X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    You and concrete...

Are you aware:

*On-site concrete production plants that can be broken down and moved are a thing. A very common thing.
    *There are three components to concrete - portland cement, sand, and water. Sand and water are both immediately available on site over most of the length of the wall extension (we're talking about arid desert butting up to the Rio Grande). That leaves the drastically less voluminous portland cement component being the lone ingredient requiring transport to the site.

I have no idea why I am engaging you, as it appears you might not be well in the noggin. I'm not sure if you really realize how absolutely batshit crazy you look with the ever-changing numbers from nowhere you're throwing around. You must be fun at parties. Does a widget cost $3, $300, or $0.30? Depends on the minute you happen to ask ol' CBB_Fan. In the mean time, enjoy this 2000 word quote from an obscure author who lived in the seventeenth century.
    Alright, time for a real rant.

Hannah Arendt wasn't an obscure seventeenth century author. She was a German-born Jewish American political theorist. She escaped Europe during the Holocaust, and during WWII worked for Youth Aliyah, a Zionist organization, which saved thousands of children from the Holocaust. Your lack of knowledge is not proof of her obscurity, nor is it proof of anything but itself. Her work on totalitarianism is considered seminal, and the book I quoted from has been called one of the best non-fiction books of the century. Le Monde placed the book among the 100 best books of any kind of the 20th century, while the National Review ranked it #15 on its list of the 100 best non-fiction books of the century and the Intercollegiate Studies Institute listed it among the 50 best non-fiction books of the century.

Similarly, you piece together arguments with the same lack of knowledge or input. Why did I make long posts with lots of numbers? To outwork you. I put in the work to comprehensively describe why the numbers are insane, you put in no work to dismiss them. The burden of proof is not on me, as I have FAR surpassed that. It is on you. Want to prove that I am wrong about a 10,816,344,000 cubic feet wall of concrete costing $80B? You'll have to do better than an uncited quote with no figures.

The fact that you could not comprehend my arguments is not proof against them, it is proof against you. I don't think it is very hard to understand that:

* In 2006 the Secure Fence Act created 670 miles of single layer fencing for $2.4B
    * In 2007, after 140 miles of fencing had been built, the Department of Homeland Security installed and maintained 512 miles of fencing for $5.9B
    * These two figures account are for cheap, single layer fencing
    * A concrete wall would cost between $2.67B and $80.1B in materials alone, far more than the cost of fencing

That should not be too many figures for any reasonable adult to keep track of. If you can't handle it, well again that is on you. Nor should the key point I've repeatedly stated be too complex: "A wall is unnecessary and more expensive than drones + personnel." Even those that think immigration is an unchecked menace should be aware that there are better solutions.

And if we want to talk about bad numbers, I'll admit I've been using some bad ones. For one, I've used the price of concrete at $93/cubic yard (and before, I messed up my units and put it at 93/cubic foot). But in reality, we aren't just using concrete. This isn't a concrete deck or slab, it is a wall. We need structural concrete, much more expensive. Here is a cost breakdown of the WSDOT Highway in Washington for an estimate of $725/cubic yard. I'd do more algebra but I fear that would scare you off for good. If you want, you can run the numbers for a 10,816,344,000 cubic foot (50ft) wall or a 360544800 cubic feet (25ft) wall.

And those are just a portion of the materials costs. This doesn't account for the 3% weight of steel added to the wall, or non-materials costs which are typically two to three times the material costs and might be even higher for the wall. Again, apparently math scares you off so I won't go through the process of confusing you any more with new numbers, but you can do the math yourself.

50ft wall:

10,816,344,000 cubic feet * (1 cubic yard/27 cubic feet) * $752/cubic yard structural concrete = cost of structural concrete

10,816,344,000 cubic feet*150 lbs/cubic foot*.03 (weight steel/weight concrete)*$1/lb steel = cost of steel

(cost of steel + cost of concrete) * 2 = non-materials costs

25ft wall:

360544800 cubic feet * (1 cubic yard/27 cubic feet) * $752/cubic yard structural concrete = cost of structural concrete

360544800 cubic feet*150 lbs/cubic foot*.03 (weight steel/weight concrete)*$1/lb steel = cost of steel

total = cost of steel + cost of concrete + non-materials costs

And if you want to play around with the math even more, replace the cubic feet with whatever volume you want:

5280 feet/mile * Miles of Wall * (Height + Depth underground) * Width.

