Space: The Final Frontier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space: The Final Frontier

Figured I'd put this here as it could get political at some point, though that's not my intention. I've always been fascinated with the idea of space exploration, be it the moon or Mars or whatever may come down the road. I'm not entirely sure what the plans are by NASA or others in regards to such missions as you've heard so many things over the years and I'm not sure what was actually planned or what was just thrown out as possibilities. I've heard about the plans to potentially build some sort of moon base/research station at one point. I think W at one point talked about some sort of moon base being a staging area for trips to Mars or something. I know Musk wants to send people to Mars and SpaceX has made a lot of progress in regards to rockets and has been crucial to NASA and the US Government in recent years.

I only bring this up because I just read an article, which will be shared below, that talked about the growing sizes of rockets that are being used, or plan to be used soon, and it sounds like NASA is planning to go back to the moon. I've always wondered if there would be benefits to having some sort of research facility on the moon and if there's benefits of the lower gravity levels in some such things. Or having the ability to experiment with things with no atmosphere or who knows what else. Maybe this is all just because I've grown up a bit of a sci-fi nerd.

SpaceX launches Falcon Heavy rocket on classified Space Force mission (msn.com)

The Falcon Heavy is the most powerful operational rocket in the U.S. inventory, but that honor is expected to pass to NASA's huge Space Launch System booster when it flies for the first time later this month to send an unpiloted Orion crew capsule around the moon and back.

The most-powerful-rocket title then will be handed off to SpaceX's gargantuan Super Heavy-Starship when it finally blasts off on a maiden flight late this year or early next.

That said, the Falcon Heavy did not disappoint, putting on a dramatic sky show as it climbed out of the fog blanketing the spaceport atop a brilliant jet of fiery exhaust, the roar of its 27 engines shattering the morning calm.

The Falcon Heavy's two side boosters, both making their first flight, were programmed to flip around moments after separation and to restart three engines each to reverse course. Another firing slowed the boosters for the plunge back into the dense lower atmosphere.

Plummeting toward the ground, the boosters restarted their central core engines, deployed landing legs and settled to picture-perfect, side-by-side touchdowns on concrete pads at the Cape Canaveral Space Force Station as sonic booms rumbled across Florida's Space Coast.
    I'm also a big fan of SpaceX and other private entities that have been developing different craft for exploration and leisure. This is how things move forward as they challenge each other to develop the next big thing or find a way to commercialize space. And there's video in the above article showing the two rockets returning to earth and landing back down in Florida. If you haven't seen it before, it's actually pretty cool that they can get these rockets to return and reuse them, cutting down total costs. It's pretty awesome really.

I have no idea what Space Force is up to, but I'm more intrigued with where these rockets are taking us in the next decade. Will we start building a moon base? Will we start sending, or seriously planning an expedition to Mars? What will we discover next on this journey, terrestrial or otherwise?

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Biden is hell-bent on beating the Russians to the moon.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I think the future of space exploration will lead to exploiting resources that exist off planet. It is obviously not cost effective now to mine asteroids or the moon, but I think that is the most reasonable avenue to fund better launch systems or even a space elevator (which is the coolest concept I've ever heard).

But if you could find an asteriod made up of rare-Earth minerals, how could that not be the way to go, as opposed to strip mining vast swaths of land here?

I'm not real sure what the appeal is for having colonies on Mars or the moon other than just to see if we can sustain one without relying on resupplies constantly. But launching from either takes less fuel, which is the #1 variable to everything.

We shall see. I think it is a natural progression to leave the Earth, so space exploration is inevitable.

Great topic.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

It's one of the few topics that still truly excites me. Probably because so much of it is still left to our imaginations.

I have read about some pretty cool tech discoveries that they believe would also help on a trip to Mars, as well as establishing a base of some sorts that was potentially self sufficient. I know one had to do with 3D printing which would utilize Marsian rocks/dust mixed with something else that would make tools and such very light and durable, and would also free up a lot of weight on any transport that would go that way.

There was another discovery that I'll have to go find that was something small, but just one had the capability of processing CO2 at the rate of 100 trees or some sort. Something that would help with oxygen production and greenhouses.

I might be a little off and will have to go look them up again. I would think actual attempts at colonization of either would be a ways off, but I think there could be value in research facilities on world. And some of those discoveries, or proving of hypothesis, could benefit Earth. I'm sure there would be significant value found if you could be self sufficient, or at least mostly so, on either the Moon or Mars. If it's changes in how to potentially grow food in certain environments or who knows what else.

