Canadian Geese Federal Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Geese Federal Protection

I was in the KC area a couple of weeks back and happened to stop by the AMC Theatre. Over half of the commons area outside the front entrance was roped off along with about half of the entry doors. Signs were posted to stay out to allow the federally protected geese a place to nest.

Since when do we bow down like this to an overpopulated nuisance when in a heavily populated shopping area. The largest body of water in the area would be the fish tank in the Bass Pro Shops across the highway. I was chatting with a colleague from Canada today and he noted there is a program in Canada that pays for every egg you collect to control the population. He also noted England has relaxed laws on sport hunting the birds. I'm all for common sense conservation and protecting wildlife but this was over the top in my opinion.
    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Canada Goose. In Omaha, there are thousands of Canada geese that no longer migrate. The flood control system is awesome for protecting the city to the point that almost all recent flooding along the Misdouri River has occurred on the Iowa side, or south in Bellevue. The Corps of Engineers is upgrading and reinforcing the portions south into Bellevue so that the Air Force Base never floods again. This system has set up incredible recreational facilities and habitat for wildlife.

If you walk or bicycle along the Papio Creek Watershed, it is impossible to avoid these geese. They will attack. One attacked me last fall. He died. These geese have acclimated to the area and no longer fear people. They are destroying golf courses, soccer fields and just ablot any large greenspace. I would love for a special season to occur along the flood control creeks.

I shoot a few Canada Geese every fall in Wisconsin and North Dakota. They aren't a protected species. They aren't nearly as abundant as Snow Geese, but there is no reason to protect nesting areas. It could, however, be a program to transport the eggs back to Canada and incorporate those eggs into the nesting flocks of migrating birds. If that were successful, it could alleviate the problem of local geese taking permanent residence in cities. That said, I don't know why they would rope off an area for those shitbirds.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Was there possibly an odd goose in the bunch that wasn't a Canada? Otherwise, those things are human chasing crop destroyers.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
        Was there possibly an odd goose in the bunch that wasn't a Canada? Otherwise, those things are human chasing crop destroyers.
        th (1)a.jpg
        Attached Files

Comment

Bringing this gem over from the Bike thread. This is a no-shitter from Dec 1.

Screenshot_20220508-200721_DuckDuckGo.jpg
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

They're protected by federal law by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. There is a hunting season for them in Kansas - https://ksoutdoors.com/Hunting/When-...Migratory-Bird - but otherwise you have to get a permit to move their eggs. There was an incident a few years back in Wichita where someone destroyed a nest - https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Fo...508520041.html - but there were no eyewitnesses so the wildlife department didn't investigate.

I remember years ago when the geese first arrived in Wichita and mainly hung out in parks and river downtown. People were fascinated by them and would drive down to river to see them. I think most people thought back then they were just in town for the winter and would leave, but that didn't happen :( Too bad they don't love eating yellow dandelions and bind weed - at least they'd be useful if they'd help control those weeds.
            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Didn't want to create a new thread for this so I throw it here. Cool video from somewhere in the Houston area. This is one big effing Gar!

Comment

Working...
              X