Republican Election of Speaker of House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Republican Election of Speaker of House

Going to day 3 for Speaker of the House Election. Six Votes and ground hog day persisted.

Last vote was:

Jeffries - 212
    McCarthy - 201
    Donalds - 20
    Present - 1

Democrats enjoying the lack of unity on the Republican side.

Negotiations are ongoing, Rep. Chip Roy said:

exas Rep. Chip Roy, one of the conservatives who has voted against McCarthy's speakership bid, told GOP leaders that he thinks he can get 10 holdouts to come along if these ongoing negotiations pan out, according to GOP sources familiar with the internal discussions
    which still wouldn't be enough, but might give McCarthy some momentum.

We have to have some one in office before the State of the Union Address, so they can rip up Biden's speech like a little biotch

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      We have to have some one in office before the State of the Union Address, so they can rip up Biden's speech like a little biotch
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think a fair amount of the holdouts are just grandstanding. They love the attention and spotlight rather than trying to unify things. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying McCarthy is the best option, but this reeks of "look at me" politics.

Comment

I think this has more to do with a few members of the GOP tired of look at me leadership that is everything wrong with DC. McCarthy is a horrible choice to make a face of the party. Though doing such things is pretty much expected from the GOP in general.

Another thing wrong with both parties is the expectation/demand that everyone fall in line, no matter how bad an idea might be.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I think this has more to do with a few members of the GOP tired of look at me leadership that is everything wrong with DC. McCarthy is a horrible choice to make a face of the party. Though doing such things is pretty much expected from the GOP in general.

Another thing wrong with both parties is the expectation/demand that everyone fall in line, no matter how bad an idea might be.
            I agree. Also, they should fall in line on this.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Agreed. But, in this instance where McCarthy could strike a deal with a number of Dems to get elected in return for some concessions and he then becomes the SOH anyway, what is the long-term plan / alternative?

Comment

12th vote

McCarty builds momentum.

McCarthy 213
                Jeffries 211
                Hern 3
                Jordan 4

Boebert - unelectable
                Last edited by SB Shock; January 6, 2023, 02:41 PM.

Comment

13th vote
                  McCarthy 214
                  Jeffries 212
                  Jordan 6

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    13th vote
                    McCarthy 214
                    Jeffries 212
                    Jordan 6
                    I really like Jordan. Wish it could swing his direction.

Comment

All they’re doing is showing that they’re all losers.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

finally

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

I really like Jordan. Wish it could swing his direction.
                          Jordan didn't want speaker of the house because he wants to be in charge Judiciary committee and run the investigation in the Biden administration.

His first target is Department of Education and the

Biden Administration’s misuse of federal criminal and counterterrorism resources to target concerned parents at school board meetings.

Comment

McCarthy had to go the full 15 rounds put pulled it by a split decision. At the very least you has a small group of politicians on the right show a willingness to fight. Whether or not the really accompished anything remains to be seen. Keeping congress from doing "the people's business" (LOL) for a few days wasn't really a bad thing,

I think the conservative holdouts achieved some good things along the way but the bottom line is McConnell and his group of RINO's in the senate pretty much neutered how effective this congress will be over the next 12 months as they pushed through the horrible Omnibus Bill which pretty much funded everything the Democrats could have hoped for and more for the next year.

And once the Democrats win back the house they will simply undue any of the changes the holdouts were able to negotiate. And at this point not sure what difference it makes as the remnants of the United States is pretty much bankrupt financially, ethically and morally with elections being pretty much meaningless as the entreched out-of control deep state and it's quasi non-governmental media and tech industries are in contol. Bye-bye Miss America Pie indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              McCarthy had to go the full 15 rounds put pulled it by a split decision. At the very least you has a small group of politicians on the right show a willingness to fight. Whether or not the really accompished anything remains to be seen. Keeping congress from doing "the people's business" (LOL) for a few days wasn't really a bad thing,We

I think the conservative holdouts achieved some good things along the way but the bottom line is McConnell and his group of RINO's in the senate pretty much neutered how effective this congress will be over the next 12 months as they pushed through the horrible Omnibus Bill which pretty much funded everything the Democrats could have hoped for and more for the next year.

And once the Democrats win back the house they will simply undue any of the changes the holdouts were able to negotiate. And at this point not sure what difference it makes as the remnants of the United States is pretty much bankrupt financially, ethically and morally with elections being pretty much meaningless as the entreched out-of control deep state and it's quasi non-governmental media and tech industries are in contol. Bye-bye Miss America Pie indeed.
                              We will soon see. The debt ceiling has to be raised soon. I'm sure a fight is going to happen. Republicans have NEVER looked good, when they try "brinkmanship", and the government comes to a halt. Whether it is how the MSM portrays the Republican Party as opposed to the lenient Democrat Party, or another reason, I can't remember the Republicans ever looking good at the end of a Government stoppage fight.

Comment

Working...
                              X