New DOT Rules for Airlines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DOT Rules for Airlines

Airlines Required To Offer Cash Refunds For Canceled And Delayed Flights Under New DOT Rules

In a significant move for air travelers, the Department of Transportation unveiled groundbreaking regulations on Wednesday.

These new guidelines mandate airlines to automatically reimburse passengers in cash for flights that are canceled or face substantial delays.

Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg heralded the announcement as a pivotal moment for American aviation consumers. He emphasized that these regulations mark the most extensive enhancement of passenger rights ever introduced by the department.

Gone are the days when airlines could determine the duration of a delay warranting a refund. According to the freshly minted DOT regulations, passengers are eligible for a refund if their domestic flight is delayed over three hours or if their international flight is delayed more than six hours. This policy applies across the board, whether tickets were purchased directly from airlines, through travel agents, or via third-party platforms like Expedia and Travelocity.

The new rules explicitly state that passengers have the right to a cash refund if their flight is canceled or altered significantly and they opt out of alternative travel arrangements or travel credits proposed by the airline.

Furthermore, airlines are now obligated to provide cash refunds for lost luggage that isn't returned within a 12-hour window.

"Passengers deserve to get their money back when an airline owes them -- without headaches or haggling," Buttigieg said in a statement.
    I don't travel by air very often and have never really thought about this and therefore I do not have a well thought all opinion.

I'm generally opposed to government getting involved in the affairs of businesses but I could also understand some level of protections for those traveling as it's a pretty expensive process for the most part and I do believe in accountability.

Though I do also wonder how airlines should be held accountable/responsible for weather related issues. I'll need to think more about it as a whole.

Though I am pretty much on board with being compensated should they lose your luggage. That's on them, though I'm open to arguments to the contrary should anyone have them. That's how we learn and evaluate our positions and thought processes.

Thoughts?
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Government enacts rules and regulations, touts them it as "he most extensive enhancement of passenger rights ever introduced by the department." Completely ignores the market implications.

1. Airfares are going to rise. These regulations cost money to implement, and to administer, airlines are not going to eat that money.
    2. How do we determine the value of the bag I lost? Do I now need to declare everything in my bag, and have it verified?
    3. Wasn't this the of coverage, for the flight and the bags, always available via trip insurance?

Comment

This sounds like a class president candidate in jr high lobbying for longer recess and less homework.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I probably should read the details, but I don't wanna.

Could care less what Bootyjuice has to say, isn't it time for him to go on paternity leave again? (God, please look after that child)

Will say this....not sure what they mean by "cash refund" but refunding ANYONE by any other means than how they paid is absolutely BEGGING for fraud. IF that's the case, and the ticket counters have to carry several grand in Benjamins to refund folks, my gosh will that be a **** show for the ages. And the average Joe, as ALWAYS, will be the ones getting screwed while the thieves, drug mules, hackers & douchebags steal for free.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          I probably should read the details, but I don't wanna.

Could care less what Bootyjuice has to say, isn't it time for him to go on paternity leave again? (God, please look after that child)

Will say this....not sure what they mean by "cash refund" but refunding ANYONE by any other means than how they paid is absolutely BEGGING for fraud. IF that's the case, and the ticket counters have to carry several grand in Benjamins to refund folks, my gosh will that be a **** show for the ages. And the average Joe, as ALWAYS, will be the ones getting screwed while the thieves, drug mules, hackers & douchebags steal for free.
          I'm assuming cash refund just means full refund of funds paid, rather than giving them miles or whatever it is they do for their airline for some other flight. Again, I really don't fly and have never dealt with any of this. I've only heard stories from others and sometimes it can be a pain. Especially if you want to switch airlines but you only have credits or something for the airline that may or may not have ****ed you over.

I flew in January to go down for the WSU/USF game. That was the first time I'd flown in 10 or 11 years. So I can't really speak to how things are done or not done, at least not from any kind of first hand knowledge.

I would think that missing a flight due to something out of your hands shouldn't be handled like returning a pair of jeans for store credit. But that's also maybe just my assumption to how airlines generally handle things.

So refunding your money in total so you can spend it however you need to reach your destination seems reasonable. Handing out Benjamin's to anyone and everyone makes no sense, unless they paid cash to begin with, which I'm assuming happens very little.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

If your flight gets delayed, the airline will get you to your destination, and often times give you a credit. If you choose to cancel, they should refund you. But, usually, if your flight gets delayed, your main objective is getting to your destination, how often do people decide they aren't going to go where they want to go because their flight gets delayed? My guess is rarely. So at some point, the airline does provide the service you paid for, albeit with an inconvenience, hence, usually a credit is given. So, this really seems like a small problem that doesn't require government intervention, more than ordering a product that was never received.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Working...
            X