Clear All

• Taylor Hill

Comment

• Iga Swiatek

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Olga Carmona

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Vintage Monday returns with fashion model Jean Patchett.

Interestingly enough, some of these photos were shot for a feature on dime store fashions in the late 1940s. I can't be the only one who has positive memories from going to Woolworths (or equivalent, even in the 1970s). The swimsuit above, if you can call it that, was made entirely from scarves tied together for less than $2.

Comment

• I've never seen a Woolsworth and was not yet alive in the 70's, so I got nothing for ya.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Gail Russell - I know her best from her lead performance in the John Wayne movie "Angel and the Badman" (1947) when she was 23. An actress at 18, she became an alcoholic early on and died from its complications at age 36.

gail-russell0a.jpg
              gail-russell2a.jpg

gail-russell3a.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                I've never seen a Woolsworth and was not yet alive in the 70's, so I got nothing for ya.
                It was a different time. The Woolworths I went to as a kid was almost 2 miles from where I lived as an 11-12 year old. The city buses didn't have a route in that direction, but I could walk along Oliver to 13th street where it was. Usually walked through the old WSU golf course (and near Carter Elementary where I went to grade school). We would pick up stray golf balls in the woods if they looked abandoned. Would go to the Ken Mar Drug Store for sodas and comic books. The owners (I found out) were long time supporters of WSU basketball. After I got married, wife and I were at WSU basketball game, when someone who knew her asked if she or I wanted to do the half court basketball shot thing. They used to provide a ticket, autograph or coupon in the game programs you could buy back then. So I went down, and they had me put on a stupid shirt over my regular clothes. I made the first three shots (layup, free throw, 3 pointer I think) but missed the half court shot. Oh well. It was a truly small world when I found out the people that had asked my (then) wife if she or I wanted to do the shot were the owners of the same KenMar Drug store where I bought half of my comic books (from mowing lawns). Even as a 11-12 year old (in the late 1970s) I would ride city buses to downtown Wichita, catch the East Harry transfer so I could go to this super cool comic book store, and then take the bus out to Towne East and LeMans arcade. Take the 21st/17th city bus home. Saturdays were always such an adventure back then.

Comment

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

It was a different time. The Woolworths I went to as a kid was almost 2 miles from where I lived as an 11-12 year old. The city buses didn't have a route in that direction, but I could walk along Oliver to 13th street where it was. Usually walked through the old WSU golf course (and near Carter Elementary where I went to grade school). We would pick up stray golf balls in the woods if they looked abandoned. Would go to the Ken Mar Drug Store for sodas and comic books. The owners (I found out) were long time supporters of WSU basketball. After I got married, wife and I were at WSU basketball game, when someone who knew her asked if she or I wanted to do the half court basketball shot thing. They used to provide a ticket, autograph or coupon in the game programs you could buy back then. So I went down, and they had me put on a stupid shirt over my regular clothes. I made the first three shots (layup, free throw, 3 pointer I think) but missed the half court shot. Oh well. It was a truly small world when I found out the people that had asked my (then) wife if she or I wanted to do the shot were the owners of the same KenMar Drug store where I bought half of my comic books (from mowing lawns). Even as a 11-12 year old (in the late 1970s) I would ride city buses to downtown Wichita, catch the East Harry transfer so I could go to this super cool comic book store, and then take the bus out to Towne East and LeMans arcade. Take the 21st/17th city bus home. Saturdays were always such an adventure back then.
                  Woolco was Woolworths attempt at big box discount store, late 60's early 70's. Wichita had at least one that went into Marina Lake's center across from Twin Lakes around 1970. It failed.

Although Marina Lakes neighbor Pogo's was a success for a while!
                  Last edited by shocktown; 1 week ago.

Comment

"It was a different time." You're such a youngster.

Comment

• Theresa Schuessler (Tesha Price/Fallon Henley)

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Anne Julia Hagen

Comment

“You shake my nerves and you rattle my brain
                          Too much love drives a man insane
                          You broke my will but what a thrill
                          Goodness gracious, great balls of fire!​“
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Demi Moore

demi-moore1a.jpg

Demi-Moore3a.jpg

Demi-Moore4b.jpg

Comment

• Demi Moore pt 2

demi-moore0a.jpg

demi-moore2a.jpg

demi-moore5a.jpg

Comment

• Emily Kinney

Couldn't resist throwing a Walking Dead photo in here.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X