Let's Privatize the War on Drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Privatize the War on Drugs

In 40 years, the War on Drugs doesn't have a good track record.

I don't know if this is the way to go, but it's something to think about. The USA is pretty good at Capitalism, but we're lousy with a War on Drugs. The War on Drugs has resulted in the Mexican cartels, the South American cartels, street gangs, and lots of criminal activity. We've created a lot of criminal activity and misery in countries south of our borders.

How about if we privatize the War on Drugs. Set up a class of corporations that can legally sell drugs and can distribute their earnings to stockholders. Those corporation could operate more efficiently than the cartels and wouldn't need to hire street gangs to distribute their products.

Then, instead of putting their customers in jail, we educate the users, monitor their usage levels, and offer them rehab.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    In 40 years, the War on Drugs doesn't have a good track record.

I don't know if this is the way to go, but it's something to think about. The USA is pretty good at Capitalism, but we're lousy with a War on Drugs. The War on Drugs has resulted in the Mexican cartels, the South American cartels, street gangs, and lots of criminal activity. We've created a lot of criminal activity and misery in countries south of our borders.

How about if we privatize the War on Drugs. Set up a class of corporations that can legally sell drugs and can distribute their earnings to stockholders. Those corporation could operate more efficiently than the cartels and wouldn't need to hire street gangs to distribute their products.

Then, instead of putting their customers in jail, we educate the users, monitor their usage levels, and offer them rehab.
    Conceptually, I'm in favor of this. I have heard very mixed things about the legalization of marijuana in some states, but haven't done the research to educate myself. It could be an economic boom and taxation cash cow.
    Livin the dream

Comment

I'm with Aargh. The War on Drugs is a complete failure in so many ways. Here is what Portugal has successfully done.

Pop quiz: Which European country has the most liberal drug laws? (Hint: It's not the Netherlands.)Although its capital is notorious among stoners and college kids...
      In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
        I'm with Aargh. The War on Drugs is a complete failure in so many ways. Here is what Portugal has successfully done.

http://content.time.com/time/health/...893946,00.html
        The war on drugs is indeed a colossal failure. Portugal has implemented decriminalization, not legalization. The Libertarians have been pressing for nearly that exact model for at least 25 years. Interesting.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

There are no easy answers for sure. Some of the report is intriguing. Portugal is a small country and it would be massively unwise to cherry pick the positives from the report and apply them across the board to the US.

We have many problems they do not have. Drugs still are not "legal" in Portugal. They will take the drugs and you may lose your government freebies. You may have to do public work instead of jail.

I wouldn't be against these. If we're going down this path, and you'll never convince me it's good for the country but many of you just want to get high so, if we're going down this path there better be NO government assistance ever again if you're on dope, caught and refuse treatment. You want to get ****ed up? You do it on your own dime.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
            Conceptually, I'm in favor of this. I have heard very mixed things about the legalization of marijuana in some states, but haven't done the research to educate myself. It could be an economic boom and taxation cash cow.
            In Colorado in July, a total of $95 million of medicinal and recreational marijuana and the total tax rate (sales, marijuana tax and special tax) is 27%. That is ONE MONTH.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
              In Colorado in July, a total of $95 million of medicinal and recreational marijuana and the total tax rate (sales, marijuana tax and special tax) is 27%. That is ONE MONTH.
              I abhor the legalize it and tax it mentality. I oppose the lottery, as that tax is simply playing off the greed of the less fortunate. I also cannot stand the mentality that we should legalize pot and generate revenue.

Gambling should be legal because adults should be able to throw away their money any way they see fit. If you don't think that pot is that harmful or dangerous, you should want it legalized because adults should be allowed to get ducked up if they want.

The legalize it and tax it mentality should never be a part of the justification.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                I abhor the legalize it and tax it mentality. I oppose the lottery, as that tax is simply playing off the greed of the less fortunate. I also cannot stand the mentality that we should legalize pot and generate revenue.

Gambling should be legal because adults should be able to throw away their money any way they see fit. If you don't think that pot is that harmful or dangerous, you should want it legalized because adults should be allowed to get ducked up if they want.

