Obama's Nontax Tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's Nontax Tax

I don’t know how many of you caught this exchange, related to the individual mandate, between Stephanopoulos and President Obama on Sunday …but I thought it was amusing..well maybe not amusing….but kind of annoying:

"That may be," Mr. Stephanopoulos responded, "but it's still a tax increase." (In fact, uncompensated care accounts for about only 2.2% of national health spending today, but that's another subject.)

Mr. Obama: "No. That's not true, George. The—for us to say that you've got to take a responsibility to get health insurance is absolutely not a tax increase. What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore . . ." In other words, like parents talking to their children, this levy—don't call it a tax—is for your own good.

Mr. Stephanopoulos tried again: "But it may be fair, it may be good public policy—"
    Mr. Obama: "No, but—but, George, you—you can't just make up that language and decide that that's called a tax increase."

"I don't think I'm making it up," Mr. Stephanopoulos said. He then had the temerity to challenge the Philologist in Chief, with an assist from Merriam-Webster. He cited that dictionary's definition of "tax"—"a charge, usually of money, imposed by authority on persons or property for public purposes."

Mr. Obama: "George, the fact that you looked up Merriam's Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you're stretching a little bit right now. . . ."

Mr. Stephanopoulos: "I wanted to check for myself. But your critics say it is a tax increase."
    Obama's Nontax Tax

The first thing that popped into my head, merits aside, is how on earth is defining a term "stretching a bit"?

This, by the way, is one of the ways that President Obama drives me to the bottle, so to speak. He offers a sweeping promise — in this case, his campaign-trail pledge (everyone is familiar with) that, and I am paraphrasing, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase. Not a single dime – which he reiterated, I believe in his address to Congress – with respect to health care. And then he breaks that promise, for example, by raising the tax on tobacco products (whether you care or not – it is still a tax on everyone), and his instinctive response, along with that of his defenders, is "Oh, come on, that doesn't count." Now, I guess, this extends to a new government charge for not having a health-insurance policy.

I am beginning to suspect that in President Obama's mind, there are always unspoken caveats and exceptions that are crystal-clear to him, so clear that he doesn't have to mention them. It appears that the meaning of simple words, like “tax” are always in dispute - a government charge for not having health insurance isn't a tax; defining a term represents stretching the truth; and so on.

The arrogance this President carries is stunning to me.

The way he talked to George, with his smugness, was annoying. While I certainly don't agree with everything Mr. Stephanopoulos says and believes, he is one of the sharpest minds in politics (or any other field for that matter) and frankly, is probably more skilled than our President.

But the comment that really troubles me....and should trouble every one of us......

"In other words, like parents talking to their children, this levy—don't call it a tax—is for your own good."

"Is for your own good"......... That is petrifying folks.

Comment

I'm just glad someone on the left has finally put up hard questions for him. The rest of the state run media doesn't.

What I fear is, since the state run media has given him a free pass, he and his lefties are going to try and force more and more taxes and spending down our throats. Only Fox News will stand up to him. The media has sold out the American people. This country we love can not survive when this kind of stuff happens.

I must admit, I hated it when they would go after Bush. But, I knew they played a big role in keeping him in line.

If Fox News had taken the average American attitude of, oh well what can we do. PBO and company would be ramming every piece of their liberal agenda through the congress and senate.

If the state run media would wish for us to quit calling them the state run media. They need to get back to reporting the truth and challenging PBO. But, since they are not............

STATE RUN MEDIA will continue to be the buzz word!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        The arrogance this President carries is stunning to me.

The way he talked to George, with his smugness, was annoying. While I certainly don't agree with everything Mr. Stephanopoulos says and believes, he is one of the sharpest minds in politics (or any other field for that matter) and frankly, is probably more skilled than our President.

But the comment that really troubles me....and should trouble every one of us......

"In other words, like parents talking to their children, this levy—don't call it a tax—is for your own good."

Politicians, particularly those on the left, have thought this way for a long, long time. That one of them actually said it tells me they (or at least he) think we're ready to accept that they know what is better for us than we do.

They and he, probably due to them living in their own world with no feet in reality, have miscalculated.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu

Isn't this essentially the same thing that Bush and his cronies were telling us about the Patriot Act and the war in Iraq? It's not the first time a president, Red or Blue, has done things and justified it with this reasoning.

Comment

Working...
          X