Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAC-12 Football Players List Demands

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ter-conference

"The group is also asking conference commissioner Larry Scott, administrators and coaches to "drastically reduce excessive pay" and end performance bonuses in order to help preserve existing sports. In addition to those financial requests, the student-athletes are demanding guaranteed medical expense coverage for six years after their college eligibility ends."

"The group is asking the Pac-12 to distribute 50% of each sport's conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports, to give six-year athletic scholarships and for the ability to transfer one time with impunity."

"In addition, the letter says the group wants the conference to direct 2% of conference revenue to support financial aid for low-income Black students, community initiatives and development programs for college athletes on campus."

While there are issues within this article I believe could/should be addressed, it's basically players telling the conference how to run their business of college sports. They are wanting to turn it into professional sports. What they are not seeing, is that only a few conferences and teams have any chance of being able to finance this. What happens to all of the others conferences, sports, schools, and players of all races?

I might agree with it if they take all that revenue and divvy it up among all conference levels and all teams. Of course that means there's not much left for any 1 student athlete.

Add: Kung Wu , please put this in whatever Forum you feel is best.

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

"The group is also asking conference commissioner Larry Scott, administrators and coaches to "drastically reduce excessive pay" and end performance bonuses in order to help preserve existing sports. In addition to those financial requests, the student-athletes are demanding guaranteed medical expense coverage for six years after their college eligibility ends."

"The group is asking the Pac-12 to distribute 50% of each sport's conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports, to give six-year athletic scholarships and for the ability to transfer one time with impunity."

"In addition, the letter says the group wants the conference to direct 2% of conference revenue to support financial aid for low-income Black students, community initiatives and development programs for college athletes on campus."

While there are issues within this article I believe could/should be addressed, it's basically players telling the conference how to run their business of college sports. They are wanting to turn it into professional sports. What they are not seeing, is that only a few conferences and teams have any chance of being able to finance this. What happens to all of the others conferences, sports, schools, and players of all races?

I might agree with it if they take all that revenue and divvy it up among all conference levels and all teams. Of course that means there's not much left for any 1 student athlete.
    I don't agree with the 2% of confrence revenue to support financial aid for low-income Black students.....

Why not 'support financial aid for low-income students'? You should probably have a governance model to make sure the distribution remains equitable as well. Other than that, I would hope their positions are a starter, rather than hard and inflexible. Big college sports programs are cash cows, so it would make some sense. In fact, this might have been a better solution to the whole Title IX thing than what we have now. Instead of gender equity at present revenue levels, why not do some of these things and then the net would be subject to Title IX? Seems like when we did Title IX, we substituted (in a lot of cases) scholarships for privileged white males into a system where we have scholarships for privileged white females (I know this is an oversimplification, but seriously, how many white women vs. women of color are getting these scholarships?).

Note I was not an athlete, so I didn't have to worry about having a scholarship. My 'scholarship' was a full-time job practically all the way through college.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Add: Kung Wu , please put this in whatever Forum you feel is best.
      A PAC 10 Football Players Union? This is the beginning of the NCAA having a college football players union. What a country.

Comment

My first assumption is that they mean a "net positive" revenue. Well, just how many college sports have "net positive" revenue to divide 50% of it evenly among athletes in their respective sports??? Next, how many schools within those sports have a net positive revenue??? They do understand that positive revenue from 1 sport helps to pay for other sports?

You want to really be fair? Take 50% of all positive revenue (after each school has covered its expenses for other sports) and divide it among all NCAA college athletes, men and women, evenly.

Don't like that. Ask yourself how much value there is in a college education? Don't like that either, go get a job or see how well you succeed in trying to go pro.

I'm not saying there is not some value in some of the things they are asking for. However, future student athletes checking the bottom positive revenue line of a sport at a school to see who they want to play for is nothing but professional sports. Yes, they will be told that in recruiting efforts or the future student athlete could just look it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

A PAC 10 Football Players Union? This is the beginning of the NCAA having a college football players union. What a country.
          The players are the product, why shouldn't they set the terms under which they're willing to work in a capitalist system. The Pac12 can likely find players willing to play under existing conditions. If the best players stick together they'll likely find a willing payer or blow up the college system.

