. Do you know who replaced Bob Barker on "The Price Is Right?" He was replaced?

4. Have you watched an Oprah show from beginning to end? No.

5. How about skiing? Water skiing yes.

7. Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is? Yes, NASCAR driver.

8. Does the acronym MMA mean nothing to you? Yes, but rarely watch.

9. Can you talk about books endlessly? Some

10. Have you ever read a "Left Behind" novel? No.

11. How about a Harlequin romance? No.

12. Do you take interesting vacations? For me and my family they are sometimes interesting. To others probably not.

13. Do you know a great backpacking spot in the Sierra Nevada? No.

14. What about an exquisite B&B overlooking Boothbay Harbor? No idea where this is.

15. Would you be caught dead in an RV? Yes, it is as good of place as any to be caught dead.

16. Would you be caught dead on a cruise ship? I have not been on a cruise yet, but they sound fun.

17. Have you ever heard of of Branson, Mo? Yep. Went there once. The traffic was horrible and I won't be going back anytime soon.

18. Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis Club? No. I think my granddad was a member.

20. Have you lived for at least a year in a small town? I was raised in Haysville. Does that count as a small town?

21. Have you lived for a year in an urban neighborhood in which most of your neighbors did not have college degrees? No. But I have lived in Haysville where most of the neighbors did not have college degrees.

22. Have you spent at least a year with a family income less than twice the poverty line? I am not sure what the poverty line was when I was growing up but probably.

What does this mean?

Comment

3. Do you know who replaced Bob Barker on "The Price Is Right?" Yes, but I haven't watched it in years.

4. Have you watched an Oprah show from beginning to end? No.

5. How about skiing? Yes, but it's been too long, I want to go again!

6. Mountain biking? No.

7. Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is? Yes, but the football coach would have occurred to me first.

8. Does the acronym MMA mean nothing to you? It does, but only watched once while staying with a family member.

9. Can you talk about books endlessly? A few.

10. Have you ever read a "Left Behind" novel? Yes, all of them.

11. How about a Harlequin romance? No.

12. Do you take interesting vacations? No.

13. Do you know a great backpacking spot in the Sierra Nevada? No.

14. What about an exquisite B&B overlooking Boothbay Harbor? I wouldn't classify Bikes & BBQ as "exquisite".

15. Would you be caught dead in an RV? Yes.

16. Would you be caught dead on a cruise ship? Yes, but never been on one.

17. Have you ever heard of of Branson, Mo? Yes.

18. Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis Club? No, but my neighbor used to bug me about joining.

20. Have you lived for at least a year in a small town? 36 years and counting among 1300 folks in half a square mile qualifies as a YES!

21. Have you lived for a year in an urban neighborhood in which most of your neighbors did not have college degrees? No.

22. Have you spent at least a year with a family income less than twice the poverty line? I can't verify it with numbers but it is safe to say that I
        spent most, if not all of my childhood - until my late 20s, really - below that benchmark.

EDIT: There were more questions not in Maggie's original post:

23. Do you have a close friend who is an evangelical Christian? I am one, as are most of my friends.

24. Have you ever visited a factory floor? Yes.

25. Have you worked on one? Yes, for 4-5 months out of high school.

Comment

3. Do you know who replaced Bob Barker on "The Price Is Right?" Yes, but don't watch.

4. Have you watched an Oprah show from beginning to end? Nope

5. How about skiing? No.

7. Do you know who Jimmie Johnson is? Yes, but I don't watch.

8. Does the acronym MMA mean nothing to you? Don't watch it a ton but like it.

9. Can you talk about books endlessly? Some. I do like to read.

10. Have you ever read a "Left Behind" novel? No, but I plan on getting to them eventually.

11. How about a Harlequin romance? Nope.

12. Do you take interesting vacations? No.

13. Do you know a great backpacking spot in the Sierra Nevada? Nope.

14. What about an exquisite B&B overlooking Boothbay Harbor? I have no idea where that is.

15. Would you be caught dead in an RV? Never been in one, I don't think, but it's whatever.

16. Would you be caught dead on a cruise ship? Haven't been but wouldn't mind going.

17. Have you ever heard of of Branson, Mo? Heard of it of course. Never been.

18. Have you ever attended a meeting of a Kiwanis Club? No.

20. Have you lived for at least a year in a small town? Born and raised!

21. Have you lived for a year in an urban neighborhood in which most of your neighbors did not have college degrees? No.

22. Have you spent at least a year with a family income less than twice the poverty line? Not in childhood but now that I'm on my own most definitely.

EDIT

23. Do you have a close friend who is an evangelical Christian? I and most of my friends are.

25. Have you worked on one? No.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

There were 3 more questions that didn't make it into Maggie's original post. I edited my earlier reply to include them.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
              There were 3 more questions that didn't make it into Maggie's original post. I edited my earlier reply to include them.
              Thanks Royal. As for me:

23. Do you have a close friend who is an evangelical Christian? Yes.

25. Have you worked on one? No.

Comment

Working...
              X