So, comparisons:

* Border = $cost/mile (cost to fence 1299 miles)(cost to fence 1951 miles)
    * Fencing (Secure Fence Act) = $3.5M/mile ($4.55B)($6.83B)
    * Fencing (revised Homeland Security estimate (low end)) = $9M/mile ($11.7B)($17.6B)
    * Fencing (revised Homeland Security estimate (high end)) = $11.5M/mile ($14.9B)($22.4B)
    * 25' height + 10' underground, 1' width concrete wall = $17.9M/mile ($23.3B)($34.9B)
    * 35' height + 15' underground, 2' width concrete wall = $51.2M / mile ($66.5B)($129B)
    * 50' height + 15' underground, 2' width concrete wall = $66.6M/mile ($86.5B)($169B)
    * 50' height + 15' underground, 10' width concrete wall = $333M/mile ($433B)($650B)

If you have a problem with those numbers, prove them wrong by either:

* Showing that the price of structural concrete would be lower than $752/cubic yard
    * Showing that the weight of steel would be less than 3% of the weight of concrete
    * Showing that the cost of steel would be less than $1/lb
    * Showing that the non-materials costs would be less than twice the materials costs
    * Showing that the height/width/thickness would be different than described
    * Showing that the math is incorrect
    * Showing that less miles would need to be walled off (1951 for full border, 1299 for that not covered by current fencing)

You can't simply say "he's using too many different numbers!" again, because that argument only speaks to your inability, not the work itself. It is just simple math at this point to show the wall is tremendously more expensive than the Congressional estimates.
    Last edited by CBB_Fan; January 28, 2017, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
      On the topic of the wall; I am neither for it or against it. I am for a strong national defense and securing our borders. There are potentially three arguments against the wall:

1. We should have free and open borders. A wall is not necessary.
      2. A wall will not stop illegals immigration, therefore it is a waste of money.
      3. It's too expensive. It's cost vs benefit ratio is not supported.

@CBB_Fan, in a simple 1, 2, 3 fashion, which of the listed oppositions do you support?
      2 and 3.

I do not think a wall is suited to stopping today's illegal immigration problem, which is largely focused on legal entries and illegal stays. This should be solved with better tracking and more money/authority to Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

I do not think a wall is the most cost effective way of stopping illegal immigration across our southern border, as a better solution is a smart wall consisting of fencing around urban areas + drones and intercept vehicles to cover more remote sections of the border.

Comment

• CBB: 1. the wall would be more expensive than anticipated; 2. the wall wouldn't work to stop illegal immigration; 3. illegal immigration probably doesn't have the type of economic toll you think

everyone else: you don't know anything about concrete. it's really pretty cheap

CBB: 1. seriously, it's probably going to be a lot more expensive than you say; 2. still wouldn't solve anything; 3. illegal immigration might not be as bad as you say

everyone else: trust me... concrete is mostly just cheap

Comment

• I think it would take less time to write a research paper on the subject than read CBBs posts.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
            Alright, time for a real rant.

Hannah Arendt wasn't an obscure seventeenth century author. She was a German-born Jewish American political theorist. She escaped Europe during the Holocaust, and during WWII worked for Youth Aliyah, a Zionist organization, which saved thousands of children from the Holocaust. Your lack of knowledge is not proof of her obscurity, nor is it proof of anything but itself. Her work on totalitarianism is considered seminal, and the book I quoted from has been called one of the best non-fiction books of the century. Le Monde placed the book among the 100 best books of any kind of the 20th century, while the National Review ranked it #15 on its list of the 100 best non-fiction books of the century and the Intercollegiate Studies Institute listed it among the 50 best non-fiction books of the century.

Similarly, you piece together arguments with the same lack of knowledge or input. Why did I make long posts with lots of numbers? To outwork you. I put in the work to comprehensively describe why the numbers are insane, you put in no work to dismiss them. The burden of proof is not on me, as I have FAR surpassed that. It is on you. Want to prove that I am wrong about a 10,816,344,000 cubic feet wall of concrete costing $80B? You'll have to do better than an uncited quote with no figures.