The legalize it and tax it mentality should never be a part of the justification.
                Why not? I don't think it's harmful. I don't smoke it. I'm okay with it being legalized and taxed. I'm okay with decriminalization.
                Livin the dream

Comment

I agree with MoValley John about the lottery. My support for Aargh's plan is to stop all the problems he mentioned, plus others. For me, Its not about getting tax money.
                  In the fast lane

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                    I agree with MoValley John about the lottery. My support for Aargh's plan is to stop all the problems he mentioned, plus others. For me, Its not about getting tax money.
                    Legalize it because short of harming others, people should be allowed to do as they will.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Looking at MoValley John's statement a little closer about the lottery maybe my thoughts are different. I consider the lottery a tax break for the more fortunate.
                      In the fast lane

Comment

I agree with you on the lottery to a degree, but why would taxing it not be part of the justification? The financial ramifications of the War on Drugs are very obvious and important for the country. Our jail system is a significant financial drain on the economic output of the United States, and replacing the financial drain of supporting imprisoned drug offenders (not to mention the lack of financial contribution to US GDP from those same people working) with tax revenue is clearly a major plus for the country economically. Even if the issue wasn't tax revenue, I'm all for the legalization of at least some drugs for the other economic boons they represent.

I don't particularly care whether marijuana is harmful or dangerous -- cigarettes are harmful and dangerous, but I'm still for it being legal and a source of tax revenue. People should be free to harm themselves if they so desire. And if the US or states wish to tax it, they have that right, and people who oppose those taxes have the right to organize and combat those taxes politically.
                        Originally posted by BleacherReport
                        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                          I agree with you on the lottery to a degree, but why would taxing it not be part of the justification? The financial ramifications of the War on Drugs are very obvious and important for the country. Our jail system is a significant financial drain on the economic output of the United States, and replacing the financial drain of supporting imprisoned drug offenders (not to mention the lack of financial contribution to US GDP from those same people working) with tax revenue is clearly a major plus for the country economically. Even if the issue wasn't tax revenue, I'm all for the legalization of at least some drugs for the other economic boons they represent.

I don't particularly care whether marijuana is harmful or dangerous -- cigarettes are harmful and dangerous, but I'm still for it being legal and a source of tax revenue. People should be free to harm themselves if they so desire. And if the US or states wish to tax it, they have that right, and people who oppose those taxes have the right to organize and combat those taxes politically.
                          Taxation is an obvious byproduct of legalization. That said, taxation shouldn't be part of the debate. When government makes decisions on tobacco, gambling, drugs, prostitution etc. and taxation is a motivator, one way or the other, government often is no longer acting in the interests of the citizens.

I have a sister that is an actuary. She was hired by the state of Minnesota to figure out how to maximize cigarette tax revenue. She, along with other actuaries and statisticians were given the job of figuring out just how much of a tax increase the state could impement WITHOUT causing too many people to quit smoking and cause an actual loss of revenue.

The tax hike was packaged, sold and passed as a sin tax which would make people quit, when in fact, it was put together solely as a way to increase revenue. Nobody wanted anyone to quit, they just wanted more money off of the backs of people addicted to tobacco.

Comment

Taxation is an obvious byproduct of legalization. That said, taxation shouldn't be part of the debate. When government makes decisions on tobacco, gambling, drugs, prostitution etc. and taxation is a motivator, one way or the other, government often is no longer acting in the interests of the citizens.

I have a sister that is an actuary. She was hired by the state of Minnesota to figure out how to maximize cigarette tax revenue. She, along with other actuaries and statisticians were given the job of figuring out just how much of a tax increase the state could impement WITHOUT causing too many people to quit smoking and cause an actual loss of revenue.

The tax hike was packaged, sold and passed as a sin tax which would make people quit, when in fact, it was put together solely as a way to increase revenue. Nobody wanted anyone to quit, they just wanted more money off of the backs of people addicted to tobacco.
                            Sure, but that type of thinking would NEVER happen if we taxed other drugs. These are good taxes with honest and fair applications thereof.

Comment

So far, since my kid doesn't smoke marijuana, I'm all for legalizing any and all substances. Smoke gasoline if you can figure out how. I figure that'll give my kid less competition in life as he moves forward. Now if he changes it up and starts smoking, sniffing, snorting, popping or injecting stuff; then I will change my vote to ban everything in sight, including spray paint and rubbing alcohol.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                              X