Twister 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twister 2010

On a recent trip to Omaha, Neb., I found a note prominently displayed in my hotel room warning of the possibility of "extreme weather" including "tornadic activity." The clunky euphemism was no doubt meant to soften or obscure what they were obliged to communicate: There may be a tornado, look out.

That's what's going on nationally. Tornadoes are tearing up the political landscape.

You don't diss people into voting for you, you can't lecture them into love. The response from the left was fierce, unapologetic—and accusatory. Mr. Obama had let them down, he'd taken half measures. "Stop living in that bubble," shot back an activist on cable. But Jane Hamsher of the leftist blog Firedoglake saw method, not madness. She described the president's remarks as "hippie punching" and laid them to cynical strategy: "It's about setting up a narrative for who will take the blame for a disastrous election." She said Mr. Obama's comments themselves could "depress turnout."

A GOP congressman told me this week that he very much disagrees with the characterization of tea party and Republican voters as enraged or livid. They are scared, he said. He has never, in two decades in politics, heard so many people tell him they are "scared," frightened for their own futures and for the future of their country.
    Yet another tornado. The Democrats have begun what Grover Norquist predicted a month ago. They saved their money for the end of the campaign and have begun running negative ads. They are not speaking in support of their own votes on health care and other issues. They are avoiding the subject of their own votes on health care and other issues. They are focusing instead on accusations of personal scandal. Both parties have done this in the past, to their mutual shame. But this year, with some exceptions and for obvious reasons, it appears to be largely a Democratic game. At this point in history, with America teetering on the brink of bankruptcy, negative advertising is even more destructive, more actually wicked, than it was in the past.
    Good practical advice on all this comes from Indiana's Gov. Mitch Daniels, who met this week in New York with conservative activists, journalists and historians. Our country is in real peril, he said, we have a short time to do big things to get it right. Republicans "need to campaign to govern, not merely to win." If Democrats are "the worst, the most malevolent" in their campaigning, "don't match 'em, let 'em." Be better. Be serious about the issues at a serious time.
    Reality is that probably at best there will be gridlock. Conservative control of the house and liberal control of the Senate and the Presidency. Which means there will be no repeal of anything, just status quo. It will take the election of 2012 to potentially change the political landscape.

It will take the election of 2012

Pretty good editorial by Noonan, I read it this morning.

SB,

I think you are partially correct. Republican’s are not going to be able to repeal Obamacare with President Obama in office and it will be difficult to get some things done.

Notwithstanding, there are things a Republican majority in the House and a Republican minority in the Senate can do to push legislation. It is highly likely that the Republicans will pick up well north of the 41 votes in the Senate required for a filibuster and that is key (they also have an outside chance of taking over the Senate). You see, once you are at 46, 47, 48 Republican votes the milktoast Republicans (like our esteemed ladies from Maine) become less relevant – plus I’ll bet that many Democrats will be less likely to walk the plank for the President or a Senate Majority leader (who happens to be a Democrat without the initials HR, hopefully). Of course, then again I really didn’t think they would agree to commit political suicide over the healthcare bill, either. :noidea:

Everyone is talking about how important the 2010 elections are but, you are correct, these elections pale in comparison to 2012. That is the election that matters if there is to be any hope of repealing any of the disastrous legislation our government enacted these past two years or seriously addressing entitlement reform.

These elections will literally be about America’s soul (excuse the sappiness, please). Distilled to its very essence it is big government vs. limited government. It is a fight that has been going on for well over 60 years, it has just been made more intense by the actions of this President and Congress (even more so than after Johnson or Carter).

Comment

Working...
    X