The fact that you could not comprehend my arguments is not proof against them, it is proof against you. I don't think it is very hard to understand that:

* In 2006 the Secure Fence Act created 670 miles of single layer fencing for $2.4B
            * In 2007, after 140 miles of fencing had been built, the Department of Homeland Security installed and maintained 512 miles of fencing for $5.9B
            * These two figures account are for cheap, single layer fencing
            * A concrete wall would cost between $2.67B and $80.1B in materials alone, far more than the cost of fencing

That should not be too many figures for any reasonable adult to keep track of. If you can't handle it, well again that is on you. Nor should the key point I've repeatedly stated be too complex: "A wall is unnecessary and more expensive than drones + personnel." Even those that think immigration is an unchecked menace should be aware that there are better solutions.

And if we want to talk about bad numbers, I'll admit I've been using some bad ones. For one, I've used the price of concrete at $93/cubic yard (and before, I messed up my units and put it at 93/cubic foot). But in reality, we aren't just using concrete. This isn't a concrete deck or slab, it is a wall. We need structural concrete, much more expensive. Here is a cost breakdown of the WSDOT Highway in Washington for an estimate of $725/cubic yard. I'd do more algebra but I fear that would scare you off for good. If you want, you can run the numbers for a 10,816,344,000 cubic foot (50ft) wall or a 360544800 cubic feet (25ft) wall.

And those are just a portion of the materials costs. This doesn't account for the 3% weight of steel added to the wall, or non-materials costs which are typically two to three times the material costs and might be even higher for the wall. Again, apparently math scares you off so I won't go through the process of confusing you any more with new numbers, but you can do the math yourself.

50ft wall:

10,816,344,000 cubic feet * (1 cubic yard/27 cubic feet) * $752/cubic yard structural concrete = cost of structural concrete

10,816,344,000 cubic feet*150 lbs/cubic foot*.03 (weight steel/weight concrete)*$1/lb steel = cost of steel

25ft wall:

360544800 cubic feet * (1 cubic yard/27 cubic feet) * $752/cubic yard structural concrete = cost of structural concrete

360544800 cubic feet*150 lbs/cubic foot*.03 (weight steel/weight concrete)*$1/lb steel = cost of steel

total = cost of steel + cost of concrete + non-materials costs

And if you want to play around with the math even more, replace the cubic feet with whatever volume you want:

5280 feet/mile * Miles of Wall * (Height + Depth underground) * Width.

So, comparisons:

* Border = $cost/mile (cost to fence 1299 miles)(cost to fence 1951 miles)
            * Fencing (Secure Fence Act) = $3.5M/mile ($4.55B)($6.83B)
            * Fencing (revised Homeland Security estimate (low end)) = $9M/mile ($11.7B)($17.6B)
            * Fencing (revised Homeland Security estimate (high end)) = $11.5M/mile ($14.9B)($22.4B)
            * 25' height + 10' underground, 1' width concrete wall = $17.9M/mile ($23.3B)($34.9B)
            * 35' height + 15' underground, 2' width concrete wall = $51.2M / mile ($66.5B)($129B)
            * 50' height + 15' underground, 2' width concrete wall = $66.6M/mile ($86.5B)($169B)
            * 50' height + 15' underground, 10' width concrete wall = $333M/mile ($433B)($650B)

* Showing that the price of structural concrete would be lower than $752/cubic yard
            * Showing that the weight of steel would be less than 3% of the weight of concrete
            * Showing that the cost of steel would be less than $1/lb
            * Showing that the non-materials costs would be less than twice the materials costs
            * Showing that the height/width/thickness would be different than described
            * Showing that the math is incorrect
            * Showing that less miles would need to be walled off (1951 for full border, 1299 for that not covered by current fencing)

You can't simply say "he's using too many different numbers!" again, because that argument only speaks to your inability, not the work itself. It is just simple math at this point to show the wall is tremendously more expensive than the Congressional estimates.
            Dear lord...

