People Speak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People Speak

Sorry if info on this topic has been posted, but I searched and didn't find it.

Lot of debate going on about the "People Speak" 'documetary' that will/has been airing on the History Channel.

There is a website dedicated at thepeoplespeak.org.

An article in dissent can be found at http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=407362 , although the link to where the article came from is missing.

Re: People Speak

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
    Sorry if info on this topic has been posted, but I searched and didn't find it.

Lot of debate going on about the "People Speak" 'documetary' that will/has been airing on the History Channel.

There is a website dedicated at thepeoplespeak.org.

An article in dissent can be found at http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=407362 , although the link to where the article came from is missing.
    I didn’t read the entire article you linked. This is as far as I got:

The program and discussion guide is the most ambitious resource among many offered to America's schools by the Zinn Education Project, a collaboration of Rethinking Schools and Teaching for Change, as part of a push to encourage history instruction based on educator Howard Zinn's 1980 tome exposing the abuses of America's past, "A People's History of the United States."
    Let’s just say – I am not a big fan of Professor Zinn.

Comment

I read most of it and it sounds like there are some good things (largely untaught historical truths) in the program but they are being used to promote a progressive agenda.

The map of how many of these programs were distributed to each state shows Kansas with a surprisingly large number compared to states of similar or even larger size in the region (KS 47, OK 3, MO 43, NE 8, TX 39). I hope most of those went to Lawrence.

The sad thing is that the educational system has been primed to accept this and unfortunately, the timing is probably right.

Comment

Maggie,

Most I have talked to agree. I hear about this, and read what they want to teach and always come back to 'Dazed and Confused' where they are leaving for the day and Ms. Ginny Stroud is yelling as they walk out the door:

Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown
          Maggie,

Most I have talked to agree. I hear about this, and read what they want to teach and always come back to 'Dazed and Confused' where they are leaving for the day and Ms. Ginny Stroud is yelling as they walk out the door:

Okay guys, one more thing, this summer when you're being inundated with all this American bicentennial Fourth Of July brouhaha, don't forget what you're celebrating, and that's the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, white males didn't want to pay their taxes.
          :)

I should have wrote, I am not a fan of Zinn’s arguments. I didn’t mean to be dismissive of Zinn – his book is widely used in high-school social-studies courses and teacher-training colleges. Conservatives, as a rule, tend to ignore guys like Zinn, or dismiss his importance, which is a mistake. They should address his arguments head-on.

Off the top of my head – here is a little Zinn flavor: Zinn has consistently argued that America is and always has been an expansionist, warlike nation dominated by a ruling class interested in preserving its wealth and power. Patriotism, to Zinn, is not loyalty to America but incessant challenge of our government, which throughout our history has always pushed us into war. Zinn makes no distinction between patriotism and nationalism and he considers even the mildest forms of American patriotism to be expressions of nationalism and he sees nationalism as one of the great evils of our time.

Zinn is very hard Left.

Comment

I wonder - do kids even say the pledge of allegiance anymore?

Comment

Working...
            X