Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kansas Buhler Town Under Attack - forced to remove cross from their sign.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas Buhler Town Under Attack - forced to remove cross from their sign.

buhler-016.jpg

The tiny town of Buhler is being forced to remove a religious cross from its town seal after a group called the Freedom From Religion Foundation complained that the symbol violates the Establishment Clause of the U.S. Constitution. The group said the cross indicated government endorsement of Christianity.
    The group also threatened to sue unless a large billboard featuring the cross was removed from a city park.

It can only be awhile before a Jewish organization is now threatening to sue unless Buhler removes "Buhler" from all it signs since it is offensive to all Jews because it could be interpreted that they are endorsing the holocaust and Josef Buhler, who was a NAZI executed for war crimes.

The National Council of Teachers of English are threatening to sue unless the reference to "Math" is removed or an equivalent symbol is added to their signage for English Literature.

The Cattlemen's Association association has announced they are offended that cattle was not used on their logo since ranching is important for the community and they will ask that the "wheat" be removed or add the appropriate ranching symbol.

KU and K-State has also informed the city council of Buhler that they would like Jayhawk and the power cat either be added to the sign or the "wheat" removed since this could be construed as endorsing a state university.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

The Freedom From Religion group can eat **** and die.They're a bunch of blowhards that try to scare others into doing what they want. Sadly, few stand up to those dumbasses and they continue to "win".
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        The Freedom From Religion group can eat **** and die.They're a bunch of blowhards that try to scare others into doing what they want. Sadly, few stand up to those dumbasses and they continue to "win".
        To be fair to Buhler, they wanted to stand up and they sought a legal opinions to see about fighting it and they were told basically the 10th circuit court going to rule against them regardless of the merits of the case. The city of buhler has the posted the information on the website.

In addition, the Tenth Circuit’s relatively recent (and in our view, erroneous) decision in Am. Atheists, Inc. v.
        Duncan, 637 F.3d 1095 (10th Cir. 2010), prohibiting the use of memorial crosses on public land to honor fallen
        Utah state troopers, further cements the court’s misguided Establishment Clause jurisprudence concerning the
        use of Latin crosses on public property and in official seals.
        The real issue seems to be that there are some judges who need to be held accountable and impeached and until that happens then these type of decisions are going to roll along.

Comment

Maybe they can see if any private property owners wish to take the sign off their hands and if they display it, so what.

Comment

I wondered if this might get discussed here. From what I've been told, since I wasn't able to attend the meetings, is that at least two replica signs are now going to go up on private property. The sign pictured above is actually the old sign, which was designed in 1988 and is also part of the city logo (we don't actually have a "seal"). This past summer the sign was redone (see the picture below) and is likely what prompted the complaint. The first time I saw the redone sign I told my wife someone would have a problem with it. I didn't think it be so swift like this, though. I agree with the council's actions due to legal precedent. We simply can not afford to defend a lawsuit we're likely to lose, and could be ordered to pay the plaintiff's legal expenses. I don't agree with the legal precedent, but it is what it is until it isn't.

I've heard some people may put smaller versions or just crosses up as yard signs. Whoever complained about it is going to reap the law of unintended consequences.

Comment

The same group - FFRF - is now going after the McPherson police department's chaplain program on behalf of a McPherson resident who is also a member of FFRF.

Comment

And in regard to the Buhler sign issue, Mike Pompeo took to the house floor to speak on it. I'm impressed and appreciative considering he's not our representative. It's also a sign that he gets it. Just because it's not happening in your yard doesn't mean it won't affect you.

Comment

Working...
                X