False narrative: Black citizens are targeted by the police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False narrative: Black citizens are targeted by the police

The Civil Rights Commission has data that in the past 30 years, black citizens have been targeted by the police is FALSE.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

If more people knew the facts, the NFL flag/National Anthem situation would be considered a non-issue.

Understanding there are always 2 (or more) sides to every discussion, that is a point that is difficult to counter.

Comment

I had a good discussion with a black friend of mine yesterday and he told some fairly compelling stories of interactions with police. This was initiated based on discussions of the legitimacy of kneeling.

The first story, he was being obviously harassed by local cops when his brother had a minor traffic warrant. The policeman ended the conversation with "you all look alike". He responded pretty poorly which escalated the situation. The policeman ended up being fired.

The second story resulted in some fairly obvious (and probably traumatic) excessive force. He was cuffed and pinned to the ground by one officer while the other officer tazed him. He had been assaulted in a bar and was leaving when he literally ran into the police at the exit. All charges were dropped, the police were investigated, but not charged.

A couple of thoughts that came from the discussion:

In the assault case, he didn't pursue further action against the police because he was a student teacher and trying to get hired in this small town. He didn't want to jeopardize his job opportunities by creating controversy. It was also not clear who to complain to when it's the cops you are having issue with. This would be a tough situation for anyone.

In the first case, justice seems to have been served in that the policeman was fired. In the second case, despite not pushing for further justice, charges were dropped and he was able to get a job. I think both of these cases demonstrate a case AGAINST systemic racism. If it were systemic, he would have probably been charged and the policeman wouldn't have been fired.

While one could easily attribute racism to both cases, it's not clear racism was actually the motive in either instance. In the first instance, the policeman could have meant that the brothers look alike, not all black people. Since the cop was ultimately fired, it was probably racism. In the second case, my friend is 6-4, 260 and had just finished his college football playing days. He was leaving a bar bleeding from his head and literally opened the exit door into the officers. There is reason to immediately subdue the subject (despite the fact that they went above and beyond) other than racism.

Overall, I can understand why he wouldn't like police officers, and would be concerned about racism. I still didn't see anything that pointed to a systemic problem.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Just FYI...I followed his stories with epic tales of how difficult it was that my family couldn't afford membership at Flinthills National and how all my friends made fun of me because we only had membership at Crestview; and the time when all the other kids were vacationing at Martha's Vineyard while we were summering on Macinack Island.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Begins at 33:10.

Apparently crime statistics aren't a part of the discussion. At least not in E. Holders world.
          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; September 30, 2017, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Being a Yankee fan, I find it interesting to compare the lives and demeniors of Kaepernick and Aaron Judge. Both are light-skinned kids who were adopted by white families and grew up to be star atheletes.

Comment

We always hear racism comes from the cops, but the racism and open hostility coming from the other side is never talked about. It's assumed by many that that law enforcement or the whole country for that matter is rampant with white racism, while it's far from the truth. Are there racists, of course. Always will be, but they are come in all colors.

I think one of the most unfortunate things about how blacks have been treated in our history is that it has developed hostile culture towards law enforcement. Not to say all are, but it's a large part of the black community that are. We've all been pulled over by cop acting like a jerk, for what we feel is a BS reason, but some people haven't mastered the art of seething and not letting their emotions dictate their actions. The fact of the matter is, no matter what race you are, when it comes to law enforcement, if you play stupid games, you will win stupid prizes. It's not about racism 99% of the time. It's about the officer having a job to do, and the situation has been unnecessarily escalated by the perp. The media will never show that angle because what sells better than a good race riot?

I think the blacks that have it the worst are black policemen. My brother was a policeman for Wichita PD and from the experiences he told me about, the harshest treatment, most demeaning slurs were hurled at black officers from other blacks because they're seen as traitors. It's pretty horrible when I'm sure most of them do what they do so they can be the change that they want to see. The video below is a perfect example of the hostility that is encountered on a daily basis. The lady in the video essentially from the get go, makes the decision that she is going to die, she even says it and forces the situation to escalate out of control, putting her child's life in harms way.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                Being a Yankee fan, I find it interesting to compare the lives and demeniors of Kaepernick and Aaron Judge. Both are light-skinned kids who were adopted by white families and grew up to be star atheletes.
                I don't believe in the whole "white privilege" thing, but I think that it's ironic that if it ever was a thing, Kaepernick grew up with more of it than most people lol.

