No announcement yet.

A Tale of Two Cities: Omaha versus Wichita

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a Wichitan, I don't feel like the Koch family owes me a darn thing. Or my city.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

"Oh no, this article may be interpreted as critical about someone I like so I'm going to disregard its entire contents and bash the source."

Sigh. Some of you guys are missing the point. The billionaires are an interesting angle, and they are a key part of differing tactics used by the cities, but there's a lot in that article that has nothing to do with the Kochs and the Buffetts.

I was born in Wichita. I grew up there. I lived there for 29 years and I still have a fondness for my hometown. But it frustrated me that the city never invested in itself. It was always pursuing this fallacy that if you just lower taxes then everyone will be better off and the economy will boom.

Also, Wichita has decided that manufacturing is the hill it's going to defend to the death, and that might very well happen. Cities pursuing an information or a professional service economy, ones that invest in infrastructure and education, and ones that create a desirable place to live are the ones that have been growing and will grow in the future.

I visit Wichita at least twice a year. I will be there again in a couple of weeks. I'm frustrated and disappointed with the lack of progress and growth since I moved in 2007. But I'm not surprised. Census numbers in 2020 will paint a dismal picture, and I hope it serves as a wake up call.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
        Another factor I believe is the support the state of Nebraska provides to Omaha, while in contrast, the state of Kansas is more focused on JoCo, Missourah. JoCo obviously is made up of a hodgepodge of cities none of which is similar in size to Wichita. Few cultural attractions, no airport, less international business yet pulls badly needed attention, resources, and focus from the state’s largest city. I might be biased and incorrect,

regardless, I’ve always been a bit puzzled with what seems like a lack of monetary support from the Kochs. Could just be though that they don’t brag as much as Buffet
        In Buffet's case, he believes helping in poor kids and their chances resting with the public schools so they support them. I also believe that I read somewhere that Buffet sent his children to publi. .c schools but I could be wrong on that. Some of Wichita's more wealthy citizens (who support public schools) do some of that, but they obviously lack the resources to do something that big. Another aspect for the city of Wichita, and USD 259, there used to be more wealthy citizens who sent their children to North (Riverside, and further west), East (College HIll), and Southeast (Vickeridge, etc.). Now those more wealthy areas are older with fewer children, as wealthy people are moving west to Maize and Goddard, and east to Andover, and maybe Derby. Other citizens send their children to private schools such as Collegiate, or of the Catholic variety.

I think that I"m correct that the Koch's don't believe in public education so they won't support something similar to Buffet. I like it when Koch spends his money on the community of Wichita but don't think it's fair to expect it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

While that may be true, Wichita is still pretty stagnant. WSU's approach may be one of the few positives to help growth.

What are others on this board opinion on why Omaha has grown and strengthened itself so much better than Wichita? It would appear to me to be the ability to not rely so heavily on one or two industries/companies. Thoughts on how to attract more diversity and growth?
          I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
            Ignoring the partisan politics of the comparo... Wichita does not receive a lot of investment from its successful residents. It's a bit of a "each man for himself" sort of town. Nothing specifically wrong with that at face value, but it does contribute to the chasm seen between Wichita and other peer cities - which Omaha is.

It pains me to say it, but Wichita has nothing on Omaha. Omaha feels like a small big city; Wichita feels like a large town. Some of that is metro size differences (900K vs 650K), but most of it not. Legitimately tons more happening in Omaha from a development, vibe, and culture perspective.

I have a lot of context too, not just a weekend in Omaha on business. It's where one half of my family originates. I'm there a lot.
            I think that a lot of people think that what is going on around the Ball park, DeLano, and other parts of the downtown including apartments/condo's, etc. as contributions to Wichita but that is being spearheaded by the government. And the business happenings around WSU are thought of as helping our city.

There are no big investment initiatives being done by any of our successful residents. A lot of money is being spent in a piecemeal approach. The Koch's have helped the Art Museum, Arboretum, and Great Plains Nature Center where they probably spent 10 Million on each endeavor. I'm sure the Carney's, Coleman's and others contribute too to places besides WSU, but we probably don't hear about it as much, but still no really big initiatives are being done to stop the brain drain. But, again, it is their money and I don't expect more than they are willing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              "Oh no, this article may be interpreted as critical about someone I like so I'm going to disregard its entire contents and bash the source."

Sigh. Some of you guys are missing the point. The billionaires are an interesting angle, and they are a key part of differing tactics used by the cities, but there's a lot in that article that has nothing to do with the Kochs and the Buffetts.

