Facts, Conspiracy, and Democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facts, Conspiracy, and Democracy

Read this great article by the Washington Post today about how so many Americans don't believe facts that are provided by the government, unbiased consulting firms, etc. I'm curious to get the esteemed SN Politics section opinions on this opinion article.

The mountains are calling, and I must go.

My opinion is that the opinion piece sucks.

I'll try to read it later when I have time.

Comment

Is there any doubt that politicians pick and choose what data to highlight, and what data to bury?

There is just too much evidence that those who benefit from big government use selective information or misinformation to further their cause.
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
        There is just too much evidence that MOST PEOPLE use selective information or misinformation to further their cause.
        FIFY

Comment

I stopped believing much that I hear from the government or from political office-seekers 50 years ago. The lies and manipulated data are so obvious and based on self-serving interests that it's difficuit for me to comprehend how anyone can believe any part of it.

All I need to do is read ShockerNet or look at Facebook and I'm seeing all sorts of bias, prejudice, restatment of made-up "facts", etc. framed as facts. It frightens me to think some people actually believe the garbage they spew. The fact that the country has survived as well as it has gives me hope that we can muddle through all the misinformation we're fed and survive another 4 years of whatever government we happen to empower.

The part that really bothers me is misinformation that leads to wars and the loss of American lives on foreign soil.
          Last edited by Aargh; October 18, 2016, 12:17 PM.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Where was this "data trutherism" term, and criticisms of quantitative distrust, the eight years Dubya was in office? Where would a liberal be without the ability to make up words and terms to use pejoratively towards people that dare disagree?

Oh yeah, it is something totally new and relevant today because it is the right doing it this time. Before it was just healthy intellectual skepticism from the enlightened illuminati that populates the political left.

Oh... and screw Trump.
            Last edited by SHOCKvalue; October 18, 2016, 12:27 PM.

Comment

I think people should:

1. Understand those who who feeding you conclusions to data may have a bias

2. Learn to look at the raw data yourself and see if interpretations match what they are saying. Eventually you will find there are some you can trust more than others.

It like when march madness is getting near - do you believe some talking head on ESPN or do you go to the data......

Comment

I wish this would have been just an X-files episode.

Comment

Google didn't list any major news outlets so maybe it's not true.

Comment

Let's blame this guy.

Comment

Working...
                    X