Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beer makes you fat. But have you ever had a beer so good you drank it anyway?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer makes you fat. But have you ever had a beer so good you drank it anyway?

I saw a guy drinking several shiners today (here in Houston) who was skinny as a rail. He was skinnier than I am. I wear a 34 in a full-cut pleated pair of pants and a 35-1/2 in a slim-fit straight cut. I marveled at how a guy could be that skinny at an age of 60+ who looked like he had a flat belly.

I know beer makes you fat, but since this part of the forum is about beer, I want to hear about your best beer experience.

My best was a Bruges triple I drank several years ago in Bruges, Belgium.

Of course I think Belgians make the best beer in the world, but as an old-time beer affocianado, I want to hear about your beer experiences.

Share them here. Let's talk about something other than Trump.

Full Sail Amber Ale.

Comment

That's a tough question kahn. Not a lot of detail remembered, but my best was in or near Böblingen, Germany, sometime in 1968. It was a small brewer, name's long gone. But the taste of the velvety doppelbock seems to linger.

Comment

Attached Files
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Best beer I ever drank! Mannekin Pis bar Brussels. Made my monks.
          Attached Files
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

This one puts a whole new meaning on only having "a couple". I think the french make their beer with about the same alcohol content as their wine..

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Jes'Me View Post
              That's a tough question kahn. Not a lot of detail remembered, but my best was in or near Böblingen, Germany, sometime in 1968. It was a small brewer, name's long gone. But the taste of the velvety doppelbock seems to linger.
              I used to buy a keg of Aventinus on my birthday, I understand why you love a good dopplebok!

Aventinus was first brewed for german nobility. It was first brewed either in the late 1600's or the early 1700's. If you were lucky enough to get a keg, you needed a special Sankey to tap it (I had one).
              Last edited by shocka khan; July 4, 2017, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                Full Sail Amber Ale.
                Got the bike jersey (it's an old one).

Comment

So many good answers! Have had the Fischer, like it a lot. Also the Maredesous. Also like the Orvalle.

All great beers!

Another favorite of mine is the Lindeman's Framboise. Great desert beer.

Comment

My first beer was a cold Budweiser out of my uncle's kegerator in a frosty mug. Delicious. Bud doesn't taste the same now. My horizons have expanded, but I still like a cold refreshing beer. Damn near any reasonable Kolsch will fit the bill.

If you are going to knock back a sixer at a barbecue, let me recommend, Kokanee Gold. Hard to find outside of Pacific NW. Easy drinking, but with enough flavor. 5.3% catches up with you.
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

For those of you in college in the late 80's. Wiedemann's. That swill was five bucks a case at the little trailer house liquor store at 21st and Grove.

Comment

This is an interesting import from England. My wife has had it in England. It's better there. A lot of European beers are brewed to be consumed within a day's drive of the brewery.

Don't attempt to drink this straight out of the refrigerator. English drink their beer at "room temperature", which is somewhere in the 50 - 60 degree range.

The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Interesting that you put this thread here at this time. A few home brewer buddies and beer friends of mine came over for a "tasting" I put on this last weekend, mostly comprised of aged beers.

IMG_2206.jpg

The main tasting was of Shmaltz Anniversary beers made from 2010-2014. For those that might not be familiar with those brews, from their 8th anniversary through their 17th, they made their Jewbelation beers with the same number of hops and malts as the number of the anniversary. Yup, their 17th had 17 types of malts and 17 types of hops. Oh, yes, did I mention the ABV also matched the anniversary year? All were quite good and aged very well.

As some of you like a Doppelbock , we had the Shmaltz Rejewvenator from 2013. At 8% ABV, it was just reaching its peak.

Not aged, we had Real Ale's Real Heavy Scotch Ale. In 2015, this beer won a Bronze medal at the Great American Beer Fest and a Gold in 2016. Excellent. I do have some held back for aging as the brew is a robust 9.3% ABV.

While all were very good to outstanding, another favorite of mine from this tasting was Boulevard's Smokestack Series beer, Rye-on-Rye American Strong Ale. I had aged this 11% ABV beer for 7 years.

Comment

The best beer? Usually the last one I had.
                            IMG_4115.jpg

The view was rather outstanding too. :beguiled:

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              For those of you in college in the late 80's. Wiedemann's. That swill was five bucks a case at the little trailer house liquor store at 21st and Grove.
                              My least favorite of all time is Milwaukees Best, but when I was in college, the was the cheapest:

Comment

Working...
                              X