Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPEC+ to Lose Power and Influence

KAKE - OPEC may soon lose its sway over global oil prices, IEA says

A looming glut in global oil supply could “upend” attempts by the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries and its allies, or OPEC+, to prop up prices by cutting production, according to the International Energy Agency.

The Paris-based IEA said Wednesday that it expects growth in global oil production — led by the United States and other countries in the Americas — to “inflate the world’s spare (oil) capacity cushion” to levels seen only once before, during the coronavirus pandemic when oil prices crashed.

By 2030, global oil supply will outstrip demand by a “staggering” 8 million barrels per day, according to forecasts published by the agency in its medium-term oil market report.

“(That’s) a major, major surplus and… might be one of the highest in the history,” Fatih Birol, the IEA’s executive director, told reporters.

That surplus “could upend the current OPEC+ market management strategy aimed at supporting prices,” the agency said in its report, adding that the glut could result in a “lower-price environment.”

OPEC, which has allied itself with Russia and other producers, did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.

The IEA also forecast growth in global oil demand to “slow progressively” over the rest of the decade, with demand peaking by 2029 before contracting slightly the year after.

The agency said the accelerating deployment of clean energy technologies, including “surging EV sales,” would be one of the main reasons for the slower growth in oil demand.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

As always, there are a LOT of assumptions in this report (that I've already consumed) that may or may not come to fruition. The most unlikely of these is that emerging population bases, ones that are poor (and all emerging civilizations are poor) are going to willingly abstain or limit their consumption of cheap energy.

You can believe Africa and Asia are going to go electric, and it might happen. I would be careful banking on it though. The last 30 years suggest the opposite from that article.

Doesn't mean it won't change, but I would at least suggest it is less likely than they state.

Comment

But are those emerging nations offset by the wealthy nations that are spending more time and money on alternative energy sources? EVs are improving and there are some potentially big improvements that could hit the industry in the next few years or so. Europe has gone pretty hard to EV and even hydrogen for some of their public transportation. Combine all of that with an increase in oil coming from the Americas and I could see this report being more right than wrong.

Hell, Toyota seems to think they have a game changer on the horizon with their ammonia engine. It's a banned fuel source in the US, but if they do what they think they can it can start to be a factor elsewhere. Though a new tech like that is also likely to take longer to integrate.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
      X