Plus it's just kind of cool to think about. None of us are going to live in a Star Trek type of world where we've discovered faster than light travel and can explore beyond our solar system, but sure would be cool if we did.

I guess there's just so much unknown to the universe and what we may find, discover or invent while doing what man has always had the urge to do, explore the unknown.

Be it eventually mining asteroids or just getting a different perspective on science and what our system has to offer. The possibilities are endless.

Then there's also the future of space tourism. I know there have been some people/companies that have looked into building some sort of space hotel in orbit around earth eventually. We still have work to do on making travel to and from more cost effective and such, but I think that's what we're getting with SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, Blue Origin and others. Eventually something will make it easier. Granted, it will still mostly be the uber wealthy at first, but it is what it is.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but that's what makes space so exciting. I'll make sure any future articles and such I come across find their way here.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Best opening monologue EVER...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If you haven't watched it, 'The Expanse' on Amazon is a really good series. It is a lot more sciency when it comes to the travel and physics which is cool. Story is good too.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I haven't seen the most recent season, but that was a nice discovery I came across in the past year.

Still waiting on Amazon to kick the Stargate series off again now that they own it.

But The Expanse has been good.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I'm not real sure what the appeal is for having colonies on Mars or the moon other than just to see if we can sustain one without relying on resupplies constantly.
                You have to walk before you can run. So colonization of the moon and mars are imperative if you have bigger plans.

The earth will be destroyed at some point - that is 100% certain. Might be tomorrow or billion years, but it will happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

You have to walk before you can run. So colonization of the moon and mars are imperative if you have bigger plans.

The earth will be destroyed at some point - that is 100% certain. Might be tomorrow or billion years, but it will happen.
                  True. I think as crazy as it may sound, humans long term will spawn a new AI that will act as a form of life that will be our interstellar travelers, or we may send forth a nomadic civilization aboard some craft that will wander the galaxy over generations. The sheer distances and time it takes to travel outside our solar sysrem requires it. Barring some new propulsion. But even if we could approach light speeds, I believe it is 4 years to the closest star.

Comment

Proxima Centauri b is the nearest known potentially habitable planet to Earth and is a little over 4 light years away.

Current tech would take about 6,000 years to reach it.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Proxima Centauri b is the nearest known potentially habitable planet to Earth and is a little over 4 light years away.

I’m in!
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I’m in!
                        I'll bring the snacks...

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

If humanity wants to travel between stars, people are going to need to travel faster than light. New research suggests that it might be possible to build warp drives and beat the galactic speed limit.

Warp drives: Physicists investigate faster-than-light space travel | Astronomy.com

Comment

I've seen some talk of FTL possibilities/theories in recent years. It's exciting to think about. I have no idea how long it would take to make it a realization, but it probably doesn't happen without continued space exploration anyway.

Maybe we need to officially make contact with ETs and get on whatever tech they have to assist us. Lets speed up the process lol.

It's still fun to think about, though I sincerely doubt it'll happen in any of our times. But who knows, maybe someone will make some breakthrough that truly propels mankind into the future, and into another star system.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Japanese Startup to Launch Public Space-Viewing Balloon Flights to Rival SpaceX

A Japanese aerospace startup is hoping to make space tourism even more accessible with a balloon capsule that hovers up 14 miles above the Earth.

With an unobstructed view of space above, and the curvature of the Earth clearly visible below, the capsule is designed to rival existing space tourism flights that cost millions per ticket by reducing the complexity of the flight, and removing the need for special astronaut training.

Developed by the Sapporo-based Iwaya Giken, the helium-powered balloon is slated for an October launch this year, with tickets available in August at around $175,000. Iawya’s CEO Keisuke Iwaya hopes to bring that cost down to a five-figure, and eventually a four-figure sum as quickly as next year.

Last June, the company successfully launched their balloon up to about 90% total altitude with a hamster on board.

During a two-hour ascent, the capsule, which looks an awful lot like the cockpit of the Millenium Falcon, rises 14 miles above Earth to the stratosphere, higher than jet planes fly, and above the point where space goes from a blue curtain to a twinkling black abyss. After it reaches its target altitude, it remains for 1 hour, before descending over the course of another hour.

“It’s safe, economical, and gentle for people,” CEO Iwaya told reporters. “The idea is to make space tourism for everyone.”

“I hope that balloon space travel will eventually be possible at a price in the ¥1 million ($7,500 USD) range.”
                              Not necessarily advancing space flight and the future of off world living, but it's a different approach to a bit of space tourism that could become relatively affordable for those that aren't billionaires.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X