White House Release Afghanistan CIA Chief Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House Release Afghanistan CIA Chief Name

The White House accidentally revealed the name of the CIA’s top intelligence official in Afghanistan to some 6,000 journalists.

The CIA’s top officer in Kabul was exposed Saturday by the White House when his name was inadvertently included on a list provided to news organizations of senior U.S. officials participating in President Obama’s surprise visit with U.S. troops.

The White House recognized the mistake and quickly issued a revised list that did not include the individual, who had been identified on the initial release as the “Chief of Station” in Kabul, a designation used by the CIA for its highest-ranking spy in a country.
    The white house only found about it after CNN contacted them if they really wanted to list the CIA station chief.

You forgot to add that it was the military that provided the list in the first place.

"A White House official then asked the military for a list to provide to the pool of journalists. The official got an e-mail back from the military with a subject line, "manifest for briefing for Pool," Wilson told CNN. That e-mail was forwarded to Wilson and he proceeded to copy and paste that list for the pool report. He then sent it to the White House official, who sent the report to the distribution list."

I'm not an apologist for this administration or any other for that matter. I just happen to like facts and not the spin some in the media business hew to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
      You forgot to add that it was the military that provided the list in the first place.

"A White House official then asked the military for a list to provide to the pool of journalists. The official got an e-mail back from the military with a subject line, "manifest for briefing for Pool," Wilson told CNN. That e-mail was forwarded to Wilson and he proceeded to copy and paste that list for the pool report. He then sent it to the White House official, who sent the report to the distribution list."

I'm not an apologist for this administration or any other for that matter. I just happen to like facts and not the spin some in the media business hew to.
      Well, copy+paste a list of the manifest for the briefing pool to media without doing a look-over of what you're giving is probably not SOP. Sounds like the Whitehouse laying blame elsewhere to save their ass. I'd imagine that the soldier who gave the manifest was just complying with orders received from the Whitehouse.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Why is it relevant who gave them the information? Or are you implying the Military was setting up the White House for failure or were trying to out the Station Chief on purpose?

Comment

What are you implying by sharing the story? What's your point? It's relevant because it was the military office that supplied the information to the White House and protocol exists to not include the Chief of Station's identity in these cases. So if you are trying to point fingers, point at the White House AND military.

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
            Well, copy+paste a list of the manifest for the briefing pool to media without doing a look-over of what you're giving is probably not SOP. Sounds like the Whitehouse laying blame elsewhere to save their ass. I'd imagine that the soldier who gave the manifest was just complying with orders received from the Whitehouse.
            Perhaps you should talk and comment on something for which you have first hand experience.

Comment

Perhaps you should talk and comment on something for which you have first hand experience.
              Even though I risk ruining my stellar reputation, I will personally guarantee that @_kai_: has oodles of experience using copy + paste.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

If that was a rule on Shockernet, we'd just have Jamar and You.
                ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

What are you implying by sharing the story? What's your point?
                  It was a lead story on CNN, and has significance in the U.S. National security.

It's relevant because it was the military office that supplied the information to the White House and protocol exists to not include the Chief of Station's identity in these cases. So if you are trying to point fingers, point at the White House AND military.
                  I only posted what news media posted, I made no editorial comments -- so whatever makes you so butt-hurt about the story is compelling. 2nd it is also interesting though, the initial story by CNN had did not have the "given by the military" - do you think the White House is deflecting and trying to blame somebody else?

Do you think somebody should be held accountable?

Comment

tsk-tsk

“Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Whoa. A two star general was killed in Afghanistan today by an Afghan soldier. More here.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                      X