Rockefeller Trust Will Divest Itself of Oil Investments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockefeller Trust Will Divest Itself of Oil Investments

The family joins a growing movement of charities, pension funds, universities and other entities that have moved money out of fossil-fuel investments.

The Rockefeller family, which harnessed the oil industry to amass one of the greatest fortunes in American history, is getting out of oil.

The heirs of John D. Rockefeller, who founded Standard Oil in 1870 and became the wealthiest man in the United States, plan to announce Monday that their charitable trust will sell its investments in fossil fuels.

The announcement came a day ahead of a United Nations summit on climate change, and as world scientists reported that countries are spewing a record amount of carbon pollution into the air.

There are a lot of idiots in that takeaway.

Comment

Three thoughts:

1) How come nobody on the left has been attacking the filthy rich Rockefeller oil barons for being knee-deep in oil all this time?, and

2) "spewing", and

3) I hope the filthy rich leftists keeps selling their oil shares for "cleaner" energy.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I do feel like anytime a mega rich person "gets out of something" that was making them mega rich, there is probably a really good reason.

And I doubt it is just that they care SO much about clean energy all the sudden.

To me, in business, it's a sign that something better is coming. You get out before you start losing. Meanwhile, you also get some media coverage about how you care and wanted to invest in something cleaner. In other words, if your family was in oil for 150 years and then you want to get out of it, that tells me they feel like oil isn't where the money is anymore and that could be kind of exciting. But what do I know. I like speculating

Comment

Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
          I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I do feel like anytime a mega rich person "gets out of something" that was making them mega rich, there is probably a really good reason.

And I doubt it is just that they care SO much about clean energy all the sudden.

To me, in business, it's a sign that something better is coming. You get out before you start losing. Meanwhile, you also get some media coverage about how you care and wanted to invest in something cleaner. In other words, if your family was in oil for 150 years and then you want to get out of it, that tells me they feel like oil isn't where the money is anymore and that could be kind of exciting. But what do I know. I like speculating
          These are trust fund babies. Oil is nice and high right now. The simple answer is they want to lock in the profits and convert to cash -- not because there is some better energy alternative. They probably need another jet, want to convert to gold before the economy tanks again, purchase some companies, and then buy oil once that sucker drops again.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Eh, it's for their charitable trust and not personal use, so it is likely a combination of (1) a strategic shift in their investment management plan; and (2) a nice PR move.

Regardless of what your opinion may be of their stock price, Tesla has accomplished in a half dozen years things the major auto manufacturers said were decades away from being practicable. Oil isn't going away anytime soon, but it's not silly to think its price may continue to drop or stagnate.

Comment

It's not silly at all to think the price of oil will come down, but it is RARELY a good idea to sell production.

Comment

Just depends on what the price is. Mineral rights in 1980 priced in continued parabolic gains, and buyers lost their shorts for the next couple decades. Sellers in 1999 felt similarly dumb I am sure.

If the projected ROI reflected in the sales price is well above what you think it will be going forward, ya might as well dump it.

Comment

Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                  Eh, it's for their charitable trust and not personal use, so it is likely a combination of (1) a strategic shift in their investment management plan; and (2) a nice PR move.

Regardless of what your opinion may be of their stock price, Tesla has accomplished in a half dozen years things the major auto manufacturers said were decades away from being practicable. Oil isn't going away anytime soon, but it's not silly to think its price may continue to drop or stagnate.
                  This is kind of what I am thinking. I just don't see getting out of something that big as something you would do unless you were pretty well aware it was as peaked today as it is going to be moving forward. Meanwhile, you look like a pioneer of clean energy as a result. I'm not even criticizing. It's a solid move. I just also wonder what is on the horizon

Comment

My take. BFD. There is no time line given and none demanded. A big non-event.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Maybe with all the global warming they're afraid it might spontaneously combust.
                      For some the glass is half full and for others half empty. My glass is out of ice.
                      - said no one ever...

Comment

Originally posted by shoxilla View Post
                        Maybe with all the global warming they're afraid it might spontaneously combust.
                        Yeah, definitely if all that Artic ice starts melting, releasing all that trapped methane gas.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                          Yeah, definitely if all that Artic ice starts melting, releasing all that trapped methane gas.
                          Interesting read. http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/climate...43565?mobile=y
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                            He articulates my basic stance much better than I could. Science does not currently answer the question of how what we do impacts the climate, yet we make major policy decisions as if it does.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              He articulates my basic stance much better than I could. Science does not currently answer the question of how what we do impacts the climate, yet we make major policy decisions as if it does.
                              It makes you wonder why he didn't stick around for Obama's second term.

Comment

Working...
                              X