And so it begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And so it begins

Watch CBS News live and get the latest, breaking news headlines of the day for national news and world news today.

More of this type of news is beginning to trickle in.

I'm only getting a photo of El Cortez. Am I missing something ?

Comment

You realize that like 80+% of this board votes Republican, right? I don't understand your posting strategy. You rant hyperbolic stuff constantly about looming $100 bread loaves, birther conspiracies, anarchy and civil war. It is annoying and sounds shrill and, frankly, nuts half the time.

I am afraid you would have attempted seppuku at least 20 times had you lived through a truly radical leftward shift like the country saw during FDR's reign. Top marginal tax rates north of 90% under Eisenhower would have clogged your bowels for multiple congressional terms. Truman seizing privately owned steel plants during the 1950s to avoid strikes, and so on and so forth.

Most of us here believe in conservative principles and don't need convincing. And even if we did need convincing, your method is probably the least effective one I can imagine. Nothing is positive nor are new or interesting ideas bantered about- it is always OMG THINGS ARE GOING DOWN THE TOILETTTT YOU GUYS I TOLD YOU SO WHAT HAVE YOU DONE I CANT STAND IT YOU REAP WHAT YOU SEW ENJOY THIS P.O.S. COUNTRY.

Dude, I voted for the same guy as you, and so did most of this board. Please start adding something new.

Comment

Here's something new for the mid terms:
        1. Get away from social issues and immigration as part of a political agenda or at least move to the center. Abortion will never be illegal in our lifetime (and I am pro life) so get over it.
        2. Quit nominating idiots like Todd Aiken in the primaries. Seems like the only people to show up to vote in the primaries are the ones concerned with social issues.
        3. Preach fiscal conservatism and a strong defense.
        4. Quit pandering to your constituents and seriously fight earmarks that are frivolous. Put out press releases. tweets. direct mailers to everyone when you oppose an earmark proposed by a Democrat.
        5. Start looking at new ways to generate revenue for this country. If that means legalizing wacky tobacky, then so be it.

I am becoming more and more Libertarian every day.

Also, to EMCFizzle and RJL, I apologize for personally blasting you yesterday and welcome you into Shocker Nation. I was just trying to have a serious discourse and didn't feel like you were playing nice. Missed my dose of Prozac yesterday.

Comment

Abortion is an interesting issue. Since half of the babies/fetuses that are terminated are female, I just cannot see how it is a women's issue, though.

Comment

Elections have consequences....enjoy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
              http://lasvegas.cbslocal.com/2012/11...22-employees/o

More of this type of news is beginning to trickle in.
              Did you even bother to read any of the articles in the links? I did. And this is what I found:

Energizer:
              The news, released along with the company’s quarterly results after the close of regular trading, helped send Energizer’s stock up nearly 6 percent in after-hours trading.
              News of layoffs had nothing to do with election results, but rather were tied to quarterly report. This news sent stock up six percent.

The closing of the Maryville facility was an extremely difficult decision but necessary because of dramatic changes in the overall battery market over the past three to four years. With the increased use of rechargeable electronic devices with multiple features, primary battery sales continue to decline in developed markets worldwide."
              Layoffs have nothing to do with election results, but rather with increased demand for rechargeable batteries and decreased demand for non-rechargeable batteries.

The maker of batteries, Schick razors and Wet Ones cleaning wipes also said it more than doubled its quarterly profits. It posted fiscal fourth-quarter net income of $117 million, or $1.84 per share. That’s up from $45.8 million, or 67 cents per share, in the same quarter of last year, which was weighed down by restructuring and other items.

Net sales were $1.14 billion, a 5 percent drop from the previous year. Energizer said the slip was partially the result of weakening demand for batteries and fewer hurricanes in the U.S. The company’s quarter ended Sept. 30, and Superstorm Sandy hit the Northeastern U.S. on Oct. 29.

Excluding money set aside for lawsuits and other items, adjusted earnings for Energizer Holdings, Inc. came out to $1.76 per share.

Analysts had expected the company to post earnings of $1.55 per share and sales of $1.14 billion, according to the data provider FactSet.

Gross margins improved by about 60 basis points to 46.1 percent, helped by improved product costs and lower promotional spending.

Looking ahead, Energizer forecast fiscal 2013 earnings per share of $6.75 to $7.00, adjusted to include estimated cost savings from the restructuring but excluding restructuring costs. Analysts expected $6.39 per share, on average.

In after-hours trading late Thursday, Energizer’s shares were up $4.09 to $74.91.
              All good for your portfolio, right?

Westinghouse: That's the Anniston Weapons Incinerator, which was tasked with destroying old U.S. chemical weapons by 2012 per international treaty (Chemical Weapons Convention, 1993). Now that all chemical weapons have been destroyed, Westinghouse Anniston has the contract to tear down the incinerator.