I was born in Wichita. I grew up there. I lived there for 29 years and I still have a fondness for my hometown. But it frustrated me that the city never invested in itself. It was always pursuing this fallacy that if you just lower taxes then everyone will be better off and the economy will boom.

Also, Wichita has decided that manufacturing is the hill it's going to defend to the death, and that might very well happen. Cities pursuing an information or a professional service economy, ones that invest in infrastructure and education, and ones that create a desirable place to live are the ones that have been growing and will grow in the future.

I visit Wichita at least twice a year. I will be there again in a couple of weeks. I'm frustrated and disappointed with the lack of progress and growth since I moved in 2007. But I'm not surprised. Census numbers in 2020 will paint a dismal picture, and I hope it serves as a wake up call.
              Different strategies. Why are people leaving instead of investing? Why aren’t we attracting diverse businesses/industries?

Im glad we have a strong STEM system at WSU rather than a strong arts program.
              Livin the dream

Comment

There is plenty of development going on in Wichita; both with internal and external investors.

Wichita has some fantastic opportunities for out-of-town/state investors, because their money goes A LOT further here than on the coasts.

On another note: If I am Wichita, I am on the phone with Cargill HQ perusing them to bring all of their offices from MN to here! Get out of that hellhole while tensions are high.
                The Assman

Comment

Obviously, I love Wichita, am from there, lived there most of my life, still have a mother that lives in Wichita and close family. I love visiting Wichita and such. However, Wichita is the same as it was when I was in High School 30 years ago. In a way, that's what I like, but if you are someone who likes to see progress, etc, uhhhh no. For example, when was the last building built in downtown that altered the skyline? How long has it taken to build an overpass on Kellogg past Webb road and beyond? That should have been done decades ago! The arena was nice, but again, years if not decades late.

Wichita is a fantastic place to live. But when you grow up there and stay there, you basically follow in your parents footsteps and go to the same places (albeit with different names) or different part of town. Buy your cars from the same people, go to the same church, etc. Well, maybe you are going to move on up to one of the sweet housing developments on the outskirts of town that have the same looking reverse split ranch house and decent schools because the Wichita school system is awful (I could be wrong about that, if so slap me and I apologize).

I don't know the reason for why Wichita is stagnant, but it is. Maybe it's because people like it that way. I love Wichita, but it's my hometown so I am probably bias. I don't live there anymore because, well, I couldn't find a job in my field there, maybe others are lured away with higher compensation numbers.

Also, some people may not want to come back because for all of the good things Wichita offers as a home, it totally lacks from a tourist point of view. Not saying Omaha is much better, but that has to be a factor. Wichita's location for outdoor activity is 6-10 hours away from much of anything resembling scenery.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Also, some people may not want to come back because for all of the good things Wichita offers as a home, it totally lacks from a tourist point of view. Not saying Omaha is much better, but that has to be a factor. Wichita's location for outdoor activity is 6-10 hours away from much of anything resembling scenery.
                    While it may lack in scenery from a tourist's point of view, we have found it a handy place to live to go either west, east, north, or south if traveling by car. Yes, Buggaha is closer to Iowa and Illinois if that's your thing, but we travel to Colorado, Texas, Arkansas, even Arizona fairly often.

Comment

While that may be true, Wichita is still pretty stagnant. WSU's approach may be one of the few positives to help growth.

What are others on this board opinion on why Omaha has grown and strengthened itself so much better than Wichita? It would appear to me to be the ability to not rely so heavily on one or two industries/companies. Thoughts on how to attract more diversity and growth?
                      In no particular order:

1. Lack of Political Leadership. There haven't been many in city or county government with an abundance of vision or savvy. Longwell may have been the most visionary, and that's sad. Mayans was a freakin' disaster that effectively neutered the WaterWalk. Intrust Bank Arena was a total county initiative and they were practically forced to do that because the Coliseum was falling apart and was one giant ADA violation. It came at least a decade too late.

2. Lack of Private Sector Leadership. I think this was the point of the Times article. Koch can do with his money as he pleases, but he has been (on the most part) ideologically and visibly absent in the community compared with Buffett and other billionaires. That's fine, but it leaves a vacuum that's difficult to replace. I'm glad the article has mentioned the Bastions at Fidelity--they're doing their part. Their ad campaign ("Bravely Onward") featuring Wichita was great. I know Jeff Turner at Boeing back in the day was a pillar of the community. But on the most part, leadership at Wichita's biggest companies are relatively anonymous and don't do much for the city.