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
              Dear lord...
              Guess seeing even one more number broke you. Too bad, I was afraid this might happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Did you take into account for:

a. Trump using his AARP discount?
                b. Did you consider the discount for buying in bulk?
                c. What would be the cost if Trump chose to follow the Israeli model?
                d. What if we hired Mexican concrete companies for cement

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                  Did you take into account for:

a. Trump using his AARP discount?
                  b. Did you consider the discount for buying in bulk?
                  c. What would be the cost if Trump chose to follow the Israeli model?
                  d. What if we hired Mexican concrete companies for cement
                  a. While Trump is old enough to be a member I'm fairly certain (with his wealth and lack of retirement) he hasn't considered AARP membership to lower the costs
                  b. I don't think there is any bulk discount on Great Walls, however we might be able to get a 2 for 1 deal and put one on the north border as well
                  c. The Israeli wall is 90% fencing and 10% concrete wall at 26 feet. In Israel, this costs $7.9M/mile ($15B for 1951 miles). In America the costs project to $3.6B ($18.4M/mile) for the wall portion and and $15.8B ($9M/mile) for the fence portion.
                  d. Cemex is the primary concrete manufacturer, and at the current rates (200 pesos/1m^3 of cement, 300 per ton sand, 400 per ton gravel) buying from them translates to $24.6B for the smallest wall ($34.9 buying at American rates). However Cemex does not trade to America at the Mexican rate.

Comment

• I don't even like gated communities; why would I want to live in a walled country?

Comment

• I'm getting the feeling Trump wants to put significant tariffs on imports from Mexico and China. That would seem to create inflation. Consumers would have to pay for the tariffs. Many consumers are unwilling to pay the price of American manufacturing. Many are unable to pay for American manufacturing wages, unless American manufacturing wages are reduced to global levels.

Tariffs and import limits may produce a little bump in American jobs. It doesn't appear to be a sustainable increase in American jobs and seems to price some Americans out of consumption of anything other than survival. Tariffs or import limitations also pose the possibility of reciprocal tariffs and import limitations, which would reduce exports of American products. That could damage the agriculture segment of the American economy, which is heavily dependent on exports.
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuchalk View Post
                        I don't even like gated communities; why would I want to live in a walled country?
                        So Matt Damon could save us from horde of monstrous creatures!:pig:

Comment

• If we're going Idiocracy, lets go full Idiocracy and make the wall out of trash.

Btw, I love seeing those who push a $15/hr minimum wage now concerned that a 20% tariff would negatively effect cost/price structure.
                          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                          -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                            If we're going Idiocracy, lets go full Idiocracy and make the wall out of trash.

Btw, I love seeing those who push a $15/hr minimum wage now concerned that a 20% tariff would negatively effect cost/price structure.
                            Obviously both affect cost/price structures.

Let's say it takes 2 people to process your order at McDonald's and their wages go from $8/hr. to $15/hr, a difference of $7/hr. If they process 100 orders in an hour, that would be $.14 per order to make up the $14/hr difference. Your $5 Value meal just bumped in price to $5.14. Probably closer to $5.20 since profits would be taken on the increased costs. That's a 4% increase. That extra $.20 you pay gets 2 people off of government assistance.

Compare that to buying a computer. The computer has something like a $400 cost for imported components (all of them) and you currently pay $500 for it. The 20% tariff adds $80. Now your computer costs $600. ($400 x 1.25 = $500. $480 x 1.25 = $600). That's a 20% increase in your cost.

Of the additional $100 you pay, $20 is profit and the other $80 goes - where? To the U.S. Treasury. That means you just paid $80 in, essentially, taxes in order to buy your computer. And another $20 in profit to the marketer.

Even with the tariff, it will still be cheaper to manufacture the computer, smart phone, television, etc. overseas, unless US wages are decreased to near the levels of the current countries of origin (mostly China). Factory workers in China average around 55,000 yuan/year, which is the equivalent of $8,300.

Trump is moving his production out of China and into Ethiopia because Chinese labor costs have more than doubled in the last 10 years. Ethiopia is much cheaper.
                            Last edited by Aargh; January 29, 2017, 09:30 AM.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• The immigration problem isn't as difficult as we make it.

The large majority of people want the broken immigration system fixed or greatly improved. A large segment of that group feels like it is a non-starter to fix a system that has no controls over its borders and that the first step for a fix is to establish those controls. Thus, most of those people feel that improving the wall is a first step. Along with the improved wall is more border agents/personnel, e-verify, and other means if technology. Following fixing our borders, a means to solving the status of illegals, temporary green cards, etc. can follow. Until we solve the border problem, there will be no political solution to fix our broken immigration system. Let's get started. All this ancillary krap like tariffs is a waste of time to solve the actual problem.

Comment

• Seems like a good place to start.

Comment

Working...
                                X