One of the best thing that can ever be said about chemical weapons containing the deadly nerve agent VX is: Good riddance. Thankfully, the people of Alabama can say just that. On Christmas Eve, the last VX-filled land mine that...

Has nothing to do with the election results. Destruction of the incinerator is almost finished.

Research In Motion Limited:
              Research in Motion Ltd., the maker of BlackBerry smartphones, laid off about 200 people at its U.S. headquarters in Irving on Wednesday, according to a source close to the company who did not want to be named.
              Once a mobile pioneer, RIM has struggled to regain market share lost to Apple Inc.’s iPhones and other smartphones that use Google Inc.’s Android software. RIM reported a net loss of $235 million on revenue of $2.9 billion for the quarter ended Sept. 1.
              iPhone kicked the crap out of Blackberry. It's called the free market. Or would you rather have Mitt rush in with our tax dollors and save RIM?

Lightyear Network Solutions: Of Pikeville Kentucky. Population 6900. Gosh, I wonder why they're struggling? Three words: LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. And not to mention, there are a large number of computer networking companies in Kentucky doing quite well. But they chose to locate in cities like Lexington and Louisville. Go figure.

Providence Journal: A newspaper. Nuff said.

Hawker Beechcraft: Oh come on. They've been in financial trouble for five years. Lousy management and bankruptcy.

I'm Finished.
              Last edited by ripemupshocks; November 12, 2012, 08:00 AM.
              "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
                http://www.theblaze.com/stories/how-...a-second-term/

Elections have consequences....enjoy them.

“Another One Bites the Dust”

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post

Hawker Beechcraft: Oh come on. They've been in financial trouble for five years. Lousy management and bankruptcy.
                  You understand that HBC has been owned by Goldman Sachs, who is Obama Loving and supporter. Goldman sachs has alot of people in the administration - and you will find Biden, Oboma and Clinton all has indirect ties to Goldman Sachs.

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                    “Another One Bites the Dust”

I'd guess this means you believe President Obama is responsible for the Hostess bankruptcy?
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                      You understand that HBC has been owned by Goldman Sachs, who is Obama Loving and supporter. Goldman sachs has alot of people in the administration - and you will find Biden, Oboma and Clinton all has indirect ties to Goldman Sachs.
                      Come on SB. I've seen enough of your posts to know your better than this. I'm well aware of the Beech Aircraft, Raytheon, British Aerospace Hawker, Onex, Goldman Sachs, history. But thanks anyway. In my post I stated Hawker Beechcraft had been in financial trouble for five years, when I should have said, at least five years. I knew they were having problems before Raytheon sold them to Onex/Goldman in 2007. In 2006, Raytheon Execs got the sh*t smacked out of them by the SEC for cooking the books and lying to investors as far back as 1997.

From this article:
                      On 28 June 2006 Securities and Exchange Commission (the "Commission" or "SEC") instituted settled enforcement proceedings against Raytheon Company (Raytheon), its former Chairman and CEO, Daniel P. Burnham (Burnham), and the former Deputy CFO and Controller of Raytheon Aircraft Company (RAC), Aldo R. Servello (Servello). Between 1997 and 2001, Raytheon Company and certain members of its senior management made false and misleading disclosures and used improper accounting practices that operated as a fraud by masking the declining results and deteriorating business of Raytheon Aircraft Company ("RAC") and inaccurately reporting the company's operating results on both a segmented and consolidated basis. In addition, between 1997 and 2001, Raytheon failed to fully and accurately disclose known risks, trends, uncertainties, and other information concerning the deteriorating state of RAC's commuter aircraft business and the negative impact this decline was having on asset values associated with RAC's line of nineteen-seat, turboprop aircraft (the "commuters" or the "1900s") and, thus, on the company's (including RAC's) results of operations.

Raytheon, Burnham, and Servello consented to the entry of a final judgment in a related civil action filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia for the purposes of awarding civil monetary penalties and disgorgement. As part of the settlement, Raytheon consented to pay a penalty of $12 million and $1 in disgorgement. Burnham and Servello agreed to pay disgorgement of certain past bonus amounts, pre-judgment interest, and penalties in the total amounts of $1,238,344 and $34,628, respectively.
                      Then this:
                      Raytheon announced in July 2006 that it was reviewing strategic alternatives for Raytheon Aircraft Company, a world leading manufacturer of business and special-mission aircraft, providing a wide variety of aviation products and services for businesses, governments and individuals. RAC has more than 8,500 employees and has approximately 100 authorized service centers worldwide.
                      Let me paraphrase; We just got spanked but good for lying to our investors for the last ten years about how bad business is. Time to unload this dog!