Of course, this further exposes the sham of amateurism in big time college athletics. If I'm a kid in England or Germany and show promise in soccer I can sign a contract, join a team's academy and get prepared to play professionally. The NBA and NFL have outsourced their academies to the NCAA. Great deal for the NCAA and great deal for the pros. Crappy deal for the most talented players.
          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I think that colleges should be about education and scholarships. Europe doesn’t have college athletics so that doesn’t apply. I agree that colleges should stop being minor leagues for those athletes who don’t care about going to school. Scholarships are worth a lot of money to those who care. You need to know that for the 10-15 percent at the top in college athletics who will make money on college athletics, there are 85% who won’t make money. When it gets too cut throat, players will begin to lose scholarships in minor sports, college players who aren’t stars will be subject to being cut at any time, and other cut throat practices who don’t benefit the majority of college athletes will begin. The stars will benefit, but most won’t. Then you will get on your soapbox again and criticize. The unseen and unintended consequences will be the problem.

I’ll continue to watch my professional athletes on Sunday.

Comment

How about pay them what they want and remove room and board, meals, tutors. Want a full time job? Play football full time and then pay all of your expenses.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

The players are the product, why shouldn't they set the terms under which they're willing to work in a capitalist system. The Pac12 can likely find players willing to play under existing conditions. If the best players stick together they'll likely find a willing payer or blow up the college system.

Of course, this further exposes the sham of amateurism in big time college athletics. If I'm a kid in England or Germany and show promise in soccer I can sign a contract, join a team's academy and get prepared to play professionally. The NBA and NFL have outsourced their academies to the NCAA. Great deal for the NCAA and great deal for the pros. Crappy deal for the most talented players.
                If they want this, then they should be willing to accept the fact that the teams can tell them to pound sand at any time for any reason. They want to dictate terms and have a "fair market" but they also want to be immune from being held to a standard. Real life doesn't work that way. Be prepared for the schools to say if you want to be a part of this group, see ya later. Washington State football is already doing this and good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

If they want this, then they should be willing to accept the fact that the teams can tell them to pound sand at any time for any reason. They want to dictate terms and have a "fair market" but they also want to be immune from being held to a standard. Real life doesn't work that way. Be prepared for the schools to say if you want to be a part of this group, see ya later. Washington State football is already doing this and good for them.
                  Yes, what a football powerhouse:
                  1-3 in Rose bowls, last one 18 years ago.

But hey, I guess being in the Cheese-it bowl is quite an accomplishment if you are about the same level as K-Who.

Comment

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Yes, what a football powerhouse:
                    1-3 in Rose bowls, last one 18 years ago.

But hey, I guess being in the Cheese-it bowl is quite an accomplishment if you are about the same level as K-Who.
                    What does this have to do with pay for play+ demands?
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      How about pay them what they want and remove room and board, meals, tutors. Want a full time job? Play football full time and then pay all of your expenses.
                      or the schools could be smart and just say anyone who belongs to this organization cannot play for our schools and is without a scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Mostly agree. Obviously the players will only get what the market can bear.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

or the schools could be smart and just say anyone who belongs to this organization cannot play for our schools and is without a scholarship.
                          That would clearly be illegal. The schools could simply not agree to any of the demands.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

What does this have to do with pay for play+ demands?
                            So, do you think Alabama or Oklahoma would tell their players to go take a hike? Pretty easy to do if your team (Washington State) isn't racking up Rose Bowl wins and when a good season is defined by playing in such illustrious bowl games as the Weedeater bowl, cheese-it bowl.

When you see the big boys in the SEC, B12 or PAC-12 telling their players to go take a hike, get back with me. Then we can talk. There's very little risk for a middling P5 team to tell players 'my way or the highway', but when you're talking about the teams who have the biggest stars doing that, again, we can talk at that point. My guess is that they (the players) will probably vote with their feet. They will follow the path of least resistance and go where they get the best deal (which they do nowadays anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

That would clearly be illegal. The schools could simply not agree to any of the demands.
                              Given that our president seems to like to collude everyday, I don't think they can recognize what collusion is. But your point is well-taken.

However, if I were negotiating with these student athletes, my opening position would be that they would have to pay ALL of their own expenses, and I would price them out at full cost, not the cost of services less state higher-ed education allocations, or (potentially) tuition and student fees.

Comment

Working...
                              X