Big Tech Cancel Culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Tech Cancel Culture

Apple, Twitter, and all of Big Tech deletes Parler, Bongino, Trump, etc. Ayatollah threatens Israel, and Spreads Conservative Covid conspiracy Maintains his Account

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...b-services-ban

https://m.jpost.com/middle-east/iran...ccounts-654853

https://www.wtvr.com/news/coronavirus/twitter-hides-iranian-vaccine-conspiracy-post

I dislike Trump, but the big tech bias and inconsistencies in how they choose to enforce their terms of service is well known and has a long history of evidence. FB and Twitter have been infamous in the past for allowing the open call for the murder of Jews and the annihilation of Israel. They also have a long history of using their power to silence conservative, republican and libertarians while allowing a lot of hate field posts from the left as well as calls to violence.

Now, they're still private companies and can do so, but those biases and actions shouldn't be supported or praised. I'm a big believer in allowing businesses to proceed with business as they see fit and it being publicized so others can act accordingly. The problem with thr likes of Twitter and FB is there aren't really similar alternatives. Parler I've checked out just to see and it is comparable to Twitter and given the opportunity could potentially do alright. Especially if Twitter continues to go after non leftist views. FB is pretty safe as I've seen nothing that comes close to it.

Then you have the likes of Google with obviously flawed search results where certain ideologies are obviously pushed. YouTube has been aggressive about shutting down some conservative and libertarian content at times. There are a lot of alternatives to Google, which I haven't used outside of my work computer for quite some time.

There does need to be more online competition, and if there were, you might see some of these companies be less aggressive about enforcing their views as people would have alternatives and they need the traffic.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      I dislike Trump, but the big tech bias and inconsistencies in how they choose to enforce their terms of service is well known and has a long history of evidence. FB and Twitter have been infamous in the past for allowing the open call for the murder of Jews and the annihilation of Israel. They also have a long history of using their power to silence conservative, republican and libertarians while allowing a lot of hate field posts from the left as well as calls to violence.

Now, they're still private companies and can do so, but those biases and actions shouldn't be supported or praised. I'm a big believer in allowing businesses to proceed with business as they see fit and it being publicized so others can act accordingly. The problem with thr likes of Twitter and FB is there aren't really similar alternatives. Parler I've checked out just to see and it is comparable to Twitter and given the opportunity could potentially do alright. Especially if Twitter continues to go after non leftist views. FB is pretty safe as I've seen nothing that comes close to it.

Then you have the likes of Google with obviously flawed search results where certain ideologies are obviously pushed. YouTube has been aggressive about shutting down some conservative and libertarian content at times. There are a lot of alternatives to Google, which I haven't used outside of my work computer for quite some time.

There does need to be more online competition, and if there were, you might see some of these companies be less aggressive about enforcing their views as people would have alternatives and they need the traffic.
      I don't mean to give you a big task, but if you have any unbiased scientific data on partisan moderation, will you share it please? I understand the "general opinion" amongst Conservatives is that "they're all out to get us", but now that I'm attempting to fully cleanse myself (and others who might join me) from manipulation, propaganda, and otherwise biased information, I'd surely appreciate it.

There are so many cognitive biases: recency, anchoring, survivorship, confirmation, etc., that it's easy for a person to "feel" that they have the truth. My goal in 2021 is to not take a single political thing I hear/read at face value until I can ascertain the source and certify it with my own incredibly accurate bullshit meter. Of course my own bullshit meter is a form of bias, but my logic is/was certified Vulcan. If there is a shred of logic floating in an ocean of pure ****, I will find it. That's not to say that logic is truth, but it is a fantastic filter when critically analyzing an issue. Most humans are rife w/ illogical behaviors and processes so it's normally fairly easy for me to find the factual failure points. In fact it's effortless.

Comment

I think we agree on a lot. These companies live off if American freedoms and Capitalism, but make most of their Money overseas, much of it from countries without any speech freedoms. But they allow those totalitarian leaders those same freedoms to criticize our government, but more importantly to spread untrue propaganda. China, Iran, etc. use them to spread lies around the world and attack us.

These monopolies/trusts should be broken up instead of being allowed to act like the railroads of the 1880s or phone companies or the 1890s. These are public utilities or private companies who shouldn’t be allowed to snuff out alternatives like Parler because they don’t want to follow their rules and be a replica of them. These Big Tech companies are our new Robber Barons.
        Last edited by Shockm; January 10, 2021, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Parlor just got shut down by Amazon. They will no longer be hosting it as a platform. Even if they manage to find another hosting platform with the abilities to grow on a national scale, Apple and Google have removed the app from their stores.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Parler was used at least in part to plan the Capitol Hill attack, pushing tech companies to reckon with the part they played in the riot.