3. Lack of Community Investment. Wichita won't spend money on itself. Parks, recreation facilities, and cultural institutions are woefully underfunded. Mass transit is nonexistent. Public infrastructure is outdated, inadequate, and/or falling apart. While some celebrate the fact the city hasn't raised its mill levy since the Reagan administration, that's one of the many reasons young people avoid Wichita like the plague. It's not a particularly attractive, inviting, or exciting place to live--and it shows.

4. Economy. Wichita has paid lip service to diversifying its economy, but hasn't accomplished much. It is still too dependent on manufacturing, and although it is skilled manufacturing, it's still a low growth sector. If the city had focused on developing its professional base, I doubt companies like Pizza Hut or Rent a Center would have pulled up stakes and moved elsewhere. When I do see news of companies moving to town, quite often it's call centers. You have to be kidding me. No self respecting kid is going to get a college degree and answer phones for $12 an hour. I get upset, almost to the point of anger, when I see headlines about a new call center opening up. The economic development folks are chasing whatever they can get because they're desperate.

5. The State of Kansas. Yes, KC gets most of Topeka's attention. It drives me nuts. But perhaps that's because that area is growing and it has a lot of political clout. KC's suburbs work together--Wichita and its satellites seem to be in a constant turf war. Comparisons to Nebraska aren't apples and oranges--Oklahoma is a better comparison. OKC gets that state's attention; Tulsa is the "Wichita of Oklahoma" and Tulsa has fared better than Wichita. Also, see #1.

6. CAVErs. I believe most of the stagnation is caused by people who are against virtually everything. They would come out against "being against things" if that were possible. They have an alarmingly small comfort zone and their conservative ideals have run amok. They are a large and vocal segment of the population and contribute to the problem identified in #1.

More than anything, to fix this Wichita needs an attitude adjustment. It needs to abandon the idea that low taxes and low government spending are the panacea for every problem. It needs to support its public schools, its parks, its bus system, and its museums and cultural institutions. It needs to thank the aviation industry for everything that it's done, and then make clear the city's future is white collar jobs. It needs to stop being afraid of growth. Then it needs to understand that in order to grow, it needs to be an attractive, inviting place--not just have a low cost of living.
                      Last edited by Rocky Mountain Shock; July 1, 2020, 04:36 PM.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I think that a lot of people think that what is going on around the Ball park, DeLano, and other parts of the downtown including apartments/condo's, etc. as contributions to Wichita but that is being spearheaded by the government. And the business happenings around WSU are thought of as helping our city.

There are no big investment initiatives being done by any of our successful residents. A lot of money is being spent in a piecemeal approach. The Koch's have helped the Art Museum, Arboretum, and Great Plains Nature Center where they probably spent 10 Million on each endeavor. I'm sure the Carney's, Coleman's and others contribute too to places besides WSU, but we probably don't hear about it as much, but still no really big initiatives are being done to stop the brain drain. But, again, it is their money and I don't expect more than they are willing to do.
                        Wichita confuses real estate development with economic development. If there are people working good jobs, retailers and restaurants are going to be there to serve them. Developing real estate where there is a dearth of customers (WaterWalk) is a great way to make developers money, but a poor way to make a vibrant community.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

While it may lack in scenery from a tourist's point of view, we have found it a handy place to live to go either west, east, north, or south if traveling by car. Yes, Buggaha is closer to Iowa and Illinois if that's your thing, but we travel to Colorado, Texas, Arkansas, even Arizona fairly often.
                          I agree the tourist thing is overblown. It's a scapegoat in my mind. There are growing cities in comparable settings and landscapes. And there are cities close to mountains and seas that are having Wichita's issues. This ain't the problem.

Comment

Oh no you didn't.......

Bug'aha is a complete joke.

And so is Wichita.

It's like comparing Mulvane to Augusta. W-in-the-F is the point?

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                              Oh no you didn't.......

Bug'aha is a complete joke.

And so is Wichita.

It's like comparing Mulvane to Augusta. W-in-the-F is the point?

T

I grew up in Augusta. McPherson is much nicer.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

For accuracy, Buffett doesnt give away anything. And he certainly doesn't donate to Omaha projects. He's not a philanthropist. He is giving his fortune to the Gates Foundation, but that is upon his death. He makes stock donations to the Gates Foundation now, but in relation to his wealth, they're nothing. His sister, Susan Buffett is a philanthropist. Any building in Omaha named Buffett, is named for her.

I wasn't impressed with the article. Lot of inaccuracies and misrepresentations. You dont get very far into the article when its declared that both Omaha and Wichita are Republican cities. I can't speak for Wichita, but Omaha proper is a Democratic city. Douglas County now leans Republican, but by less than two points and shrinking. Barrack Obama got the Omaha electoral delegate in 2008.
                                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X