Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
    Republicans used to be very good at framing arguments around core principles and intellectual ideology in national elections. We are trending strongly in the opposite direction if we nominate Trump IMO.
    I don't think true conservatives (or party republicans) are wanting to nominate him. So the question is this - is Trump a democratic plant to hi-jack the republican party nomination?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
      My 100% guarantee was meant as nothing more than a "I'm absolutely convinced in my mind". I think I've given plenty of reasoning to explain how I reached my conclusion.

You are correct that I have not proved this 100% figure to be accurate the way scientist can 100% promise that an apple will fall down, not up, from a tree. Consider my guarantee the same as if I said "I 100% guarantee WSU will not be playing in the play-in round in St. Louis this year". It is a statement that is far from mathematically verifiable, but my point is, I absolutely believe it to be true.
      Okay - I get it. You don't understand math and you are posturing. Mathematically there is only 0.01% to 0.04% chance WSU could be in the play-in round in STL.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        I don't think true conservatives (or party republicans) are wanting to nominate him. So the question is this - is Trump a democratic plant to hi-jack the republican party nomination?
        Right? I think it's more likely he's just an egomaniac and saw that a populist platform of socially conservative views mixed with tired, protectionist economic ideas (and of course low taxes because who ever wants higher ones?) was the easiest path to getting a nomination in a weakened and fractured GOP. But who knows.

If he gets the nom, I am guessing his pivot on everything starting at 8 AM the day after the convention will be epic even by modern political standards.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
          Despite that article, I just don't think Trump has a chance in the general election. I feel like democrats would switch for the primaries to vote for Trump so Hillary has an easier time in the general election than she would against someone else.
          Another article speculating the exact opposite of conventional wisdom is quite the problem for Hillary:

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Another article speculating the exact opposite of conventional wisdom is quite the problem for Hillary:

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...arys-nightmare
            I don't know. I'm just not persuaded by that logic. He is in a good spot to criticize the last administration's policies because he has had no involvement in politics? I just think people are going to be persuaded by Hillary when she says "you don't have any idea what it's like to get a call at 2 am to make an important military decision," whether that's a good argument or not. I'm also not sure the average voter feels like Obama's administration has been full of empty promises.

But this is all just gut reaction from me. If you had to set the odds, what would you personally set them at re: Donald Trump v. Hillary Clinton? I think I'd put money down on anything that had Hillary at less than 80% chance at victory in the general election against Trump.

Caveat: I don't know much. I'd probably set the odds that @SB Shock: is right about Trump being a democratic plant at like 50/50.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
              I don't know. I'm just not persuaded by that logic. He is in a good spot to criticize the last administration's policies because he has had no involvement in politics? I just think people are going to be persuaded by Hillary when she says "you don't have any idea what it's like to get a call at 2 am to make an important military decision," whether that's a good argument or not. I'm also not sure the average voter feels like Obama's administration has been full of empty promises.

But this is all just gut reaction from me. If you had to set the odds, what would you personally set them at re: Donald Trump v. Hillary Clinton? I think I'd put money down on anything that had Hillary at less than 80% chance at victory in the general election against Trump.

Caveat: I don't know much. I'd probably set the odds that @SB Shock is right about Trump being a democratic plant at like 50/50.
              I don't know either. I'd guess if the stock market doesn't get cranking again (will the Fed raise rates again prior to the election?), and/or if we get attacked again, and/or if the overall mood is poor in this country come voting time for whatever reason -- then Trump will beat Hillary. I think Trump's celebrity status will allow him to get his message in front of far more voters than any other candidate. If his shtick is charismatic enough, he'll win over some Dem votes that Rubio and Cruz could only dream of getting -- but it may be at the expense of conservative no-votes that Cruz and Rubio would have locked up.

I do, however, think if you think Hillary is automatically a shoe-in to beat Trump this early in the game, you may be very surprised come election time.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                Right? I think it's more likely he's just an egomaniac and saw that a populist platform of socially conservative views mixed with tired, protectionist economic ideas (and of course low taxes because who ever wants higher ones?) was the easiest path to getting a nomination in a weakened and fractured GOP. But who knows.