Amazon, Apple and Google have banned the Parler social networking app from their respective services and app stores in the wake of Wednesday's attack on the US Capitol by a mob of Trump supporters. Parler has been rife with violent comments since before the attack on the Capitol, and Apple and Google say they'll restore the app only when Parler moderates its service better.

"This was a coordinated attack by the tech giants to kill competition in the market place," Matze wrote, adding that his service had become "too successful too fast." He didn't address his platform's comparatively lax moderation rules or its use by extremists ahead of the Capitol Hill riot. He also didn't mention increasing concerns that social media apps, including Parler, were being used to organize another attack in the coming weeks.

Earlier on Saturday, Apple said in a statement that it had banned Parler from its App Store because it failed to appropriately police content posted by users.

Apple has "always supported diverse points of view being represented on the App Store, but there is no place on our platform for threats of violence and illegal activity," the company said. "Parler has not taken adequate measures to address the proliferation of these threats to people's safety. We have suspended Parler from the App Store until they resolve these issues."
            Apple's move followed Google's decision on Friday to remove Parler's Android app from its Play Store for similar reasons.

"We're aware of continued posting in the Parler app that seeks to incite ongoing violence in the US," Google said. "We recognize that there can be reasonable debate about content policies and that it can be difficult for apps to immediately remove all violative content, but for us to distribute an app through Google Play, we do require that apps implement robust moderation for egregious content."
            Sounds to me like all CEO's have been reasonable with their complaints and offered a straightforward solution to be reinstated on their platforms. The one unreasonable person is the Chief of Parler. Apple and Google were opening themselves up to liability at some point being the first parties that would be sued regardless of current protections in place. Lawsuits always go where the money is at.

I know nothing about Parler, but if what was going on there is as bad as described... Matze must be a fringe nutbag for letting it all happen. Would KW allow us to talk openly in here about our plans to bomb City Hall? Probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-app...apitol-attack/

Amazon, Apple and Google have banned the Parler social networking app from their respective services and app stores in the wake of Wednesday's attack on the US Capitol by a mob of Trump supporters. Parler has been rife with violent comments since before the attack on the Capitol, and Apple and Google say they'll restore the app only when Parler moderates its service better.

"This was a coordinated attack by the tech giants to kill competition in the market place," Matze wrote, adding that his service had become "too successful too fast." He didn't address his platform's comparatively lax moderation rules or its use by extremists ahead of the Capitol Hill riot. He also didn't mention increasing concerns that social media apps, including Parler, were being used to organize another attack in the coming weeks.

Sounds to me like all CEO's have been reasonable with their complaints and offered a straightforward solution to be reinstated on their platforms. The one unreasonable person is the Chief of Parler. Apple and Google were opening themselves up to liability at some point being the first parties that would be sued regardless of current protections in place. Lawsuits always go where the money is at.

I know nothing about Parler, but if what was going on there is as bad as described... Matze must be a fringe nutbag for letting it all happen. Would KW allow us to talk openly in here about our plans to bomb City Hall? Probably not.
              The FBI has requested that Parler NOT remove any posts so they could conduct an investigation. They can’t win. Shut down either way. Besides that, the terms of service say that they will only remove posts that violate the law. They are doing that. Sounds like big tech is purging right wing thought.
              Livin the dream

Comment

It's really weird... when I go to twitter and search "burn it down" (or similar), coupled with "black lives matter" (or similar), I get about as many search returns as if I put "big boobs" into the google image search function. And the well wishes for their fellow enlightened like-minded cohort run the gamut, from Portland, to Minneapolis, to Kenosha. And you know what else is weird? Stuff was actually burnt down in Portland, or Minneapolis, or Kenosha. And wait... there's more! It's all still up to see.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

The FBI has requested that Parler NOT remove any posts so they could conduct an investigation. They can’t win. Shut down either way. Besides that, the terms of service say that they will only remove posts that violate the law. They are doing that. Sounds like big tech is purging right wing thought.
                  Well then the FBI should be requesting to Apple and Google that they leave the application up on their services then right? Did Apple and Google tell the FBI to pound sand?

If it's just a matter of record-keeping, then the simple answer is to hide the offending posts and turn them over to authorities.

Also, I have no doubt that if Parler truly was a threat to some of Apple and Google's interests, they would use whatever legal means available to tip the scales in their favor. But essentially we are talking about Facebook and Twitter. Do Apple or Google have financial interests in either of those platforms? Google owns YouTube.

