Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    Alan Alda had polio.
    ?

Comment

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
        ?
        Yeah, lots of people don't know it, but Alan Alda survived polio. He needs Obamacare to make sure it doesn't come back.

He has an old iron lung in his garage just in case.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Comment

If this is all the Dems have, this will be over quick.
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post

If this is all the Dems have, this will be over quick.
              Yup. Pretty childish approach, IMO, fearmongering, and playing to the "criers".

The Dems just don't get it. Why would you use a phrase against your opponents that was the only reason why you lost to a person like Trump.

Comment

I don't know about America, but the entire city of Wichita is already sick this week anyway.

Comment

There are a couple of ways to reduce insurance costs:

1) Convince the medical providers and pharmaceuticals to lower their profit levels
                  2) Convince the insurance providers to reduce their profit levels
                  3) Drop a lot of people from coverage
                  4) Reduce the services provided under the insurance.

#3 doesn't really work because those people show up at the emergency room for headaches, and the cost of that is passed on to those with insurance.

#4 has a flaw. If those in the lower end of the economic scale have to pay for routine medical care, they will avoid it to save the money. Once people making $12 an hour find out that a tetanus shot costs $280, they will not get that shot. An $80 lab test to check how things are going isn't something a low-income person is going to pay if they are feeling fine. If they actually are sick, the choice might be to seek medical attention or pay the rent.

I am skeptical that any plan replacing Obamacare can have significantly lower costs to end users. Some social issues opposed by certain religious groups might get excluded, but the savings from that would be minimal.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Number four worked just fine for decades, for scores of people who intentionally sought out the option, until Furher Obama summarily wiped out the option in the market via bureaucracy and regulation.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                      Number four worked just fine for decades, for scores of people who intentionally sought out the option, until Furher Obama summarily wiped out the option in the market via bureaucracy and regulation.
                      Only took 24 posts for Godwin's Law to be applied.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Did I miss a Hitler comparison?
                        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Deregulation is an option...how about making it easier for companies to make a profit, thereby passing the savings on to consumers? At a manufacturing level (not corporate), fully 1/3 of all people working at my facility, a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant, do nothing but regulatory compliance activities. That's 500 out of 1500. These employees make good salaries as they are almost exclusively college educated with a high percentage of advanced degrees. Imagine if that was cut in half due to deregulation? Do you think that would decrease cost? How about that medicines are so regulated that 5% of all product has to be destroyed as it can't meet the regulations regardless of the fact that there is no increased safety risk?

How about the discount/free medicines that the US forces Pharma companies to provide to third world countries? Do you think big Pharma eats that cost? Of course, the deregulation would need to be coupled with some sort of forced consumer savings, or benefit provided by increased tax revenue, but this is another option.

I would assume that front line medical providers face similar compliance/legal requirements that could also benefit from looser regulatory restrictions.

Just so you understand the regulations I'm talking about, you can't use post it notes in a laboratory as the analyst might be inclined to record a calculation on the post it note. That calculation is considere a legal document, and that analyst might then wright that calc into the legal document later and trash the sticky note. This is a violation to the FDA that can lead to a refusal to grant distribution rights in the US and closure of a facility...SERIOUSLY!
                          Last edited by wufan; January 6, 2017, 08:45 PM.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            Only took 24 posts for Godwin's Law to be applied.
                            I learned something new tonight, thanks. Had to look up Godwin's law. Did you know it can also be used as a distraction or censorship of a viable counterpoint as well? May apply here I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              Deregulation is an option...how about making it easier for companies to make a profit, thereby passing the savings on to consumers? At a manufacturing level (not corporate), fully 1/3 of all people working at my facility, a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant, do nothing but regulatory compliance activities. That's 500 out of 1500. These employees make good salaries as they are almost exclusively college educated with a high percentage of advanced degrees. Imagine if that was cut in half due to deregulation? Do you think that would decrease cost? How about that medicines are so regulated that 5% of all product has to be destroyed as it can't meet the regulations regardless of the fact that there is no increased safety risk?

How about the discount/free medicines that the US forces Pharma companies to provide to third world countries? Do you think big Pharma eats that cost? Of course, the deregulation would need to be coupled with some sort of forced consumer savings, or benefit provided by increased tax revenue, but this is another option.

I would assume that front line medical providers face similar compliance/legal requirements that could also benefit from looser regulatory restrictions.

Just so you understand the regulations I'm talking about, you can't use post it notes in a laboratory as the analyst might be inclined to record a calculation on the post it note. That calculation is considere a legal document, and that analyst might then wright that calc into the legal document later and trash the sticky note. This is a violation to the FDA that can lead to a refusal to grant distribution rights in the US and closure of a facility...SERIOUSLY!
                              All sounds so common sense. Some of these suggestions might save taxpayers as you reduce the need for countless bureaucrats.
                              Throw in some tort reform for good measure.

Comment

Working...
                              X