Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Personal Editoral Against Gun Control (by my wife)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Personal Editoral Against Gun Control (by my wife)

This is what my wife has to say about gun control (So it had better be mine as well).

My Personal Editorial Against Gun Control.
    By June

Let me state clearly here that I am neither pro-gun, pro-drug, nor pro-alcohol. I am just a realist of whom there is currently a short supply.

In the 1920s America had a grand experiment in banning the sale of alcohol. Everyone knows that this experiment was a disaster. Prohibition movements in the West coincided with the advent of women's suffrage, with newly empowered women as part of the political process strongly supporting policies that curbed alcohol consumption. It is a certainly that women were essentially responsible for this morality legislation.

The laws did not do away with drinking as these voters had expected. Instead, drinking was easy and much cheaper than before because it was not taxed. It also spawned illegal organizations who profited greatly from crime. It put the American distilleries out of business and the distilleries in Mexico and Canada flourished. So we killed American business in one of our early outsourcing experiments. It also cost the government an enormous amount of money to try to enforce the law. We also had a lot of people in prison which we had to pay taxes to keep. So it was very costly to the American public in terms of government expenses, loss of tax revenue, loss of American business and jobs, and the fostering of illegal organizations. The final result was the repeal of Prohibition and a damaged economy.

None of this is new to us. It may come as a surprise to you that the current drug problem came about in the same way. Prior to the laws enacted in the early 20th century, our currently illegal drugs, like cocaine, and heroin, were perfectly legal and could have been purchased at the corner drug store. Indeed, the original Coca-Cola formula included cocaine. However, (see above reasoning), the voters were highly moralistic about this and tried another grand experiment. They did not actually make drugs illegal, they made them illegal without the proper tax stamps and stopped issuing the stamps. So that all the people in jail today on drug crimes are actually there for avoiding taxes. I have no idea what part of our government budget goes try to control the drug trade today. The current enormous problem with drug gangs mirrors our previous problems with alcohol gangs.

We still have not learned that we cannot legislate morality. People who want to drink will do so. People who want to use drugs will do so. The American public is pretty much like a teenager. Tell them that they can't do something and it takes about 30 seconds out the door before they do it. The best solution is to regulate it and to tax it to death as we are doing with cigarettes.

So what about our current emotional attitude to gun control laws? If we can't control the drug trade or the alcohol trade, what on earth makes us think we can control guns? There is a wide spread saying which contains a world of truth. If we outlaw guns, only outlaws will own guns. I can see a horde of gunrunners and armament companies outside our shores who can just hardly wait for us to have another idiot grand experiment and make them rich.
Working...
X