2016 - Trump 13,445,749
    2012 - Romney 9,947,433
    2008 - McCain 9,902,797

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
      2016 - Trump 13,445,749
      2012 - Romney 9,947,433
      2008 - McCain 9,902,797
      I've already addressed that data in previous posts and showed why it doesn't prove some of the things people might think at first sight. What is your point in re-posting it? What part of my previous dismissal of it do you disagree with?
      Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; June 10, 2016, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
        I've already addressed that data in previous posts and showed why it doesn't prove some of the things people might think at first sight. What is your point in re-posting it? What part of my previous dismissal of it do you disagree with?
        Sorry, I don't read or see every post.

If the popular vote is not significant, then the % that is derived from the popular vote can't be deemed significant.

All the % tell me is there were a lot of worthy candidates that drew a lot of interested voters that split the vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          Sorry, I don't read or see every post.
          That's fair enough.

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
          If the popular vote is not significant, then the % that is derived from the popular vote can't be deemed significant.
          I disagree. The significance of the two (total votes and %) is not tied together nearly as strongly as you think. Primary turnout is driven by both the competitiveness of a race (the closer the race, the more people make sacrifices to show up on voting day) as well as the level of publicity and polarization of the campaign season. It is just a matter of what percentage of the general electorate is going to be convinced to come out for a primary as well. New voters in primaries are hardly ever first time voters. They are almost always already general election voters. Historically, high or low primary turnout doesn't correlate well at all with high or low general election turnout.

On the other hand, voting percentages from primaries do have a bit more correlation with general elections. Candidates who receive the vast majority of primary votes within their party tend to also do well with their party in the general. Candidates who have very limited support in the primary often have a hard time rallying the entire party to their side by November. I think this is all pretty intuitive stuff, but I'll give you some data to support my argument.

Check out the following table showing primary and general election turnout by party. This is not showing who voted for who, just who showed up.
          P R I M A R Y...V O T E S G E N E R A L... V O T E S
          Year Republican Democrat Republican Democrat
          1976 10.4 mil 16.1 mil 17.9 mil 30.1 mil
          1980 12.7 mil 18.7 mil 24.2 mil 37.1 mil
          1984 18.0 mil 32.3 mil 35.1 mil
          1988 12.2 mil 23.0 mil 32.0 mil 33.8 mil
          1992 20.2 mil 36.5 mil 39.6 mil
          1996 14.2 mil 32.4 mil 37.1 mil
          2000 17.2 mil 14.0 mil 36.8 mil 41.0 mil
          2004 16.2 mil 45.2 mil 45.2 mil
          2008 21.2 mil 35.9 mil 41.9 mil 51.1mil
          2012 18.7 mil 41.2 mil 48.9 mil
          I think it is notable that:
          The 2nd biggest spike in Democrat primary turnout (1988) was also the most disappointing Democrat turnout later that same year in November.
          The single biggest dropoff in Democrat primary turnout (2000) was still a very solid Democrat turnout come that November.
          Even the Clinton/Obama off the charts spike in '08 (36 million primary votes is crazy high!) led to only a small increase in November turnout, and I would argue that Obama was a unique figure in US history at getting first time voters to the polls. Ain't no way in God's green earth that Trump touches the number of first time voters that Obama pulled in that year.

The 1988 Democrat primary was actually very similar in a lot of ways to 2016 for the Republicans. 5 different candidates won at least one state, and 3 different candidates won at least 7 states each! Dukakis eventually won with only 42% of the primary vote, an extremely low winning percentage. Total primary turnout was huge in '88, so one might have assumed that Democrat turnout that fall would also be strong. It wasn't. It was atrocious. In general, primary turnout and general turnout just don't correlate very well. On the other hand, primary support for the eventual nominee is a much better (if still imperfect) predictor. Dukakis only won a plurality of party votes in the primary, and he never did get the party to rally around him. I think you will see something similar in 2016 with the Republicans.

Remember, my whole premise is that Trump is in trouble with Republicans. He is going to receive a horribly low vote total amongst registered R's this fall, at least by historical standards. Romney and McCain both pulled in 93% of the Republican votes in November of their respective years. Will Trump get the vast majority? Likely yes, but even 80 or 85% doesn't sound so good when you compare it to what the past two (eventual losers) received. Clearly, there is no mathematical formula to tell us precisely how to convert primary results into general election vote totals, but I've been trying to make the argument that we have enough information to draw some general conclusions.
          Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; June 10, 2016, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• New Zogby poll in KANSAS: Clinton 43%. Trump 36%. Undecided 21%. I am guessing that the vast majority of undecideds are Republicans who just can't stomach voting for Trump (yet anyway).
            Last edited by shocker3; June 10, 2016, 08:27 PM.

Comment

That's fair enough.

I disagree. The significance of the two (total votes and %) is not tied together nearly as strongly as you think. Primary turnout is driven by both the competitiveness of a race (the closer the race, the more people make sacrifices to show up on voting day) as well as the level of publicity and polarization of the campaign season. It is just a matter of what percentage of the general electorate is going to be convinced to come out for a primary as well. New voters in primaries are hardly ever first time voters. They are almost always already general election voters. Historically, high or low primary turnout doesn't correlate well at all with high or low general election turnout.

