Term Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Term Limits

Senator Ted Cruz & Rep Ron DeSantis proposed a constitutional amendment for term limits on Congress. The text of the proposed amendment is linked in the article.

Aiming to reform Capitol Hill, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-Fla) officially filed an amendment on Tuesday to impose term limits on Congress. Cruz made the annoucement on Facebook, saying: "With control of a decisive majority of the states, the House of Representatives, and the Se...
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Proposing term limits in Congress is generally just a political move to impress the voters by appearing to do something when there is no intention of actually doing anything.

It is an absolute certainty that 2/3 of both the House and the Senate will NEVER approve an amendment to eliminate their jobs and power base. Introducing a bill to do that looks good to the voters back home, but it's just a wink and a nod in Congress. If it even gets to the point of getting a vote, that would mean politicians in Washington would have to go on record with the vote, which would not be a politically sound move.

I predict this will die in committee because "it didn't have the votes to pass". The bills sponsors get to look good to their constituents, and no one has to take a hit for going on record as opposing it. I hate these kinds of stunts. It's just publicity and politicking with no intention of doing anything. It's a bit like the Kansas legislature passing their annual abortion bill that has no chance of making it through the court system. It delivers votes at the next election and only costs the State about a million a year in legal fees.

When getting elected again becomes more important than serving the country, I'm skeptical of Congress imposing term limits on themselves. Have Cruz start working at the State level if he actually wants term limits.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Thats pretty pessimistic in light of how these hard working public servants have done so much to help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Proposing term limits in Congress is generally just a political move to impress the voters by appearing to do something when there is no intention of actually doing anything.

It is an absolute certainty that 2/3 of both the House and the Senate will NEVER approve an amendment to eliminate their jobs and power base. Introducing a bill to do that looks good to the voters back home, but it's just a wink and a nod in Congress. If it even gets to the point of getting a vote, that would mean politicians in Washington would have to go on record with the vote, which would not be a politically sound move.

I predict this will die in committee because "it didn't have the votes to pass". The bills sponsors get to look good to their constituents, and no one has to take a hit for going on record as opposing it. I hate these kinds of stunts. It's just publicity and politicking with no intention of doing anything. It's a bit like the Kansas legislature passing their annual abortion bill that has no chance of making it through the court system. It delivers votes at the next election and only costs the State about a million a year in legal fees.

When getting elected again becomes more important than serving the country, I'm skeptical of Congress imposing term limits on themselves. Have Cruz start working at the State level if he actually wants term limits.
        I hope your wrong but I fear you're right.

I think Cruz really is serious about this but you're almost certainly right about the rest of congress. The thing that gives me a little bit of hope on this is that I don't think there has ever been more support for term limits among the general public than right now. Its something just about everyone can get behind regardless of their political philosophy. Here's hoping enough folks contact their representatives and demand they support this.
        Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

If it ever happens, it will not be through Congress, but through a Convention of the States.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Does anyone know why they actually decided to have a two-term limit for the Presidency? Who was in control of Congress when Franklin Roosevelt started his third term?

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
              Does anyone know why they actually decided to have a two-term limit for the Presidency? Who was in control of Congress when Franklin Roosevelt started his third term?
              I believe it was actually proposed during FDR's fourth term, after he already died. Republicans had a majority at the time.

Comment

It was proposed in 1947 and ratified in 1951.

Comment

Working...
                X