If he gets the nom, I am guessing his pivot on everything starting at 8 AM the day after the convention will be epic even by modern political standards.
                I think your right that this about his ego. If that is the case, he will likely run as a 3rd party candidate if he doesn't get the nomination.

Comment

I think your right that this about his ego. If that is the case, he will likely run as a 3rd party candidate if he doesn't get the nomination.
                  And THAT'S how Hillary gets elected.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    And THAT'S how Hillary gets elected.
                    What happens if she is indicted?

Comment

What happens if she is indicted?
                      Indicted by who? Obama's FBI? Worst case he says, "This indictment is unfounded and an attempt by Republicans to keep her from being elected, so I am going to pardon her." And, man will the Clintons owe him big time. In fact, he could do that before she is even indicted, if the Clintons will pay the piper:

"In 1866, the Supreme Court ruled in Ex parte Garland that the pardon power "extends to every offence known to the law, and may be exercised at any time after its commission, either before legal proceedings are taken, or during their pendency, or after conviction and judgment." [source]

Comment

In a recent poll, 20% of Democrats stated they would switch and vote for Trump:

Comment

For decades — and especially during the Obama presidency — traditional Democrat strongholds in the blue-collar North and in vast areas of the South have shifted, in some cases dramatically, to Republicans, he contends.

Many registered Democrats in those regions now self-identify as Republicans or Republican-leaning independents. Trump has captivated these voters, resulting in his commanding lead in the Republican field.

“The Democratic Party is predominantly composed of folks holding cosmopolitan values, which includes a moral preference for redistributive policies,” Nichols said — while Republicans are the party of traditional values, including a moral preference for rugged individualism and market-oriented policies.

Comment

SOTU speech included some going after Trump (not by name). Even the Republican response did. Expect Trump to go up another 5 percent this week in the polls.
                            In the fast lane

Comment

It was a lively and entertaining debate last night. In part due to the moderators losing control as evidenced by the debate going about 20 or so minutes over. This allowed Trump and Cruz to grab a minutes going after each other. I think Trump had his best night at a debate but Cruz was not a loser. Other than Rubio who did OK, the others might as well hang it up. I'll give Bush credit for taking a different stance on Muslims, but it will not get him back into the mix.
                              Last edited by tropicalshox; January 15, 2016, 10:46 AM.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

Don't know the source of this; just a random political email message with an interesting analogy:

"You've been on vacation for two weeks, you come home, and your basement is infested with raccoons. Hundreds of rabid, messy, mean raccoons have overtaken your basement. You want them gone immediately so you hire a guy. A pro. You don't care if the guy smells, you need those raccoons gone pronto and he's the guy to do it! You don't care if the guy swears, you don't care if he's an alcoholic, you don't care how many times he's been married, you don't care if he voted for Obama, you don't care if he has plumber's crack...you simply want those raccoons gone! You want your problem fixed! He's the guy. He's the best. Period.

That's why Trump. Yes he's a bit of an ass, yes he's an egomaniac, but you don't care. The country is a mess because politicians suck, the Republican Party is two-faced & gutless, illegals are everywhere. You want it all fixed! You don't care that Trump is crude, you don't care that he insults people, you don't care that he had been friendly with Hillary, you don't care that he has changed positions, you don't care that he's been married 3 times, you don't care that he fights with Megyn Kelly and Rosie O'Donnell, you don't care that he doesn't know the name of some Muslin terrorist,...this country is weak, bankrupt, our enemies are making fun of us, we are being invaded by illegal's, we are becoming a nation of victims where every Tom, Ricardo and Hamid is a special group with special rights to a point where we don’t even recognize the country we were born and raised in; “AND WE JUST WANT IT FIXED” and Trump is the only guy who seems to understand what the people want. You're sick of politicians, sick of the Democratic Party, Republican Party, and sick of illegal's. You just want this thing fixed. Trump may not be a saint, but doesn’t have lobbyist money holding him, he doesn’t have political correctness restraining him, all you know is that he has been very successful, a good negotiator, he has built a lot of things, and he's also not a politician, he's not a cowardly politician. And he says he'll fix it.

You don't care if the guy has bad hair. You just want those raccoons gone. Out of your house. Now."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X