In Michigan you can't be picky about who you live with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Michigan you can't be picky about who you live with

Michigan Woman Faces Civil Rights Complaint for Seeking a Christian Roommate

A civil rights complaint has been filed against a woman in Grand Rapids, Mich., who posted an advertisement at her church last July seeking a Christian roommate.

The ad "expresses an illegal preference for a Christian roommate, thus excluding people of other faiths,” according to the complaint filed by the Fair Housing Center of West Michigan.

"It's a violation to make, print or publish a discriminatory statement," Executive Director Nancy Haynes told Fox News. "There are no exemptions to that."
    :ohno:

That's BS. I understand in certain areas of life where this would be illegal, but we're talking about your residence. You're free, or should be, to live with who you want and the kind of person you want. And if you don't fit that description, why would you want to live with her anyway knowing what she wants? This is more PC BS and it needs to stop.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I am not an attorney, but unless this woman is receiving some sort of government aid for the housing, there is no way this case sees the inside of a court room, and the person or persons that brought the suit should be forced to pay all the court fees, both to the taxpayer and to the person attacked.

Tort reform.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        I am not an attorney, but unless this woman is receiving some sort of government aid for the housing, there is no way this case sees the inside of a court room, and the person or persons that brought the suit should be forced to pay all the court fees, both to the taxpayer and to the person attacked.

Tort reform.
        :good:
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

Tort reform.
          Haynes said the unnamed 31-year-old woman’s case was turned over to the Michigan Department of Civil Rights. Depending on the outcome of the case, she said, the woman could face several hundreds of dollars in fines and “fair housing training so it doesn’t happen again.”
          It's actually in the hands of a state agency. And don't you love "fair housing training"? What the bleep is that? :-x

And who's the bitter narc in the church who not only took offense to her ad (ok, fine, get your judgemental little panties in a bunch) but took the step of turning her in to a non-profit watchdog group?

Comment

So since it's unfair to place in an ad a request that a religious preference for a roommate, I assume it would equally be unfair to "ask" them during a personal visit. If unfair (penalty by at least a fine) to place such a request in print, therefore assuming to also ask during a visit, just where is the line to be draw? By what guidelines is one allowed to request, ask, or deny?

Comment

On a somewhat related topic - you are not allowed to discriminate against your health care provider based on race.

"A federal appeals court in Indiana has ruled that a nursing home cannot honor patients’ requests for caregivers based on race. The case — which pitted nursing home residents’ rights against discrimination law — establishes that there may be a limit to a nursing home resident’s right to choose a health care provider."

It seems like the government is taking anti-discrimination practices to the next level. While I dont advocate discrimination - the idea of personal freedoms being taken away like this is disturbing.

Comment

Working...
              X