X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligatory S.O.P.A. thread...

Surprised not to see one here.

...and go!

Heinous. No other way to describe it. If it goes down, the Internet will change dramatically for the worse.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Only somewhat of a tangent, but highly disconcerting in the way US officials view the internet.

Want to understand just how insane things may get under SOPA/PIPA? Just take a look at what’s already happening under today’s laws. Back in 2010, one of the first websites that Homeland…

Comment

The guy who wrote the bill ironically broke the law himself: http://www.vice.com/read/lamar-smith...pyright-whoops
        "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
        -John Wooden

Comment

Just so we are clear, once this law passes the federal government would be able to confiscate his domain immediately until it goes court and he proves that he and his ISP did not violate a copyright law. Meanwhile his domain is redirected to a nice FBI page (or whatever) destroying the underlying company. With no recourse, other than to take it to court.

Shockernet's domain would be taken away if any poster copy/pastes/DISPLAYS a copyrighted image, regardless if @_kai_: knew about it. Not just images. Even copy/pasted text from an article.

Not only Shockernet's domain but the ISP that hosts it can be shut down overnight without so much of a single warning, ruining every business being hosted by said ISP. Sound bad?

Comment

Obama has announced he will not support SOPA.

The Obama administration has waded into the controversy over SOPA, the anti-piracy bill whose supporters include major entertainment industry groups like the MPAA and RIAA, and whose opponents warn it could lead to censorship and seriously threaten the existing structure of the internet.

Comment

Yea I think the Net Coalition (Google, Amazon, Ebay, Yahoo) is putting tremendous pressure on the administration and law makers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Yea I think the Net Coalition (Google, Amazon, Ebay, Yahoo) is putting tremendous pressure on the administration and law makers.
                Unfortunately so are the supporters of SOPA, the big and powerful entertainment industry. Right now, I am happy that the President is coming out pretty strongly against it. That should shut it down for now.

Comment

http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

where does ur rep stand, check here
                  I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                    http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/

where does ur rep stand, check here
                    That's a lot of support. I was surprised to see Marco Rubio supporting it.

Comment

Shocking who supports this- who says there isnt bi partisan support in Washington, this fits

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                        Shocking who supports this- who says there isnt bi partisan support in Washington, this fits

The big powerful entertainment industry can buy a lot of votes.

Comment

Originally posted by shockerofandover0943 View Post
                          That's a lot of support. I was surprised to see Marco Rubio supporting it.
                          The senate is very scary. Supporters out number opponents 48-5 in the Senate. The Supporters are only 12 votes away from being able to stop a filibuster.

The house is much more divided with supporters outnumbering opponents 32-24.

The support is suprisingly bi-partisan. Republicans support it 37-13, Democrats 42-16.

You can see why I was very pleased to see Obama come out strongly against it. The numbers in the Congress were getting very scary.

Comment

This should be a litmus test for election next cycle. Any pro-vote for this should automatically be a "no" vote for reelection when their term expires. Seriously, do these congressmen have ANY idea what they are supporting by voting yes here?

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              This should be a litmus test for election next cycle. Any pro-vote for this should automatically be a "no" vote for reelection when their term expires. Seriously, do these congressmen have ANY idea what they are supporting by voting yes here?
                              Dont think they do!

Comment

Working...
                              X