Perspective

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perspective

We all have different backgrounds and different life experiences. Those things affect our political viewpoints. The intelligent among us will vote in their own best interests and support the political viewpoint that best fits their needs and desires. Those needs and desires are based on their life experiences and situations.

That means there will be differing opinions. It doesn't mean anyone is wrong or anyone is right. It just means we have people from a variety of backgrounds and situations.

The current political climate seems to be that anyone who doesn't support our own personal views is wrong. Instead of attempting to educate others on the merits of our own positions, we tend toward things like referring to them as uninformed, which is among the more polite things getting thrown around.

It is possible to tolerate those whose opinions differ from our own. It's even possible to respect those people. It's possible to respect their opinions if we merely understand they have had different circumstances than our own, which has led to their beliefs and leanings. It's possible to be friends with those people.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    We all have different backgrounds and different life experiences. Those things affect our political viewpoints. The intelligent among us will vote in their own best interests and support the political viewpoint that best fits their needs and desires. Those needs and desires are based on their life experiences and situations.

That means there will be differing opinions. It doesn't mean anyone is wrong or anyone is right. It just means we have people from a variety of backgrounds and situations.

The current political climate seems to be that anyone who doesn't support our own personal views is wrong. Instead of attempting to educate others on the merits of our own positions, we tend toward things like referring to them as uninformed, which is among the more polite things getting thrown around.

It is possible to tolerate those whose opinions differ from our own. It's even possible to respect those people. It's possible to respect their opinions if we merely understand they have had different circumstances than our own, which has led to their beliefs and leanings. It's possible to be friends with those people.
    @Aargh:,

I very much appreciate your viewpoints and take on things and I do respect you as an individual (from what I know about you as a poster). Even still, I have a very differing opinion even on your perspective in the take above.

1. People should vote what they feel is best for the country, not their own interests. Often times those things will be the same, often times they will not.

2. There are people that are wrong and people that are right on a variety of topics. Sometimes it's the left and sometimes it's the right. No one is right all the time and neither philosophy holds true continuously through time. As such, it is best that we discuss these ideas, listen, reflect, discuss some more. It's how the good ideas are sorted from the bad. Having a bad idea doesn't make one a bad person and vice versa.

3. I totally agree that there is a tendency to shut down "the others" rather than engaging in discourse and this is a bad and terrible thing. While "educating others" is a fine thing, that's not why I share my opinion. I prefer to listen to valid critiques of my own argument such that I can strengthen it or revise it.

4. All of the bits about tolerance and friendship are true. Respect is earned and lost over time. Similar or differing opinions are independent of the respect that they merit.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
    X