Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seskridge
    This. And to be honest, while I think Hillary is corrupt I think Obama was pretty straight and narrow compared to the vast majority of politicians. I also don't think the 8 years did a bunch of harm, in fact, I think some pretty positive things have happened in the past 8 yrs. Heck, I got a PhD with zero debt and am making good money. I was able to buy a house with my then fiance and now husband with a great 15 yr mortgage. Brownbacks policies have harmed Kansas much more than Obamas ever did. Kansas has the worst economy. The vast majority of states show good gains on their economy during Obamas term. I truly think it was fox news that radicalized the right and created the altright on accident which is somewhat comical since the altright now view fox news as too
    liberal.
    I kind of felt like Obamas connections to the weather underground were not good. Also, I spent the last 8 years paying off my student loans and my federal taxes went up as I made more money. Sounds like I should be a democrat and not worry about any of that.
    Livin the dream

Comment

My federal taxes went up as well but I guess for me I see my taxes as a way to make the usa better by funding science and programs that help people so I don't mind.
      I like to donate to charities.
      Livin the dream

Comment

I like everyone to fund a better society that will produce less murders, safer neighborhoods, better educated, and overall happier population. The weathly will by and large not donate the amount of money they would pay in taxes. Like my momma always saud "you can't take your money with you once your dead" so yes, save for retirement and have a decent lifestyle but there is no need to hoard money.
        How do we get fewer murders?
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Providing better resources for lower class individuals such as reduce fee preschool etc generally results in less crime such as murders
          Has this been proven, or is this theory? Also, isn't the murder rate currently half what it was in the 80's? And if so, didn't that happen without reduced fee preschool?
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I like everyone to fund a better society that will produce less murders, safer neighborhoods, better educated, and overall happier population. The weathly will by and large not donate the amount of money they would pay in taxes. Like my momma always saud "you can't take your money with you once your dead" so yes, save for retirement and have a decent lifestyle but there is no need to hoard money.
            Wow.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
              How do we get fewer murders?
              Better equipped police force? Pepsi commercials with transgendered and smiling policemen?
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Awesome! We've got the cure for all homicides. We can just pass a regulation (using of course @wufan:'s increased taxes) and have @seskridge: or one of her educated folks at the ready and force anyone that wants to buy a gun to sit down with them first and they can talk them out of it.

Problem solved. Makes me so happy when the populace listens to educators and fixes what's right in front of them. We need more people, in school, in secondary education (free of course) for longer periods of time. In fact, if everyone just went to college forever....THAT'S IT!

FREE COLLEGE FOR EVERYONE FOREVER!

No crime, no want, no issues.

KABOOM.

Next?

Comment

Please don't act like an a hole just because the research supports something you don't agree with.
                  I would honestly appreciate the opportunity to read this research. I googled it and came up empty. Thanks!
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret killed

"The GBU-43B, a 21,000-pound conventional bomb, was dropped on an ISIS tunnel complex in Nangarhar Province."

The U.S. military dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb on an ISIS tunnel complex in eastern Afghanistan on Thursday, a U.S. defense official confirmed to Fox News.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Not so simple but yes. Look at some sem models (structural equation models) related to this.
                      Yes to the murder rate being half of what it was in the 80's or that this is proven?

Comment

Both. It is really hard to prove causation instead of correlation but research is getting there.
                        So, the murder rate began to drop long before widespread preschool, yet preschool is the answer to reducing murder? It does sound like we have a big challenge with the whole causation and correlation thing.

When I was in elementary school, I was placed in a brand new school. It was built using the best educational research and designed ergonomically with the child in mind. No expenses were spared. Open concept, minimal walls, small intimate meeting areas, along with "pits" where whole grade levels could meet.

A new curriculum was also installed, named IPI, Individualized Paced Instruction. All of this was done based on top level research. The teachers became more of guides assisting along a student's educational path. It was theorized that all students learn differently (which they do) and at different paces. Every student worked their way from first through sixth grade We used disposable paper books, math, science, and english. A pretest to start a section and a post test to move onto the next. To pass on to junior high, the student must pass through the curriculum, at their own pace. A fourth frader could be doing second grade reading and fourth grade math, it didn't matter.

The project was an abject failure. The students that succeeded were the ones who had parents that pushed them through. Some really gifted and motivated students finished by the end of the first quarter in sixth grade and the teachers had nothing more for them. Many, like me, did just enough to keep moving and my parents off my back. Sadly, many of my classmates had little or no parental involvement and were absolutely lost when they were dumped into seventh grade. My upper middle class elementary school had a shockingly high high school dropout rate.

