Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the Drinking Age be Lowered to 18?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Drinking Age be Lowered to 18?

KAKE - Kansas AG's race: Kobach backs lowering drinking age to 18

Well, this is an interesting one.

Kobach criticized a 1980s federal law that threatens states with the loss of highway dollars if their drinking ages are below 21. He said he believes the U.S. Supreme Court is now conservative enough that it would overturn that law and allow states to set their own policies.

The issue arose during a debate in Overland Park between Kobach and the other two GOP attorney general candidates, state Sen. Kellie Warren and former federal prosecutor Tony Mattivi. All three candidates support gun rights, and a viewer of the public television station livestreaming the debate asked whether the drinking age also should be 18 if people can buy guns at that age.

“When you’re 18 years old and you can vote — you can fight for this country — you should have all of the rights that other citizens enjoy,” Kobach said.
    The other two GOP candidates running against him oppose this, but it could make for some interesting discussion as I see this debate rage online all of the time.

There's definitely an argument to be made that if you can vote, fight for the country, and are considered a legal adult, that you should get all that comes with adulthood. I also get the arguments against it, but I find it all interesting none the less.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I would love for the law to be less on age and more on status. If you are claimed as a dependent, you should be considered less an adult than someone who is 18, working a job and paying taxes. 21 can be the age regardless, but there is a pretty big learning curve from graduating high school to adulthood, depending on the route you take and contribution to society. If you are paying taxes and not a dependent, you should be able to partake in any legal transaction any adult should.
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I’m in favor of 19 as the cut off for adulthood on all counts. That would allow for the vast majority of adults to be removed from high school.
      Livin the dream

Comment

About 20 years ago our Sunday School brought in a professor from Tabor College who had recently obtained his doctorate. His thesis was about how the age of maturity has changed over time. I remember him saying that being 18 in the 70s was roughly equivalent in terms of maturity to, I think it was 22 or 23 around year 2000. Since then I have felt like 21 should be the age to vote, drink and buy guns. But I know that also doesn't work when it comes to expecting 18-20 year olds to defend our country.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          About 20 years ago our Sunday School brought in a professor from Tabor College who had recently obtained his doctorate. His thesis was about how the age of maturity has changed over time. I remember him saying that being 18 in the 70s was roughly equivalent in terms of maturity to, I think it was 22 or 23 around year 2000. Since then I have felt like 21 should be the age to vote, drink and buy guns. But I know that also doesn't work when it comes to expecting 18-20 year olds to defend our country.
          When we want to look at full development, we should consider ~ 20 for women and ~ 25 for men. That’s a reasonable take.

When you consider physical maturity, you’re looking at 16 and 19.

I’m basically okay with any of these standards, but I believe they should be consistent across the board.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            Conscription age should be increased to 21 also, and then allow exceptions for those between 18-20 with a single parent's release. In 1863 the conscription started at 20 years of age. We can always lower it in a time of crisis, if absolutely necessary.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Maybe raise the voting age to 35 or 40 why we're at it. Lol
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

lol
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                X