Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covert Irania Nuclear Test in NK - Pass the redline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covert Irania Nuclear Test in NK - Pass the redline?

multiple sources are reporting that Iran conducted two covert nuclear weapon test in 2010.

Among those experts was Lars-Erik De Geer, an atmospheric scientist at the Swedish Defence Research Agency in Stockholm. When they looked at the monitoring data from Russian and Japanese stations close to North Korea, "the conclusion from everyone was, 'Hell, we cannot explain them.'", De Geer recalls (see 'Nuke watching').Unwilling to let the matter rest, De Geer took the radioisotope data and compared them with the South Korean reports, as well as meteorological records. After a year of work, he has concluded that North Korea carried out two small nuclear tests in April and May 2010 that caused explosions in the range of 50-200 tonnes of TNT equivalent. The types and ratios of isotopes detected, he says, suggest that North Korea was testing materials and techniques intended to boost the yield of its weapons. His paper will appear in the April/May issue of the journal Science and Global Security.
    Channel 2 in Israel, sourcing a “senior American official”, says that the decision has already been made by the Israeli government to attack Iran’s nuclear facilities.
    “All U.S. intelligence officials are confident the Israeli leadership has already decided to attack Iran, unless a significant change happens in the coming weeks or months with the Iranian nuclear program,” Channel 2 reports.

An Israeli attack on Iranian nuclear facilities would apparently also involve a 12-hour lead time. According to intelligence sources in Tel Aviv, Israeli politicians told Martin Dempsey, the US chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, that the Israeli leadership intends to give the White House only half a day's notice once it has decided to proceed with a military strike. In other words, Israel wants to be sure of two things: on the one hand, that US President Barack Obama is not taken completely by surprise by a possible attack, and on the other that he is not in a position to seriously question his ally's decision and undermine it with diplomatic efforts.

The Israeli journalist Ronen Bergman, who is very well connected among senior Israeli politicians, believes that Israel's prime minister and defense minister have already reached an agreement on the need for military action.

Hardliner Netanyahu is unusually determined. Few things motivate the premier as much as the fear of what he calls a second Auschwitz. He has never believed Holocaust denier Ahmadinejad's claim that Iran's nuclear program is purely for civilian purposes, and he feels vindicated by the most recent IAEA reports. Netanyahu doesn't take Ahmadinejad's repeated threats against the existence of Israel as tactical rhetoric, but instead believes that the Iranian president is deadly serious. He draws parallels between Europe's appeasement of Adolf Hitler and the current situation, and has said: "It's 1938, and Iran is Germany." This time, however, says Netanyahu, the Jews will not allow themselves to be the "sacrificial lamb" being led to the slaughter.

Israel has been doing everything in its power to stop Iran's atomic program, from targeted killings to computer worms. Now, a bombing raid on Iran's nuclear facilities may be just months away. But an Israeli attack could have the effect of strengthening the regime -- and make it more determined than ever to build the bomb. By SPIEGEL Staff.

Comment

I doubt we need to worry about a serious response from Syria. Now Egypt is another matter...
      “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

With all the serious internal problems and unrest Egypt has ongoing at this time, it is extremely unlikely that they would even remotely consider assisting Iran in any war like move against Israel.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
          With all the serious internal problems and unrest Egypt has ongoing at this time, it is extremely unlikely that they would even remotely consider assisting Iran in any war like move against Israel.
          maybe at this moment in time. But if the Muslim Brotherhood takes over it will be a different story.

The Muslim Brotherhood is moving in a very methodical fashion and doing everything in a legal fashion. Yesterday they have proposed a vote in Parliament a give a vote of "no confidence" to the Egyptian Prime Minister (which is army backed). The Muslim Brotherhood hopes to collapse the present government and install their own backed government.

Comment

A wild card is Turkey, the Turks are still peeved over the IDF fiasco with the humanitarian ship. I doubt Turkey would do anything other than saber rattle but they have the capability to cause serious military and diplomatic problems. We need the Turks at the moment as a strategic platform for the area.

Comment

I don't see the Turks actually doing anything against Israel here. Especially if they're hitting Iran. I think a lot of countries, deep down, would be secretly happy if Israel or the US struck Iran.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

By in large you are correct but diplomatically it will cost the US, likely something to do with capitulation over the Turk actions in northern Kurdistan.

Comment

Turkey is wanting to join the EU...and is already a member of NATO. They'll keep their mouth shut.

Comment

At the present time, it certainly does not appear that it would be to Turkey's advantage to take sides either way. In fact, if anything, they would probably favor any negative action towards Iran.

Turkey vs. Iran: The Rivalry for Dominance of the Middle East
                    By Yigal Schleifer, The Atlantic
                    Feb 26 2012, 8:01 AM ET 23

After years of tenuous cooperation, the two regional powers look increasingly like competitors.

Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party appears to be recalibrating its Iran policy and increasingly distancing itself from the more vocal support it previously gave the Iranian regime. As the two powers tussle over Syria, Iraq and other issues, analysts warn that their rivalry for leadership in the Middle East is only likely to sharpen.

But, for now, at least officially, Turkey maintains that it is still committed to maintaining its outreach to Iran and moving beyond the mutual suspicions that characterized the two countries' relations in decades past.

"We are doing our best to create the atmosphere for dialogue," one senior Turkish diplomat, speaking on condition of anonymity, told me. "Yes, we don't agree about all issues with Iran -- about what's happening in Iraq, in Syria -- but that doesn't mean we shouldn't talk with them. We are expressing our concerns and reactions with them about everything face-to-face."

Some recent statements from Turkish officials, though, suggest a more complex picture.

At a February 5 meeting of the Justice and Development Party, Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc delivered a blistering critique of Iran's policy of support for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad despite the Syrian government's bloody crackdown on opposition strongholds.

"I am addressing the Islamic Republic of Iran: I do not know if you are worthy of being called Islamic," Arinc said, according to the Anatolia state news agency. "Have you said a single thing about what is happening in Syria?"

Comment

Oh, ye who read to much and serve to little. Look at my words.

Comment

Who Does The Land of Israel Belong To?

An Israeli Sense of Humor at UN set the record straight.

An ingenious example of speech and politics occurred recently in the United Nations Assembly and made the world community smile.

A representative from Israel began: ‘Before beginning my talk I want to tell you something about Moses: When he struck the rock and it brought forth water, he thought, ’What a good opportunity to have a bath!’

Moses removed his clothes, put them aside on the rock and entered the water. When he got out and wanted to dress, his clothes had vanished. A Palestinian had stolen them!

The Palestinian representative at the UN jumped up furiously and shouted, ‘What are you talking about? The Palestinians weren’t there then.’

The Israeli representative smiled and said, ‘And now that we have made that clear, I will begin my speech…’
                        :poster_shocks:

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                          Oh, ye who read to much and serve to little. Look at my words.
                          First time I have ever heard anyone accused of reading and keeping abreast of what is going on too much. As far as servicing too little - I served, lived, associated with the Iranians for 2 1/2 years and did likewise with the Turks for a year. And I still communicate with long time friends in both countries.

Comment

Then should know the diplomatic waltz that Turkey will play and what the US response will be, which is what it has always been since 91.

الأكراد المستهلكة

Comment

Turkey has closed its Damascus Embassy and recalled its ambassador from Syria. I think we all agree this is an early move in the strategy to strike Iran.

Comment

Working...
                              X