I was back in the Chicago area several years ago. I visited my progressive, cutting edge elementary school. The entire interior was gutted, classrooms replaced the open concept. Long gone are cubbies where students picked up their next level of IPI math, english or science. My point is that until you can directly place causation, pardon me if I'm a little sceptical of the next best education driven research that will save America and better educate our children. I lived it once, it was terrible. From my own experience, both as a student and as a parent, the key to success isn't have preschool at three, isn't shoveling more money into schools, but getting parents involved in their children's education. I truely believe that loving, caring and involved parenting will go a lot further in bettering the outcomes of our children, lowering the crime rate and better preparing them for life than any preschool program.

I did send half of my children to preschool, not as an experiment, but just because. The three children that went to preschool were miles ahead of the two that didn't. Until second grade. By second grade there was no difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                          So should democrat Tony Podesta have registered as a foreign agent when he was representing Russia largest bank as lobbyist?

Should Hillary have allowed "foreign registered agents" to raise money for her campaign? When clinton campaign was debating whether to let these guys raise money, Clinton campaign communication director said

Robby Mook said
                          Flynn/Manafort literally got checks paid by the Russian government. That is not the case with Podesta. Podesta joined the board of Joule Unlimited, a solar energy company, in 2011. A few months later, Anatoly Chubais, chairman and CEO of Russia-backed investment fund RUSNANO, also joined Joule’s board.

Podesta was on a board with an individual that happened to be connected to Russia, but he joined the company (which is American) before that individual. Podesta was never a lobbyist for that individual's bank, wasn't paid by that bank, just happened to be associated with the CEO and chairmen of that bank on the board of a different company.

Just factually speaking, what you are saying isn't accurate.

Comment

There is a ton of evidence about the effects on preschool in super low income areas. If we provided reduced fee preschool to at risk or better universal preschool, O bet we would see better education achievement, less crime etc. As studies have shown. Please go research sem modeling as it shows the amount of variance accounted for.
                            Lots of typing and deleting. It's not worth the argument. There are people that believe a village can raise children. You can't change their mind.

Comment

There is a ton of evidence about the effects on preschool in super low income areas. If we provided reduced fee preschool to at risk or better universal preschool, O bet we would see better education achievement, less crime etc. As studies have shown. Please go research sem modeling as it shows the amount of variance accounted for.
                              Thanks for posting the article is was interesting. The conclusion said that we should have good pre-schools funded by the gov. The body said that sometimes kids did better with school and sometimes they did worse (mostly better). There were pretty good outcomes for not be held back, graduating, not doing special ed...reduced improvement long term. There were NO long term effects on crime. That was what you posted...pre-k stops murder. If it was in the article I missed it. Any research you can point to that shows pre-k prevents crime?
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                Thanks for posting the article is was interesting. The conclusion said that we should have good pre-schools funded by the gov. The body said that sometimes kids did better with school and sometimes they did worse (mostly better). There were pretty good outcomes for not be held back, graduating, not doing special ed...reduced improvement long term. There were NO long term effects on crime. That was what you posted...pre-k stops murder. If it was in the article I missed it. Any research you can point to that shows pre-k prevents crime?
                                A few years ago, we started a preschool at my church. I was on the committee that studied both the feasability and outcomes. We looked at lots and lots of studies. And like I noted about my children, there was a bump in children that receive preschool vs. those that don't. The studies highlighted that.

But that bump doesn't last. Even the study provided in this thread questions the long-term efficicacy. Those of us that were tasked with this endeavor, went into the whole thing with an open mind. There were liberals and conservatives on the committee. After extensive research, everyone of us came out of the committee thinking the same thing, that preschool was nice, but the home environment has more to do with outcomes than anything else.

Socioeconimics play a larger role than the best preschool ever will. Starting preschool at three years-old doesn't stop that person from killing someone when they are 18. We can try to fix society's problems by implementing full-day, public preschool at three, but when the kid is eight, he hasn't eaten all day, seen his mom in two days, his father is in prison and doesn't have clean clothes, I don't think anything he "learned" in preschool is going to keep him from stealing Johnny's lunch money.

We opened our preschool, and it is high quality. In the end, it wasn't because anyone on the committee was sold on outcomes, but because concerned parents, who believed it would give their children an advantage, plus it was cheaper than daycare, demanded it. Also, our all day preschool is cheaper than daycare. We get the kids early, parents are happy, it streamlines these kids into our parochial school and sustains church membership. Everybody wins!

I don't know the answer to poor, hungry disadvantaged children. Getting them into a preschool sooner will probably structure their lives better and.put some food in their stomach. But I have a very hard time believing that this is the answer to the nation's murder rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X