Does race matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    Before you were asking if race matters. Now you ask is race important. Important in what ways? Culture?
    In my inititial post a laid out the question beyond thread title, "does race matter in relation to politics and sociology?"
    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      I think we've had 2 Presidents in a row who made their constituents feel empowered if they felt prejudice against the "other" race.
      I don't know if things are better or worse now, but "identity politics", whether that be race, sex, religion, economic standard, immigration status, or sexual identity are at the forefront of the political battleground. I would further say that the election of Trump was a backlash to these ideas either through rejection of them (middle of the road political folks) or through a feeling of exclusion by white heterosexual males (if a minority grouops get special treatment then everyone is special based on their identity group).
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
        I don't know if things are better or worse now, but "identity politics", whether that be race, sex, religion, economic standard, immigration status, or sexual identity are at the forefront of the political battleground. I would further say that the election of Trump was a backlash to these ideas either through rejection of them (middle of the road political folks) or through a feeling of exclusion by white heterosexual males (if a minority grouops get special treatment then everyone is special based on their identity group).
        I imagine most everybody considers themselves to be "middle of the road politically."

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          I imagine most everybody considers themselves to be "middle of the road politically."
          I was referring to republicans and democrats that are classical liberals and excluding white nationalists and the alt right.
          Livin the dream

Comment

I bet even antifa and the Klan

Comment

I bet even antifa and the Klan
              Groups that advocate for violence rarely consider themselves moderate. It's not hard to define radical political ideologies in the US.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Groups that advocate for violence rarely consider themselves moderate. It's not hard to define radical political ideologies in the US.

LOL

Comment

In my inititial post a laid out the question beyond thread title, "does race matter in relation to politics and sociology?"
                  Matter to who?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Matter to who?
                    Basically, does it matter to the populous as a whole, and should it matter? Some groups; KKK, alt right, white nationalists, BLM, feminists, LGBQT+ all think that societal identity groups are more important than individuality. Is this the right way to look at the world? Are these fringe groups dominating the conversation and most disagree, or are these fringe groups born out of a larger collective that these things matter?
                    Livin the dream

Comment

I have a question related to a post and reply in the recruiting forum. One poster pointed out that there are very few black people in Newton. I don't know it this is true or not, and it's totally beside the point. A second poster thought that was insensitive. So, does race matter in relation to politics and sociology? If so how, and what should we do about it?

My guess is that the answer will be divided similarly along voting lines.
                      The question in itself is racist - it assume there are different races. There is only one race - the human race.

Comment

As long as people discriminate based on race, it matters. We are still a segregated society in a lot of ways.

Comment

My niece went to Detroit to visit her father-in-law's church. He's doesn't have a degree, he just decided to be a preacher and started a congregation. I guess it must be a "black theology" outfit like you hear the right wing guys talk about. Anyway she was the only white person in the building. Little children made faces at her, women gave her the black power salute. She was appalled by the things she heard in Sunday school.....................this thing won't be getting better any time soon I imagine.

Comment

My niece went to Detroit to visit her father-in-law's church. He's doesn't have a degree, he just decided to be a preacher and started a congregation. I guess it must be a "black theology" outfit like you hear the right wing guys talk about. Anyway she was the only white person in the building. Little children made faces at her, women gave her the black power salute. She was appalled by the things she heard in Sunday school.....................this thing won't be getting better any time soon I imagine.
                            Racism is a two way street...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              As long as people discriminate based on race, it matters. We are still a segregated society in a lot of ways.
                              But not segregated under the law. Should we be compelled by force to do more to "desegregate"?
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Boss1786 View Post
                                Racism is a two way street...
                                Some would disagree. Many people believe that in order to be racist you have to have power. Since white people are the only ones with power, then they are the only ones that can be racist.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X