Regarding your statement about the Goldman, Clinton, Obama, Biden connection, absolutely true (although I find it interesting, and very telling that you left out the equally corrupt Goldman loving George Bush). They're all a bunch of seedy, underhanded Republicratic/Demopublican scum. But I fail to see the connection to the Raytheon execs who started driving a once great aircraft company into the ground some fifteen years ago. Therefore, I still contend, Raytheon is NOT laying-off workers because of President Obama. But rather because of long term bad management!

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        If I'm not mistaken the #1 employer for contributions to both the Obama and Romney campaigns was Goldman Sachs.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                          Come on SB. I've seen enough of your posts to know your better than this. I'm well aware of the Beech Aircraft, Raytheon, British Aerospace Hawker, Onex, Goldman Sachs, history. But thanks anyway. In my post I stated Hawker Beechcraft had been in financial trouble for five years, when I should have said, at least five years. I knew they were having problems before Raytheon sold them to Onex/Goldman in 2007. In 2006, Raytheon Execs got the sh*t smacked out of them by the SEC for cooking the books and lying to investors as far back as 1997.
                          The example you provided just point out that most CFO are just dirt bags looking to maximize their yearly bonuses however they can while trying to ride the line from staying out of prison. There are probably alot of bad things you can say about how Raytheon mismanaged the Beechcraft brand name (i.e. rename Beechcraft - Raytheon Aircraft), but for the most part they invested a lot of money into the company through new aircraft development and purchasing existing products (e.g. Hawker line, Mitshibishi Jet which became the Beechjet 400, pilatus turboprop that became the JPATS trainer) to expand their business. They also bankrolled Beech/RAC/ in the lean years.

But Beechcraft was having profits in the late 90's, then during the recession in 1999-2002 was breaking even or losing a little money. But after they brought in a new CEO, New VP of Engineering from Boeing) they saw things do quite a turn around where they again were at making significant profits:

1996: 181 million

Couldn't find data for 1997-2000

2001: 2 million
                          2002: -39 million
                          2003: -77 million
                          2004: 96 million
                          2005: 187 million
                          2006: 274 million

Regarding your statement about the Goldman, Clinton, Obama, Biden connection, absolutely true (although I find it interesting, and very telling that you left out the equally corrupt Goldman loving George Bush).
                          Why, how would George Bush be relevant to now? Time to quit living in the past.

They're all a bunch of seedy, underhanded Republicratic/Demopublican scum.
                          well this is something we can agree on.

But I fail to see the connection to the Raytheon execs who started driving a once great aircraft company into the ground some fifteen years ago. Therefore, I still contend, Raytheon is NOT laying-off workers because of President Obama. But rather because of long term bad management!
                          IMO, Goldman Sach saw what happened with Boeing/Spirit split and wanted part of the action. So they did a leverage buyout of HBC and their plan was to take them public - they just didn't see the economic meltdown (which they likely had blood on their hands). With the leveraged buyout of 2.3 billion of the 3.3 billion price tag ended up saddling HBC with unsustainable debt (loans paying greater than 10% interest). If you look at how things were going HBC was actually better built to work through the economic down turn with their military contracts and their king air line than Cessna.

But things went bad when Goldman Sachs decided they wanted to move as much production to Mexico and when that production didn't come on line and they could not deliver aircraft to paying customers - which in turn meant they could not meet the covenants of the leverage buyout and the lenders decided when asked to redo the loans they would rather foreclose and force HBC into bankrupcty. Goldman Sach probably could have stopped it had they invested a little money to get them through this period - but I'm sure they did the calculation and determined 500 million loss for them was less risk, especially when the economy shows no signs of turning around.

But, let me tell you this after following the HBC bankruptcy - bankruptcy is a business in this country, big business. There are a lot of people making money off of bankruptcy, but in the end - it is the small people/companies that get screwed.
                          Last edited by SB Shock; November 18, 2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                            But, let me tell you this after allowing the HBC bankruptcy - bankruptcy is a )usiness in this country, big business. There are a lot of people making money off of bankruptcy, but in the end - it is the small people/companies that get screwed.
                            Elaborate. (And forget about attornies, we all know they make out like bandits in a bankruptcy)
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Elaborate. (And forget about attornies, we all know they make out like bandits in a bankruptcy)
                              Here is one of the recent examples of a example where they want to hire a company/consultant to provide "advice" - reference docket 744, the Bankers want to hire a Korn/Ferry International for $450,000 to get recommendations for 6 new board of directors for the bankers to appoint after it comes out of bankruptcy ($75,000 per director). The docket is littered with these appointments of consultants.

Epiq11.com builds on a library of cases spanning two decades - the largest repository of such data in the industry outside of the federal court system.

Comment

Working...
                              X