Adding States: D.C. & Puerto Rico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding States: D.C. & Puerto Rico

It's hard to believe that a simple majority of Congress and the Senate is all it takes to send it to the President for signature.

Is that accurate? If so I can see why it was something ignored by the press and the left. It would have killed the chances of Dems all over the country.

Clarification and thoughts?

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
    It's hard to believe that a simple majority of Congress and the Senate is all it takes to send it to the President for signature.

Is that accurate? If so I can see why it was something ignored by the press and the left. It would have killed the chances of Dems all over the country.

Clarification and thoughts?
    Puerto Rico can apply to be a state and can be admitted via congress. That’s probably good. I believe it will be more difficult for DC.
    Livin the dream

Comment

As I read it, any "area" (for lack of a better term) must first choose to ask for admittance. Puerto Rico is somewhat divided on this but certainly leaning towards statehood.

Why do think DC would be more difficult? That place is 92-95% democratic and would seem a lock to ask for it, thus adding Congressional and Senate seats almost certainly to be Democratic for the foreseeable future.

Comment

I guess I'm mostly surprised something this important isn't decided by a 2/3rds majority at least, if not state by state voting at 67% to 75% in the affirm to pass.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          As I read it, any "area" (for lack of a better term) must first choose to ask for admittance. Puerto Rico is somewhat divided on this but certainly leaning towards statehood.

Why do think DC would be more difficult? That place is 92-95% democratic and would seem a lock to ask for it, thus adding Congressional and Senate seats almost certainly to be Democratic for the foreseeable future.
          Article I, Section 8 of the constitution states that the capitol can’t be in a state. There’s a ton more red tape, if not a constitutional amendment to admit DC.
          Livin the dream

Comment

I imagine 99% of all Puerto Ricans would be immediately eligible for welfare

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Article I, Section 8 of the constitution states that the capitol can’t be in a state. There’s a ton more red tape, if not a constitutional amendment to admit DC.
              Probably easier to make them just part of Maryland. No new senators, add 1 "voting" representative in place of 1 non-voting, and would not create any increase in the electoral college over what they have now.

PR would be different be totally different adding 4 reps (in place of 1 non-voting), 2 senators, and probably about 6 electoral college votes.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Probably easier to make them just part of Maryland. No new senators, add 1 "voting" representative in place of 1 non-voting, and would not create any increase in the electoral college over what they have now.

PR would be different be totally different adding 4 reps (in place of 1 non-voting), 2 senators, and probably about 6 electoral college votes.
                But with DC, you have to get around that pesky constitution.
                Livin the dream

Comment

It does seem odd that it only takes a simple majority to add a state. Why had this not come up before?

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

But with DC, you have to get around that pesky constitution.
                    Does it speak of blending it with a state? If not, the Constitution may not be a problem. DC cannot be a state of it's own.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Does it speak of blending it with a state? If not, the Constitution may not be a problem. DC cannot be a state of it's own.
                      Article I, Section 8 provides explicitly for a national capital that would not be part of a state nor treated as a state, but rather a unique enclave under the exclusive authority of Congress — a neutral “district” in which representatives of all the states could meet on an equal footing to conduct the nation’s business.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Thanks wufan I appreciate the help and info.

Comment

Working...
                        X