On the other hand, voting percentages from primaries do have a bit more correlation with general elections. Candidates who receive the vast majority of primary votes within their party tend to also do well with their party in the general. Candidates who have very limited support in the primary often have a hard time rallying the entire party to their side by November. I think this is all pretty intuitive stuff, but I'll give you some data to support my argument.

Check out the following table showing primary and general election turnout by party. This is not showing who voted for who, just who showed up.
              P R I M A R Y...V O T E S G E N E R A L... V O T E S
              Year Republican Democrat Republican Democrat
              1976 10.4 mil 16.1 mil 17.9 mil 30.1 mil
              1980 12.7 mil 18.7 mil 24.2 mil 37.1 mil
              1984 18.0 mil 32.3 mil 35.1 mil
              1988 12.2 mil 23.0 mil 32.0 mil 33.8 mil
              1992 20.2 mil 36.5 mil 39.6 mil
              1996 14.2 mil 32.4 mil 37.1 mil
              2000 17.2 mil 14.0 mil 36.8 mil 41.0 mil
              2004 16.2 mil 45.2 mil 45.2 mil
              2008 21.2 mil 35.9 mil 41.9 mil 51.1mil
              2012 18.7 mil 41.2 mil 48.9 mil
              I think it is notable that:
              The 2nd biggest spike in Democrat primary turnout (1988) was also the most disappointing Democrat turnout later that same year in November.
              The single biggest dropoff in Democrat primary turnout (2000) was still a very solid Democrat turnout come that November.
              Even the Clinton/Obama off the charts spike in '08 (36 million primary votes is crazy high!) led to only a small increase in November turnout, and I would argue that Obama was a unique figure in US history at getting first time voters to the polls. Ain't no way in God's green earth that Trump touches the number of first time voters that Obama pulled in that year.

The 1988 Democrat primary was actually very similar in a lot of ways to 2016 for the Republicans. 5 different candidates won at least one state, and 3 different candidates won at least 7 states each! Dukakis eventually won with only 42% of the primary vote, an extremely low winning percentage. Total primary turnout was huge in '88, so one might have assumed that Democrat turnout that fall would also be strong. It wasn't. It was atrocious. In general, primary turnout and general turnout just don't correlate very well. On the other hand, primary support for the eventual nominee is a much better (if still imperfect) predictor. Dukakis only won a plurality of party votes in the primary, and he never did get the party to rally around him. I think you will see something similar in 2016 with the Republicans.

Remember, my whole premise is that Trump is in trouble with Republicans. He is going to receive a horribly low vote total amongst registered R's this fall, at least by historical standards. Romney and McCain both pulled in 93% of the Republican votes in November of their respective years. Will Trump get the vast majority? Likely yes, but even 80 or 85% doesn't sound so good when you compare it to what the past two (eventual losers) received. Clearly, there is no mathematical formula to tell us precisely how to convert primary results into general election vote totals, but I've been trying to make the argument that we have enough information to draw some general conclusions.
              Your premise wouldn't work in 2008 - depending on the estimate BO either just got 50.1% or trailed Hillary in popular vote %.

I will agree with u on one thing - the Republican Party is in big trouble with or without Trump.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                New Zogby poll in KANSAS: Clinton 43%. Trump 36%. Undecided 21%. I am guessing that the vast majority of undecideds are Republicans who just can't stomach voting for Trump (yet anyway).
                http://www.kansas.com/news/politics-...e83034887.html
                The poll should be warning signal to the Republican party. But looking at the demographics of the poll.

High School graduate voter is under represented here: 14% - actual vote in 2012 was 23% [this is core trump voter]

The breakout by ideology is off (2012 in parenthesis:

Republican 44% (48%)
                Democrat 28% (27%)
                Ind 29% (24%)

Gender is off
                Female 53% (50%)
                Male 47% (50%)

The hot button issue was education [wonder why] - so if they resolve that here in the next month does that change the dynamics at all?

Attached Files

Comment

That is a good article (I have read it before) - the key is enthusiasm. Anecdotally I don't see enthusiasm for Republican nominee. But the thing Trump does have going for him is Hillary. 538 had this graphic out the just this week on Trump

Attached Files

Comment

• Here is summary of the popular vote broken down, but Red, Blue and battleground states.

Attached Files

Comment

• Comment

New Zogby poll in KANSAS: Clinton 43%. Trump 36%. Undecided 21%. I am guessing that the vast majority of undecideds are Republicans who just can't stomach voting for Trump (yet anyway).
                        1) Zogby has a terrible track record over the last 10+ years.

2) The poll was commissioned by the Kansas Health Foundation who advocates for Public Health spending and specifically expanding entitlements.

If the Dems think Hillary is winning KS they're more than welcome to waste their resources here.
                        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                        -John Wooden

Comment

• Here is Bush in 2000 primaries

Attached Files

Comment

• I'm the envy of my neighborhood...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Sam Brownback's performance as Governor is certainly not doing Trump any favors and Trump needs all the help he can get. But with friends like Brownback who needs enemies.

Comment

Working...
                              X