Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stephen Colbert goes to Washington

Jokester Colbert goes to Washington

Carrie Dann writes: Television comedian Stephen Colbert has gotten famous by using his trademark conservative faux-outrage to label the United States Congress as a joke.

On Friday, a House subcommittee – maybe, sort of, actually we really don’t know -- might have played along.

“I certainly hope that my star power can bump this hearing all the way up to C-SPAN One,” Colbert promised members of the House Judiciary Subcommittee on Immigration, Refugees, and Border Security, where he appeared as a witness on the issue of migrant farm work.

I heard about this.....not sure what to think except that if anyone in Congress invited this idiot to the Hill because they think he has insight, they should be removed from office before November and I don't care which side of the aisle they call home.

Comment

He was invited by one of the Democrats to testify. These idiots seem intent on committing political suicide. It is just bizarre.

Comment

Nothing like seeing Rep. Jackson-Lee texting during the testimony. Of course, this time it kind of makes sense.

Comment

I don't suppose Colbert will be one of the guest speakers at the Beverly Hills Tea Party gathering tomorrow?

Comment

Was the Congressional Sub-committee on Everything Crucial To Idiots Or Nincompoops (aka. C-SECTION) holding hearings today?

Comment

Of course, Colbert wasn't the first unusual character to testify before Congress. Back in 2002 Elmo of Sesame Street went to Washington.

Elmo goes to Washington

HEADNOTE
              Everybody's favorite furry red monster ended his Congressional testimony with "I love you, Congress."

It has been a long week. In more ways than I can express, both personally and professionally, it truly has been one for the record books. Midweek I announced to friends and family that by all rights I should be having a nervous breakdown, to which my mother said wistfully, "Yeah, I always thought I should have one too. I just never found the time." Good point.

The absurdity of my week probably reached its pinnacle when a colleague stopped by to chat and asked me if I'd heard that Elmo had testified before Congress. Elmo? As in the red furry muppet from Sesame Street?" I asked. "Yup," confirmed my friend. "My sister just called and was watching him on C-Span with my nephew." After some quick searching on the web, I was able to confirm this seemingly ridiculous piece of information. It seems Elmo went to Capitol Hill, along with human lobbyists, to ask Congress for $2 million for music education programs in schools. More specifically, Elmo would like $1 million to determine how music helps children learn.

Comment

You knew about Elmo didn't you. And had to bring it up. :)

Comment

Working...
                X