Comment

I think examples of racism exist. In Wufans friends case, it was an extreme example by a policeman who shouldn't be a policeman. The reason I started this thread (video) is rage perception of many that blacks are being TARGETED, and there is no evidence of that.
                  1. Bad cops are in each police force. That's a given
                  2. Racist cops are in each police force. I don't doubt that but there is no evidence of rampant racism.
                  3. There is no evidence of targeting blacks according to the Civil Rights Commission who investigated Ferguson, etc.
                  4. Most white people (an overwhelming majority) are not racists

The bad cops when dealing with whites or blacks make bad decisions. When they deal with blacks are considered racist when they are just bad cops. There are numerous examples of white cops killing whites who are unarmed. Sometimes, they are justified and sometimes not but they are just as likely (maybe more)bad cops as racist cops. Example in Hays in the past year when the autistic boy was killed and many more examples.

My own small incident. I was pulled over downtown in a sting of drivers making bad turns. Imo if was bad police work. The policemen were caustic and rude. They seemed to be picking on citizens and just interested in making traffic stop money. I think they were either bad cops or making bad decisions, thinking they were doing their job. In either case, they made me angry. But if I was black, I could see myself make the assumption they were racist. This is the hard spot, cops are in.

Comment

I think everyone probably has had bad experiences with police, especially in our younger years when we were doing stupid stuff. That said, it would be easy to blame it on racism if we were a minority.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                      I think examples of racism exist. In Wufans friends case, it was an extreme example by a policeman who shouldn't be a policeman. The reason I started this thread (video) is rage perception of many that blacks are being TARGETED, and there is no evidence of that.
                      1. Bad cops are in each police force. That's a given
                      2. Racist cops are in each police force. I don't doubt that but there is no evidence of rampant racism.
                      3. There is no evidence of targeting blacks according to the Civil Rights Commission who investigated Ferguson, etc.
                      4. Most white people (an overwhelming majority) are not racists

The bad cops when dealing with whites or blacks make bad decisions. When they deal with blacks are considered racist when they are just bad cops. There are numerous examples of white cops killing whites who are unarmed. Sometimes, they are justified and sometimes not but they are just as likely (maybe more)bad cops as racist cops. Example in Hays in the past year when the autistic boy was killed and many more examples.

My own small incident. I was pulled over downtown in a sting of drivers making bad turns. Imo if was bad police work. The policemen were caustic and rude. They seemed to be picking on citizens and just interested in making traffic stop money. I think they were either bad cops or making bad decisions, thinking they were doing their job. In either case, they made me angry. But if I was black, I could see myself make the assumption they were racist. This is the hard spot, cops are in.
                      There's definitely bad cops, and they are human just like the rest of us and are capable of being a-holes and they should be disciplined whenever they lose their professional bearing and or abuse their authority. I think a lot of bad encounters occur due to bad policy and laws as well. I think speed traps are just a veiled form of tax collection and should be banned along with the police practice of running random tags when they are patrolling unless there is just cause. If anybody remembers Eric Garner, the man was choked out by police for resisting arrest and then died from complications from that, that whole thing could have been prevented if police weren't forced by stupid laws and regulations to respond to somebody selling loosies (individual cigarettes).

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        I think everyone probably has had bad experiences with police, especially in our younger years when we were doing stupid stuff. That said, it would be easy to blame it on racism if we were a minority.
                        Everyone.

If the topic of rampant crime in the ghetto is a part of the debate, you can bet this will thread will be a short one. But the lines at the ballot box won't be... It wasn't the Russians.
                        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; September 30, 2017, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                          Everyone.

If the topic of rampant crime in the ghetto is a part of the debate, you can bet this will thread will be a short one. But the lines at the ballot box won't be... It wasn't the Russians.
                          . Of course. Everyone but you is probably better. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            . Of course. Everyone but you is probably better. Thanks
                            You wish. ******* Troll :boxing:
                            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; September 30, 2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X