U. Mich Students Demand Segregation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U. Mich Students Demand Segregation

An student organization that is demanding the university create an environment that engages in diversity, equity and inclusion, now adds a demand they be given segregated space for blacks only where they can "fight against the oppression and hateful acts".

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    An student organization that is demanding the university create an environment that engages in diversity, equity and inclusion, now adds a demand they be given segregated space for blacks only where they can "fight against the oppression and hateful acts".

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31322/
    The same thing is going on at other universities like Cal State and Berkeley, and I think even one of them actually offers segregated dorms. All of these social justice people on these campuses would have us believe they are the modern day civil rights fighters are doing everything to undermine everything that people who faced an actual struggle fought to accomplish. It's bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/31322/
      That's just crazy! Do you want to be a part of society or your own society?
      Livin the dream

Comment

Comment

This is getting positively ridiculous. I weep for the future of our country and world if this mentality is going to continue to seep into our youth and then society.

Comment

Did you read the NPR article? I basically have no problem with this.

The school isn't actually banning white composers. They've just made a commitment to utilize a piece from a composer of color and a female composer in each of the band's concerts. Because of that, they'll only be purchasing music from non-white composers since they, presumably, have a large stockpile of music from white composers.

Things like this are a really great way to get non-white students interested in band. You get to talk to the class about how there historically haven't been a lot of non-white composers and honor the ones that there have been. It doesn't hurt anyone. An English class having a black history month section wouldn't be strange. An art class focusing on paintings from non-white artists wouldn't be strange. These are all pursuits in which the artist (the author, painter, composer) puts a great deal of emotion into their projects, and non-white artists have a unique perspective in many of these fields.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              Did you read the NPR article? I basically have no problem with this.

The school isn't actually banning white composers. They've just made a commitment to utilize a piece from a composer of color and a female composer in each of the band's concerts. Because of that, they'll only be purchasing music from non-white composers since they, presumably, have a large stockpile of music from white composers.

Things like this are a really great way to get non-white students interested in band. You get to talk to the class about how there historically haven't been a lot of non-white composers and honor the ones that there have been. It doesn't hurt anyone. An English class having a black history month section wouldn't be strange. An art class focusing on paintings from non-white artists wouldn't be strange. These are all pursuits in which the artist (the author, painter, composer) puts a great deal of emotion into their projects, and non-white artists have a unique perspective in many of these fields.
              I must have read a different article than you.

Headline: School Band Won't Use Music From White Composers

First sentence in article: NPR reported on a Minnesota high school band's decision to not use music from white composers.

Just where did the article say anything about utilizing a (singular) piece from a composer of color? Where did it mention anything about them playing a piece from a female composer? The only mention I saw regarding females was from the quote of Yolanda Williams that "composers of color and women" are somehow broadly discriminated against.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                I must have read a different article than you.

Headline: School Band Won't Use Music From White Composers

First sentence in article: NPR reported on a Minnesota high school band's decision to not use music from white composers.

Just where did the article say anything about utilizing a (singular) piece from a composer of color? Where did it mention anything about them playing a piece from a female composer? The only mention I saw regarding females was from the quote of Yolanda Williams that "composers of color and women" are somehow broadly discriminated against.
                The very first sentence of my post asked if the OP had read the NPR article that the linked website posted about. That was the source material the linked website decided to write a very biased article about.

Comment

Often, high school band music is composed by white men. So this school is seeking out music from women and composers of color who are writing music, but aren't being published at the same rate.

I guess you mean this article, where they try to explain away why they will not be buying music from white composers

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                    http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/...osers-of-color

I guess you mean this article, where they try to explain away why they will not be buying music from white composers
                    Correct... The only article posted so far that actually did any actual journalism. The other site actually just took the topic and quotes from NPR and put its spin on them.

Great work.

Comment

Basically the same thing

Comment

The very first sentence of my post asked if the OP had read the NPR article that the linked website posted about. That was the source material the linked website decided to write a very biased article about.
                        Correct... The only article posted so far that actually did any actual journalism. The other site actually just took the topic and quotes from NPR and put its spin on them.

Great work.
                        Thanks. I guess I never really paid much attention to who was white and who was black as far as Big Band and Swing Band music was written by. Given the strong influence of blacks as band leaders, band members, and singers of this music, I always assumed (probably rightly) that there was a fair share of blacks who wrote the music they played. I didn't care whether they were black or white. I would think a high school band director would have to go out of his way not to have included this music.

Comment

Basically the same thing
                          No, it wasn't.

Comment

They are not going to buy music from white composers. That's the story in both links.

Comment

They are not going to buy music from white composers. That's the story in both links.
                              Yeah, but they already have a bunch of that. If I have a Shocker Hall of Fame in my basement, and 90% of it is dedicated to Ron Baker...that would be pretty cool! If I then said, this year I'm only going to buy Fred VanVleet stuff to decorate my walls, since he's under represented, that doesn't mean I am banning Ron Baker.

What's actually sad to me is that we have to make distinctions at all based on sex/race, and that those decisions are highly politicized by both sides.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X