When you say that "big tech is purging right wing thought" and the posts in question are all about terrorism, you are inadvertently saying that right wing thought is terroristic. Are you saying that I won't find any "right wing thought" on Twitter or Facebook if I searched? Okay, I will. :)

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-top-co...witter-3303615

The Top 15 Conservatives to Follow on Twitter

Okay, I'm done searching. I think right wing thought is safe and sound on Twitter. Just don't talk about doing illegal stuff.

Comment

One of the unintended consequences is Big tech and social media companies may find themselves facing a barrage of regulation and antitrust suits. Republicans with their anti-regulation policies really have protected them up to this point. EU I think would really like to force Big Tech to break up.

Before last week’s violence, lawmakers and civil rights advocates had long been pressuring social media platforms to crack down on posts that encourage violence or hatred. While regulators in Europe have passed laws fining firms that fail to act on hate speech, the U.S. has largely left regulation to the companies.

Europe have taken notice.

Seibert also said that the freedom of opinion is a fundamental right of “elementary significance.”

“This fundamental right can be intervened in, but according to the law and within the framework defined by legislators — not according to a decision by the management of social media platforms,” he told reporters in Berlin. “Seen from this angle, the chancellor considers it problematic that the accounts of the U.S. president have now been permanently blocked.”

BERLIN (AP) — German Chancellor Angela Merkel considers U.S. President Donald Trump's eviction from Twitter by the company “problematic,” her spokesman said Monday.

Comment

Alexei Navalny who was poisoned by the Russian government, said that banning Trump from Twitter seems like something that the Russian government would do to censor him.

Among them is Russian opposition leader Alexey Navalny, who tweeted Saturday he thought Trump’s Twitter suspension was “an unacceptable act of censorship.”

Navalny reasoned in a thread that the ban was a decision based on “emotions” and “personal political preferences” as other accounts belonging to other controversial leaders like Russian President Vladimir Putin and Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, as well as COVID-19-deniers and other extremists have been not been banned.

“And yet, it was Trump who got banned publicly and ostentatiously,” wrote Navalny. “Such selectivity indicates that this was an act of censorship.”

According to Navalny, such a precedent would be exploited by the enemies of freedom of speech around the world and that whenever someone needed someone silenced, they would say “‘this is just common practice, even Trump got blocked on Twitter.'”

The Russian politician’s comments come amid a wave of social media bans against Trump and his supporters over the past 24 hours, where online platforms like Twitter, Discord and Reddit suspended thousands of accounts and groups.

In a statement Friday, Twitter cited recent tweets from the president were in violation of its policies and posed a risk of him further inciting violence, much like the U.S. Capitol riot which left five dead since Wednesday.

Other platforms like Parler, which cater to a large base of Trump supporters, far-right extremists and conspiracy theorists, have also been banned from the Google Play store and Apple App store over its content.

Facebook and Instagram on Thursday also extended a ban on Trump for at least the next two weeks, according to CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

Navalny, who is the leader of Russia’s Progress Party, has been a longtime critic of Putin and has at times criticized Trump.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7566160/t...lexey-navalny/

Comment

I read where Poland was going to fine Twitter for banning posts that don’t explicitly bread the law. Meanwhile in China, only pro government positions are allowed.

Quite the conundrum for social media.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

I think this is the problem: Big Tech is colluding to set policies. It’s like if there are three gas stations in town, and all three hike the prices in unison so they can increase profits. That’s illegal. It seems that social media and hosting platforms are colluding to determine the Overton window. Instead of profits, it is speech they wish to control, and if you control all speech and posses that level of power, fiat currency is inconsequential.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Ron Paul had his ability to access his FB page pulled this morning. No explanations. No warnings. No anything.

Ron freaking Paul. Anyone claiming they're only targeting violence and threats of violence or calls for violence are lying to themselves
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitte...than-trump-ban

Twitter 'whistleblower' leaks video of Dorsey telling staff actions will be 'much bigger' than Trump ban

Dorsey, who recently addressed the controversy over his company's decision to permanently suspend the president, told staff in a virtual meeting that Twitter will do a "full retro" that will "take some time," but drew focus to the platform's former most high-profile account.

TWITTER CEO JACK DORSEY DEFENDS TRUMP BAN, BUT ADMITS COMPANY'S POWER SETS 'DANGEROUS' PRECEDENT

TWITTER BANS TRUMP, BUT IRANIAN AYATOLLAH, LOUIS FARRAKHAN, CHINESE PROPAGANDISTS STILL ACTIVE

Comment

Working...
                              X